Kim Jones and Dunhill

Guest jmatsu

WHERE THERE'S SMOKE: Does Dunhill have its eye on hot men's wear designer Kim Jones? According to sources, the British luxury goods firm is recruiting a creative director and has been in talks with Jones, among others. Jones had no comment Tuesday and Dunhill could not be reached for comment.

this will b interesting. any gossip or info much appreciated...

weird! kim jones is such a hustler - topshop/mulberry/umbro so does this mean dunhill is launching a "fashion" line like prorsum?

or is kim jones going to design "dunhill" type stuff?

• 2 weeks later...

it be interesting but there have been many rumors floating around kim and varying creative director jobs for various brands since the summer MCQ was another big rumor but who know theres also been word some of these rumors could be coming from his camp so in thory just raising his profile if he looks in demand?who knows really.

Longtime Hint friend Kim Jones has just signed on as the new creative director of Dunhill, the high-end English men's label. He'll be designing not only Dunhill's collections, but also its legendary leather goods and accessories. Congrats, Kim! Here, a quickie Q&A...

How did the deal come about? Did they just ring you up? Are companies constantly ringing you up?

Dunhill came through Floriane de Saint Pierre, who approached me last October. I do have a lot of people calling. I would say I get around four calls a month, but this was a very big call.

At first glance, Dunhill's image doesn't exactly mesh with yours, which is probably why they sought you out. Are they looking for a new kind of customer?

You'd be surprised. At the moment, around 50% of their sales are casualwear. And I am quite the English gentleman, as you know!

Who was the Dunhill customer, and who is it now with you in charge?

Dunhill has a very loyal following of a wide variety of guys. All I want to do is introduce it to a different person, without alienating the older customer.

What direction will you take the brand? Will you go dandy? Punk? Street hustler?

I will take it modern. That's what Alfred Dunhill was all about: luxury, travel and the best of everything.

What does this mean for your own line?

I'm stopping my line to focus on this. It's a dream job for me to do a British men's house and I want to give it all my time. I'd like to use this opportunity to say thank you to all the people that have supported me and my team.

Will Jude Law stay on as the face of Dunhill?

Absolutely. Although, at the moment, I do have an odd crush on Kermit the Frog. Is that weird?

• 2 weeks later...

WGSN (04.02.2008) :

Menswear designer Kim Jones debuted his diffusion line KJ by Kim Jones at MAN last season, but unfortunately for fans it was to be a short-lived venture.

Spring 2008 will see the final collections for both his main and diffusion lines as he steps up to become creative director of Dunhill. This new position will also see an end to his long-standing partnership with British sports brand Umbro - for whom he has designed a capsule collection since 2003.