singapore - general discussion

defiance

21 - yeah the minimum age is 23 for guys. the way the ladies' minimum age has a NS modifier (-2) points to some retarded contrivance - they seem to think that there is a base age from which people emerge with the basic level of education or maturity / sophistication they wish to build around the velvet underground identity. but people arrive at different stages of education at age 21 / 23, depending on their route and with different degrees of life experience. and some 25++ year olds behave like retards anyway. so yeah fuck this minimum age thing.

the last time i tried to get in i got ID-checked. i skipped over to attica and never tried again. i'll give it another shot on 13th june, worth a try for H&LA.

i am guessing they just don't want a bunch of baldies (NS), Singaporeans seem to have a stigma about people with crew-cuts or short cuts ?

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

i'm here, today's my last day though, leaving for bkk tomorrow morning - wait are you based in bkk now?

having a friend of a friend take us around, mostly just eating and drinking. chilled at the rooftop bar at the screening room, then headed zouk on friday which wasn't too bad. checked out the new club stereolab last night, it was pretty dead (18 year olds and old white men) but the space and sound system seem to be promising. walked around clarke quay just to see it, i figured it'd be the LKF/Xintiandi of singapore. glad we didn't follow the crowd to attica/sluttica...

going to kazu to eat tonight. had some food at big d's grill yesterday and some sin hoi sai after clubbing (prawn paste covered fried chicken yum!)

no shopping really, maybe some today - but i haven't really looked into it at all so it'll mostly be wandering around... i think around arab st. or something.

yeah, should've went to the dubstep party too. i would've planned ahead if i wasn't following a crowd around or if you guys posted in here i would've made the suggestion to go there instead!

kazu was good - chicken liver sashimi was surprisingly good, definitely try it even if you aren't into liver (i'm not). i got too full to try the snow drop dessert though.

yeah, should've went to the dubstep party too. i would've planned ahead if i wasn't following a crowd around or if you guys posted in here i would've made the suggestion to go there instead!

kazu was good - chicken liver sashimi was surprisingly good, definitely try it even if you aren't into liver (i'm not). i got too full to try the snow drop dessert though.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

hey guys, I'm going to singapore in mid-Nov, can anyone recommend me a cheap accommodation? Preferably around Orchard cos I'm not familiar with the city.

Not looking for anything too fancy as I'm probably gonna be out all the time. Just looking for a safe place to put my bags and sleep if i can't crash on my friend's couch. thanks!

and laksa in ghetto place with lots of conch in it.

and indonesian bbq chicken (cold @ room temp)

and tiantian hainanese chicken rice

and congee at maxwell... which was probably my favorite thing in all of singapore--- and i don't even LIKE congee usually.

Guest arcenol

i might be doing an architecture internship in singapore next spring, so ill need a place to stay for 6 months. any good/cheap/decent suggestions or starting points to look?

• 3 weeks later...
TOJ bump since my ass is landing here next week for a sloppy fun filled weekend.

Reminds me of the time I was walking through Little India with whizkit after 1AM.

We walked through the red light district there, never saw so many Indian hookers sitting in staircases in my life.

Velvet has a "fashion show" by blackmarket next sat, you should go.

word. definitely noted. i'll be arriving a bit late (10pm) on Friday night and I'm thinking my late night food options might be limited before I proceed to get piss drunk and get somewhat lost before I head out to a club but if someone can shine on some food options at that time it would be greatly appreciated.

hotel check in and hit the streets running by 1030ish, i'm hoping i can get some food asides from the usual bar treats.

Food options aplenty at that time. Best place to check out, as usual, is the ''notorious'' Geylang area. I really like ''Wen Tou Sek'' dimsum along Sims Ave near Lorong 19, I think. Basically depends on where you are putting up and what grub you are looking to get. Let me know if you might need any help.

word. definitely noted. i'll be arriving a bit late (10pm) on Friday night and I'm thinking my late night food options might be limited before I proceed to get piss drunk and get somewhat lost before I head out to a club but if someone can shine on some food options at that time it would be greatly appreciated.

hotel check in and hit the streets running by 1030ish, i'm hoping i can get some food asides from the usual bar treats.

thanks Terry! I'll be staying at the Ritz Carlton but will go anywhere for some really good food options at that time.

i'm not really price sensitive so bring it on dude. tell me where i can get some food and drinks before i hit whatever club.

thanks!

oh yeah, looking to buy a watch too. details on that would be much appreciated. budget from 2-5K USD.