lets talk ties

ouss

aint no thread about ties round here, so this is the one.

please post only refined ties in there.

since i'm not very inspired (i'm actually looking for some), i'll give you the honor to post first. dont forget to mention where to get them!

I have a skinny black tie from n(n) that imo is not particularly shiny.

I have this brown Dior one which I think is nice, its quite a bit darker in person. the grey one is also cool, pretty basic:

88086_1.jpg88087_1.jpg

I saw a couple of nice square ones from Undercover at DSM;

img55290269.jpg

in some twisted way I like this Dries Van Noten one as well.

87970_1.jpg

For a good work wardrobe and with an unlimited budget i would go with LV or Hermes ties.

Chumps buy Hermes and the lamest of chumps buy LV.

Someone with an unlimited budget buys Kiton 7-folds, Borrelli Royal Collection, Charvet, bespoke Marinellas, and maybe Purple Label on the odd days.

Someone's been reading MC.

The UC mike posted is cool and the dries I like, I keep trying to convince myself to get it though I wouldn't get much use out of it.

Seems like I only buy black ties, I have a band of outsiders matte black oxford tie, apc knit square tie and black wool matte stephan schneider with interesting tip design I'll try to post next week.

Chumps buy Hermes and the lamest of chumps buy LV.

Someone with an unlimited budget buys Kiton 7-folds, Borrelli Royal Collection, Charvet, bespoke Marinellas, and maybe Purple Label on the odd days.

Quoted for truth.

Nothing says douche-bag more than a Hermes or Ferragamo tie in ostentatious patterns. Especially in banking.

Buying a tie from a luxury goods label (Gucci, Prada, Dior) also has douche-bag written all over it. It's all sub-contracted BS.

Borrelli is my favorite tie label. The quality of the cloth and the sheen is impeccable, as is the size of their standard ties, not too skinny but not too wide. Charvet is also quite good. Richard James is also great for that British sensibility. Paul Smith is nice for the same effect at a lower price.

My newest favorite label is E.MARINELLA NAPOLI.

They have a store in Midtown, Tokyo now.

Great Italian Napoli sensibility, they make great light-green ties.

Anyone have the American Apparel poplin neck tie?

Heard it's kinda shitty, but I need a cheap tie for this

not-really-formal thing coming up next month.

RSAG500_03.jpg

http://store.americanapparel.net/rsag500.html

Don't.

I bought a red one on impulse and I've never been able to even hold it for more than a few seconds, much less wear it. They look and feel phenomenally shitty

Ralph Lauren Black Label makes them in the 3" range. Slim but not too slim.

that's the kind of ties i'm looking for, since i am looking for an internship (banking) that will require me to wear a tie, i like the black label ones, they are over my budget though.

i own two ties : a sort of slim black one by neil barrett, and another blue one emporio armani more formal that a friend shopped for me

that's the kind of ties i'm looking for, since i am looking for an internship (banking) that will require me to wear a tie, i like the black label ones, they are over my budget though.

i own two ties : a sort of slim black one by neil barrett, and another blue one emporio armani more formal that a friend shopped for me

I'm imagining that if you want a few different ties for work and you don't have a solid job yet, you probably aren't going to have any urge to drop bank on some Kiton/Brioni/etc. ties. If you are doing an internship you don't want anything overly unique (skinny ties, odd patterns/materials), garrish (loud stripes, animal patterns) or uber-expensive looking to start with.

That being said, I'd suggest some main line RL or even Brooks Bros. ties. Decent quality, decent prices. There are a few RL factory stores in France; not sure if you are close to any of them.....

I have gotten many of my ties at their factory stores, where they usually have deals of 2ties for $50, etc. Same goes for the Brooks Bros. factory stores. Another option is Charles Tyrwhitt, which usually has decent deals through their website.

Your safest bet is just to get some non-patterned and maybe a few polka-dot/subtle-patterned in different colors:

A450.jpg

pPOLO2-4157697_standard_v330.jpg

2h3vimu.jpg

Nothing says douche-bag more than a Hermes or Ferragamo tie in ostentatious patterns. Especially in banking.

agreed

Buying a tie from a luxury goods label (Gucci, Prada, Dior) also has douche-bag written all over it. It's all sub-contracted BS.

somewhat agreed, I dont see a problem buying one that you just happen to like look-wise, but the quality is nothing to brag about. the dior tie I have actually came loose at some parts after a couple of wears, but I like the colorway, material and size of it and it didn't really cost a fortune so I don't care.

I hate printed silk ties and gaudy ties made in metallic silks that Bulgari, etc. try to market to heavy hitters in the Moscow stocks trade.

They look tacky.

My favorites are the English and English-inspired Italians such as Drake's, Marinellia, Holliday & Brown, etc. I also have a thing for extremely dated vintage ties in wallpaper patterns and such just to upset conservative sensibilities.

Holliday & Brown's collaboration with Prada also produced some interesting ties from their '60s archives.

Drake's also has a more "subversive" line called Michael Drake that makes interesting twists--I hate that term--on classic designs.

I have one in a silk repp that instead of shields or whatever has screaming Hindu god heads.

Another hideous maker I can think of is Stefano Ricci.

• 3 weeks later...

bumping this because i don't know anything about ties.

i like how ties that are 2-3" look, i guess. it doesn't matter to me where they fall in that range, but are skinnier ties considered less formal or something (as compared to "normal" ones)? or is the difference similar to having a loud pattern on a tie vs. a plain one?

i wanted to check out some of the ties mentioned, but a lot of them are pretty hard to find online. are there any stores in nyc besides saks and bergdorf (both of which suck, but they carry borrelli and charvet online, i think)? i bet these are wider than i'd like, but whatever.

would jil sander fit under "sub-contracted BS"? i saw some and liked how they looked, but i don't want to pay near-premium if it's not worth it.

would jil sander fit under "sub-contracted BS"? i saw some and liked how they looked, but i don't want to pay near-premium if it's not worth it.

anything is going to be "subcontracted" unless the house owns the factory the shit is made in. there's lots of factors in the "quality" of the tie - differing construction methods/material/etc. that having been said, you should probably buy stuff that you like and that feels nice to you if you can afford it. if you are not really into ties you probably won't care too much at the end of the day (above a certain level).

and at any rate, you should know that there are so many factors beyond quality that influence the retail price. very little clothing is actually "worth it". so just buy the jil sander tie unless you are really trying to get all patrick bateman dick size contest with your similarly well-heeled friends but that rabbit hole is never ending. i am sure the jil sander is nice enough, probably.

edit: subcontracted could also mean that the label has paid another manufacturer to (any combination of...) design/source fabric for/construct the ties (very common). this could be called "private label" or it could be a case in which the label is just licensing name and rights for the production of ties in a particular market to someone else with an entirely different manufacturing setup/QC/etc

ties i like: charvet, paul smith, one i got from norton & sons while baesting about one day being able to afford a suit, my college tie from ede&ravencroft, band of outsiders, also topman for your gay skinny silly ties for cheap.

That undercoverism one above is nice also

i want this one atm- but £80 is probably too much for it http://www.paulsmith.co.uk/ties-224/mens-tie-a7xa-show-tie-4/product.html?LproductId=6491

• 2 weeks later...