April 77 S/S 08

home

14.jpg

18.jpg

Don't like the vest, but the shirts in these two are great. The second is certainly nothing incredible, but the collar and cuffs look perfect and I'm sure the price will be reasonable. Can you buy anything other than the jeans in the U.S.? I see the odd jacket pop up on occasion, but that's about it.

It's fucking April 77, they're not going to be re-inventing the wheel.

Here, let me lay out next season for you: super skinny pants, a pair of slightly looser dress pants, vintage-styled polos and jackets + a few pieces of outerwear and styling based on some sub-genre of primarily guitar-driven music / a particular musician.

In fact, you may be surprised to hear that's what they've done every season.

However, I won't disagree with the "cheap" comment. Again, though, it's April 77. I'm not sure what sort of quality you're expecting.

I wish the trousers still had a very extreme taper. The jeans too, for that matter. Last season's colordrives were not tight enough around the ankle. I'd still like to try on a pair, provided they aren't super low-rise.

The shirts, in theory, look great, but I can't imagine wearing a dress shirt of such awful quality. I'd save my money.

they really want to be a sub-culture friendly brand and they wear their influences hard, but ive always enjoyed what they put out. the shirts and jackets are always things made by sears 1960-1989 and can easily be found at thrift stores, but their jeans and pants are still their bread n butter.

icarus, i know what you mean, i have 5 pairs of their pants/jeans and everyone has a different sizing even though they are all joeys. gotta always try them on in person.

It's fucking April 77, they're not going to be re-inventing the wheel.

Here, let me lay out next season for you: super skinny pants, a pair of slightly looser dress pants, vintage-styled polos and jackets + a few pieces of outerwear and styling based on some sub-genre of primarily guitar-driven music / a particular musician.

In fact, you may be surprised to hear that's what they've done every season.

However, I won't disagree with the "cheap" comment. Again, though, it's April 77. I'm not sure what sort of quality you're expecting.

I actually retract my "cheap" comment after viewing this on a better monitor. I'm expecting the same April77 quality I've seen on their other collections, this one looked cheap in comparison to that, but now after seeing it on a better monitor, it looks on par with the other shit they've put out in the past. That being said, I like the second jacket, the frames, and the haircut..

Hello,

This may sound ignorant and hopeless, but this is my problem:

I have just recently discovered this designer (of April 77) and i really like his stuff. Currently, I am attending college in Sarasota, fl, so i have no access to a store that sells this brand (or at least anywhere close that i know). I have found a few websites which sell the jeans and some polos, but what could i do (without traveling) to get my hands on some of the jackets, blazers, or shirts?

Does anyone offer a proxy service, know of a website, or have any ideas?

Thanks,

julian

I can't stand A77, everything looks like terrible copies from dior homme SS06.

It's all so emo-ish wannabe retro.. and yes the quality is definitely very very very cheap..

This being said, the major April clientele here in Paris is around 14-16 years old, even the hipsters have pretty much jumped wagon... oh and don't even get me started on the wayfarers lol...

I can't stand A77, everything looks like terrible copies from dior homme SS06.

It's all so emo-ish wannabe retro.. and yes the quality is definitely very very very cheap..

This being said, the major April clientele here in Paris is around 14-16 years old, even the hipsters have pretty much jumped wagon... oh and don't even get me started on the wayfarers lol...

i don't get this "emo-ish wannabe retro" nonsense you're talking about. a77 was established to be a direct fashion line between april 1977 punk fashion and a modern interpretation. yes, dior has done similar things, but many designers for a long time have been doing a mod/skin/punk/rocker inspired style. theres very little "emo" posturing to this brand. if you look at any picture of elvis costello from his attractions period you can see what some of the main influences of this line are. i don't find much "emo" about elvis costello aside for the fact he is an "emotional" song writer.

that being said, a77 is directed towards a younger constituency. the designs are slim and general cut for those of a smaller stature and slight build, so you see young-hip culture embracing the designs because it is A) cost effective B) decent quality C) reflects the culture they are trying to adhere to. wayfarer's have never gone out of style and have had a surge in popularity because many designers are championing classic designs again, a77 included. sorry to write a dissertation, but your logic is sorta flawed. it's fine to dislike it, but don't shrug off the brand as a throwaway if its so popular.

personally, i like the collection, and if i wasn't so tall i'd be inclined to wear this stuff, but while i know its decent to poor quality in construction, i think the aesthetic of the brand is great and it sticks to its image, unlike other brands that have such personality crisis' (i.e. DIOR).