singapore - general discussion

defiance

She was telliing me how her jeans are branded. For the life of me, I have not heard of the brand before. But she proudly told me it is branded and famous in China and she spent close to US$100 for it. Not a small amount by China standards. I wont spend what a common worker can earn in China in a month on jeans that is only famous in China.

On another note, I was actually wearing my DH New Emperor Penguin jeans when I met her and she didnt even know squat on that.

Dosent that make you ignorant like her

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to clarify, I come from a stateside point of view. In no means am I implying that other ethnicities are not guilty of it. RATHER, most Korean Americans exhibit this sort of materialism in a widespread manner here as a subconscious yet active way of participating in American culture, or becoming Americanized. A lot of younger first gen kids here are particularly wealthy or middle-upper class, so you'll see a lot of Koreans here in art school drenched in brands (which is exactly how their mothers are as well).

So, not to make this into a finger pointing game of ethnicities, my comment was purely a joke about the connotation of Korean people in larger social settings. This by no means excludes the proportional consumption of product, material or not, by countries such as China that surely dwarf others countries in question.

So, don't be such a Jew about things, okay? I love all consumer-whoring Asians, especially Defiance. ;)

gotta understand sid, (most) singaporeans can't take a joke. can't stand to be jacked. and sure as hell can't grasp american dysphemism.

Tisswat if you had more specific questions maybe we could help you

I already posted my request earlier in this thread. Sorry if I wasn't being specific enough for you.

In the meantime, please continue to fill this thread with more chit-chat and the occasional flamewar. It makes an awesome contribution to the board already! icon14.gif

sg's gotten a whole lot cooler as we're ending the noughties. when i go home now, i don't complain. singaporeans are living the good life. stable government, stable economy, good shopping, good clubbing. i kinda hate it when people tell me there's nothing to do in sg or sg is not tky/ldn/prs/ny. of course its not, its fucking sg. don't blame the country if you're fucking boring.

with all the new enclaves sprouting up (dempsey, rochester, haji lane, ann siang etc.), we're certainly getting more interesting places to go to. plus can go to the durian to watch shows, cinemas are out with everything super fast.

some dictations on food from the gospel of the kpnv.

exact places are not super important cos quality is good overall. everyone has their fave chicken rice joint (mine's tian tian @ maxwell food center) or bak kut teh place so no point fighting over whose is the best. just follow the queues. if you're trying tian tian, go at 11am for lunch (maybe 10.30) then shop @ ann siang.

almost everything is cheap and good. unlike some of our asian neighbours, sg has the advantage of cleanliness. i'd rather not spend half a holiday in the toilet, and i also say bollocks to dirty=flavor. just pop into any hawker center or restaurant that looks packed enough or is within reach. if you just must have the best, you'd should migrate to make your own list.

Streetfood - old chang kee if you need some oily, deep fried goodness. there's a few in orchard. go to tangs basement and choose from fish cakes, otah, yakitori and quench it all down with some sugarcane juice.

Prata - the bread of life. what the fuck else do you eat after a night out heavily drinking and partying at 4/5am? some prata with fish curry and a teh alia. its not so much the prata, but the after party breakfast set to the rising of the sun. any prata joint is a gateway to indian/malay cuisine so try some soup kambing or some tulang for that cannibal steez.

Breakfast - prawn beehoon/carrot cake/porridge @ hawker centers, dim sum/yum cha (try crystal jade for convenience), more prata, and kopi joints like ya kun where you can get a kopi-o and 2 half boiled eggs with kaya toast, a singaporeanization of western breakfasts.

Hawker centres/food courts/coffeeshops - this is where 100% of singaporeans eat during the day. we invented fucking food courts. try a three course meal, with a starter of oyster omelette, a main of char kway teow and a dessert of cheng teng or eat with 3 friends and get a 12 course degustation menu in quaint surroundings. the ones @ isetan/vivocity are a good place to start.

Peranakan - something unique to malaysia/singapore. its not quite malay, not quite chinese, not quite indian. its peranakan. and they make pork satay. which rocks. ivin's is kinda outta the way @ bukit timah/amk. blue ginger is in town.

Sweets - local sweets are so damn exotic. stuff like ondeh ondeh, ang ku kueh, kueh dodol. find a bengawan solo and you're sorted. dessert places are great too, chendol, bobo chacha. the names are cool enough.

Fine Diners - singapore has got cheap-ish fine diners compared to the rest of the world. this is down to cheapo diners bred on hawker centers. not quite like a 3 star establishment in france but just try one, like iggy's @ regent hotel for instance.

Chillax - haji lane/dempsey/rochester are good places for evening dinners or just drinks. this is where its at right now.

Holland - nice bars and pubs, good restaurants like original sin for vegetarians or pieces of the da paolo empire.

Laksa - must have cockles. go to kallang in the east.

Seafood - fish head curry in little india. pepper crabs @ east coast. teochew style steamed fish at any chinese restaurant worth its salt.

Satay - dipping sticks of charcoaled mutton slivers into a peanut curry is highly enjoyable.

Drinks - try some grass jelly or soy bean milk or mix them up. (one friend calls it

michael jackson) the process of ordering coffee and tea can also reach starbucks proportions if you're as anal as to order a "teh-c alia gao peng-inno". which is ginger infused tea with unsweetened condensed milk, served thick on ice with foam on top. (this doesn't actually exist yet i think.) Even the myriad variety of Yeo's and Pokka should be interesting as well.

Communal Eating - if its chinese new year, lo hei and steamboat with a chinese family/friends. learn some phrases and swoon some old ladies and bam, red packets fulla cash in your pocket. then there's malay weddings, which is green packets instead. oh, and you get to listen to amateur, wannabe indie bands as you eat. popiah/kway pie ti is fun too if you get to make it yourself. indian religious festivals can also be wonderful foodie experiences.

If anyone wants, I'll ask my friend for his list of bars/pubs to visit which will include his dissertations on the 4 floors of whores and assorted local indie bands.

singapore's fun when you're here for a couple weekz on holiday, but when you stay here for yEARS it's a different story. plus national service is too fucking long. 2 years???? DA FAK.. am i the only singaporean on the board who's serving teh nation right now?

tisswat i hope kpnv's post satisfies you for a while

brown or black?

I dunno, but it's really fucking tasty. At least everything I ate that had that tasted good (and the same)!

singapore's fun when you're here for a couple weekz on holiday, but when you stay here for yEARS it's a different story. plus national service is too fucking long. 2 years???? DA FAK.. am i the only singaporean on the board who's serving teh nation right now?

tisswat i hope kpnv's post satisfies you for a while

Nah, tweed's is on violin duty. (0)

sorry. fixed for grammer.

dude... korean fella, living in japan.. with a screen name , "aniki"

doesn't say too much about your korean pride.

so..... だまれ、馬鹿。

only god can judge me

Did anyone watch the Bourdain episode on singapore? Ive never tried sharks head

the jackson food centre serves it to what... anw anthony bourdain is blah...

nv really seen him cook before... to me he is more like an executive head show chef..

the head has all the collagen that is shiok... lol

i m serving soon... :( :( in april i think...

out of curiosity, did you guys have to bite off chicken heads whilst in the NS? I had a friend in the airforce division and apparantly it was their version of fun (instead of group jerking i spose). other than him, my other sg friends just decided to denounce their citizenship out of pure lazyness.

Whoa, KPNV laid it down... pretty on the money too on all counts

Man Hellogoodbye, 2 yrs, 5 day weeks, higher pay and ur still complaining? Damn if I didn't get fired out from my old man's balls a few years too early. Goddamn army keeps getting softer... from the days of getting trained by israeli commandoes to this... 10 yrs time, we'll just buy up all the gurkhas and have them serve instead. But seriously, time goes by man, though the last few months always seem the longest.

Suntorytime, biting off cockheads? Now that shit is messed up. You sure your friend gave you all the details?

lawl proteus.... they could cut NS to 1 year and people would still complain it's too long.. :D

anyway suntory time i think your friend meant quail's heads. and they don't fuckin bite it off, they twist it off to kill the quail. part of some jungle survival course shit

tisswat don't u love all this inside info???? does this thread live up to your expectations now???? shit is classified man i shouldn't even be talking about this.

tisswat don't u love all this inside info???? does this thread live up to your expectations now???? shit is classified man i shouldn't even be talking about this.

It sure does!

Man, I wish I could be drafted for the army.. too bad I'm not a teenager anymore.