japan, denim, and other stories.

taskforce

ok. so im moving to japan and so i thought i ought to take advantage of it. im considerably new to the denim game, i read plenty of articles on here, and i was wondering how to tell if the denim is good or not. other than selvage, what else should i be looking for. does the slubiness of the denim determine the quality. or should i just memorize a whole list of brands and buy by that. how can you tell that 45rpm pair is better than a lets say evisu pair. how do you know that evisu in japan is better than evisu in USA. is it just a solid fact, or can you actually tell which is better through personal observation. what im basically asking is what to look for when you buy an excellent piece of denim. have a nice day.

A clean and compact weave, a deep blue color (usually a very very dark blue also means high quality), double ring-spun (should be easy to spot), strong stitchings, chainstitching...

Copper rivets and hiden rivets on the back pockets are a plus. Slubiness, unevenness, selvedge.

If you have specific information about the company and it's production methods, you can look for:

Zimbabwean cotton, cotton harvested only once a year, yarn dyed cotton, how many dips to dye, what's the method of dyeing (mass-produced or artisanal), 100% cotton stitching, besides the things you can see like attention to detail, good construction, etc. Felled inseams are also a plus but not very common on vintage repros. A right-hand twill (diagonal lines from bottom left to upper right) means more durability and better fades (if I'm wrong someone correct me).

If you don't want to get into all these details you can just ask for the best Japanese brands because they're pretty much all top quality. It's not always the case, but mostly the garments completely made in Japan with selvage and copper rivets are great.