luggage

jhud

hey, any recommendations? I'm taking a semester abroad, so I'll need to carry around a lot. I'm looking for something durable, mostly. a bit of cachet wouldn't hurt either. I'm prepared to spend the dollas for something worthy, but not on exorbitantly priced designer luggage ala LV or dior leathergoods (mm). thanks.

I use Tumi garment bags which seem indistructable the garment bags run about 450, but should last the rest of your life. Now maybe you don't need to travel with garment bags so a big canvas duffel is probably the way to go.

The high class luggage route isn't LV or Dior by the way, it's Goyard

Edited by ten100switch on Sep 11, 2005 at 02:46 PM

i've spent a considerable amount of time and energy in this subject due to previous weekly commuting over the north sea and the atlantic. my current setup, or my 4-4-2 as i call it, consists of a phillip starck duffel cabin bag on wheels which works for 90% of any trips regardless of duration and a samsonite industrial strength four wheeler for longer trips. their new carbon fibre series is feather-light, fit a small sized pakistani family and pretty much indestructable. i have a rule about never breaking sweat while travelling which means i'm serious about number of wheels (ie if it takes more than your index finger to pull it, you're doing it wrong).

for over nights i prefer mandarina duck work bag, which to my surprise seems extremely durable and may even double as a nuclear fallout shelter. it's a fantastic laptop bag - yet it may be replaced by radtech's mactruck which is customised for an apple powerbook http://www.radtech.us/Products/MacTruck.aspx -- it looks like a plain sleek aluminium briefcase. Few laptop bags carry my bitch, a k a a powerbook 17", i've noticed. i also use a gucci garment bag (clean black, no logos) for overnights. actually i ripped the little small metal logo becaused it embarressed me - you may call it the exact opposite of a canal street counterfeit.

i've never grown a passion for the tumi as many of my peers. most of them who favours tumi are also avid BMW drivers with careers in corporate finance. it may be the black leather thing that's too german for me, but tumi is your thing i suggest you check out Smartpack that are available from most high street department stores in UK: http://www.smartpack.biz/ -- which is far more space efficient with clever packaging solutions that will fit you a month of clothing in a wallet (well almost).

finally, as for carrying enough for a semester, i strongly suggest you contact an intercontinental moval service. i'm speaking from experience here as a c-class student who failed four schools on five different continents in same amount of years. you may not want to pack (or even less buy) household items like pans and duvets, especially if you're on a budget. there's no chance you'll fit that amount of items/clothing within most airlines 30 kg limit. and if you carry around a monsterous bag you won't have any place to store it when you get there, unless you want to share a 30 sq ft student bed sit with a 15 sq foot bag. besides, most IC mover charge by size (ie number of cardboard boxes, not the weight) which means it will cost you in the ballpark of an average students weekly budget for beer and pizza, at least for a british student anyway.

cheers!

this is still the best suitcase ive ever had...[pictured roughing it on a funky shanghai footpath........]

produced by sazaby in japan... bought about 5 years ago and i think they were only made in limited quantity...? i saw a new version in tokyo recently...same design with a few tweaks. never seen them anywhere else. it's really thin moulded polypropylene [i think] and superlight. was about ¥45,000 5 years ago//////

suitcaseshang.jpg

sazsuitcase.jpg

--------------------------

superslave1

http://superfuture.com

• 1 year later...