where should i study abroad?

hahaquestionmark

im looking to study abroad this fall and am trying to narrow down my prospects..if i go through my home school to macquarie outside of sydney, u of melbourne or u of queensland my financial aid will transfer which is a huge plus. im not sure of the steez factor in australia though. anyone been?

im looking to be in a decently large city with a fair amount of steez. by that i mean, i had a sick time in london, paris, montreal etc.. i have a certain fondness for the hipster female.

any recommendations for sick sufu approved universities abroad?

mcgill in montreal definitely interests me but id be getting no financial aid going there, but montreal in general was an awesome time

i heard berlin was a mad party city and clothing and the like are absurdly cheap...any thoughts?

thanksss

sorry left that out...im studying philosophy and plant science...they're both on the way other end of the spectrum from each other so typically only large universities that ive found had both

Oh... well... McGill is a good school. If you visited the city and actually liked it, then consider it because it's cheaper than most cities. Taxes in Quebec suck but getting blown in the McGill art building bathrooms might make up for it.

complete list of schools? Australia would definitely be easy goings but it might get a bit boring depending on the length of your stay...

I studied abroad the cop out way and got 60 hrs of pass/fail credits in courses taught by 20-something single women who couldn't bear to give me anything lower than an A- for the school records on account of my man beauty. It also happened to be at the world's largest women's university with a male/female ratio of roughly 1 man to every 2500 girls, and got to stay for 2 years after initially only signing up for a semester. True story.

edit- my tuition was paid to my home institute as well, making it essentially free, added bonus.

hahah sounds as though you speak from experience

nah, but it's in the newspapers often! i went to nightschool at mcgill and it was a lot quieter. the party scene amongst the fulltimers seems hardcore. not to mention the campus is pretty awesome (though spread out)

I would say don't even consider japan unless you're either really motivated to learn the language or already have a really solid foundation of it. Typically, exchange kids who don't speak end up just hanging out with each other and it's more or less like being at your home university only with a different setting.

Stockholm seems like it'd be cool for what you're looking for? Fuck if i know though. I wouldn't study in london personally, if I was to go there I'd just move there for a year or so after graduation.

Australia would be fun, but I wouldn't get anything done and just spend all day partying, which actually seems to fit well with your criteria?

Really though, you'll probably enjoy wherever you go. Study abroad is good shit.

complete list of schools? Australia would definitely be easy goings but it might get a bit boring depending on the length of your stay...

I studied abroad the cop out way and got 60 hrs of pass/fail credits in courses taught by 20-something single women who couldn't bear to give me anything lower than an A- for the school records on account of my man beauty. It also happened to be at the world's largest women's university with a male/female ratio of roughly 1 man to every 2500 girls, and got to stay for 2 years after initially only signing up for a semester. True story.

edit- my tuition was paid to my home institute as well, making it essentially free, added bonus.

Ehwa?

789g0

hey hahaquestionmark , i actually studied abroad at Macquarie Univ, i did 6 months there, and it was probally the most amazing / crazy / full on 6 months of my life. ha.....its pretty much a massive study abroad school. they call it the MUC, they have really nice dorms for you to stay in...they were built for the canadian olympic team for the olympics ...it isn't in sydney exactly, but its like a short cab ride away from northern sydney....if you have some questions about the place, whatever ya wana know. i might be able to help.

I have some experience with the university of queensland. A large amount of my friends have graduated or graduating from UQ, they studied in pharmacy, medicine, engineering and IT (nerd friends, yeah). there's certainly a bunch of hipsters in UQ but it won't even compare to the cities you've mentioned. in brisbane the groups are less dispersed, so if you're into the hipster scene you'll just be tagged as a hipster and have to go to along with all the cardigan tight jeans wearing kids to the clubs in the valley catering to a wider audience. Where as if you look into Melb U or Syd U i'm sure the hipster groups are more defined due to having more clubs catering to different tastes. That, and the hipster scene is tiny over here, so if you come here you'll probably see alot of the same faces over and over again, good and bad in some ways. UQ also has a lot of international students, back in the day they used to be mostly european but now are largely comprised of asians so the hipster scene has diminished somewhat.

On the other hand, if you're into science i would completely recommend UQ. they have a top notch campus with awesome fascilities, and I don't even go there. I go to queensland tech where there's probably more hipsters over here since we're located in the CBD.

Eitherway, studying in australia is cruisy and drinking on the cheap is easy cause there are multitudes of bars offering cheap drinks everyday of the night. Apart from dirnking and getting arrested though, there's not much else to do.

i studied at newcastle in australia, about 3 hrs north of sydney. some of the best times of my life no question. As far as Australia, sydney will give you the most diverse, exciting stuff to do. brisbane can get a bit boring but the beaches up in queensland are sick. melbourne is more hipsterish and nightlife etc is better but the weather is alot colder and shittier down there.

so if you decide on australia, i would go sydney. eventho it is a big city, not sure if thats what you want.

all in all. i <3 australia

I would say don't even consider japan unless you're either really motivated to learn the language or already have a really solid foundation of it. Typically, exchange kids who don't speak end up just hanging out with each other and it's more or less like being at your home university only with a different setting.

i studied in japan with really no language skills when i got there but if you have one japanese friend u'll pick it up quick enough to have conversations plus people are always dying to try out english with you. You really just have to put yourself out there.

Studying in Montreal is a great choice, it really is a world class city and you will have tons of fun. Montreal is a cheap place to live and McGill is a relatively inexpensive university. Also the city is crawling with hipster girls. McGill has a pretty good rep too, it does well in the McLeans rankings in Canada and people from other countries seem to have all agreed to regard it really highly (If you've ever seen the show House you'll see Dr. Wilson wearing his alumni sweatshirt now and then.) A lot of your classmates will be from the US and will want to party their balls off all the time. You might even pick up some french if you ever leave the ghetto (which is like the 4 block radius where all the McGill students live).

Oh yeah and it's super cold in the wintertime but that's OK cause everybody wears gigantic parkas.

I'm currently studying in London, it is an amazing city and there are a lot of great universities here. I'm very impressed with the quality of education I'm receiving. The job opportunities are amazing as well, and I've generally been exposed to all kinds of opportunities I wouldn't have had if I had stayed in Canada. There are lots of attractive and friendly girls all over the place too, and for culture London is really unparalleled. Your favourite bands will be here all the time and there's so much going on that missing one thing to is really no big deal because something equally great will happen in about 4 days. Making friends with British people is easy (especially if you wait till they've had a few, but that goes for Montreal too). The major drawback of London is the cost. It really is one of the most expensive cities in the world and my masters degree is costing me roughly the same amount as my entire undergraduate in Canada. McGill would be a lot cheaper. If you want to study in London to be cost-effective it helps to go to a really good school and to study something where people will want to throw money at you when you graduate.

Hope this helps!

Studying in Montreal is a great choice, it really is a world class city and you will have tons of fun. Montreal is a cheap place to live and McGill is a relatively inexpensive university. Also the city is crawling with hipster girls. McGill has a pretty good rep too, it does well in the McLeans rankings in Canada and people from other countries seem to have all agreed to regard it really highly (If you've ever seen the show House you'll see Dr. Wilson wearing his alumni sweatshirt now and then.) A lot of your classmates will be from the US and will want to party their balls off all the time. You might even pick up some french if you ever leave the ghetto (which is like the 4 block radius where all the McGill students live).

Oh yeah and it's super cold in the wintertime but that's OK cause everybody wears gigantic parkas.

I'm currently studying in London, it is an amazing city and there are a lot of great universities here. I'm very impressed with the quality of education I'm receiving. The job opportunities are amazing as well, and I've generally been exposed to all kinds of opportunities I wouldn't have had if I had stayed in Canada. There are lots of attractive and friendly girls all over the place too, and for culture London is really unparalleled. Your favourite bands will be here all the time and there's so much going on that missing one thing to is really no big deal because something equally great will happen in about 4 days. Making friends with British people is easy (especially if you wait till they've had a few, but that goes for Montreal too). The major drawback of London is the cost. It really is one of the most expensive cities in the world and my masters degree is costing me roughly the same amount as my entire undergraduate in Canada. McGill would be a lot cheaper. If you want to study in London to be cost-effective it helps to go to a really good school and to study something where people will want to throw money at you when you graduate.

Hope this helps!

thanks for the awesome input, it was definitely what i wanted to hear as london and montreal are my two highest ranking destinations...we'll see how things work out..

does anyone know if i would be allowed to work in either of those cities while studying there for a semester?

thanks guys all this information has been awesome...what are everyones thoughts about university college london and city university also in london? anyone had any experience at either?

one is a really good uni (UCL) one is crap (city) that's essentially it :P. dunno what your grades are like but you'll need to do Advanced Placement's probably needing 5554 i would guess for UCL.

I have some friends there and it seems pretty cool, don't go to japan, no employer will have heard of any uni except tokyo :P

• 2 years later...