singapore - general discussion

defiance

dude second from the right top photo has the same key chain as you do.

heh heh heh heh hehh hehh.. particularly concentrated in the cine/heeren area.

yeah. one in red and TWO others with the black one. fuck that shit. i completely stopped using it a week ago.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah. one in red and TWO others with the black one. fuck that shit. i completely stopped using it a week ago.

good.. then you can pass to me.. :D

really? why?

i LOVE singapore girls.

they can be super gorgeous and hot.

not to mention most of them are at least semi-intelligent

plus they're generally multi lingual.

much love for them.

they CAN be.. but.. their steez just isn't right for me, or the other way around. the whole must-have mentality is a real turn off. by generally multi-lingual, you mean most of them speak mandarin predominantly, and those that speak english well, are very often too full of themselves. singaporean girls generally want all and nothing, both at the same time. FUCKED UP. i cant deny tho, there ARE some nice ones around.

I take it you've never been introduced to a Sarong Party Girl (SPG)??

fuck i want to be introduced to an SPG. i think with my head, not my dick.

excerpt from the straits times.

January 25, 2008

by Michelle Tay

Orchard Road puts on a full frontal act to woo shoppers

Paragon Shopping Centre is spending $45 million on a facelift due to be completed in October in which the mall's glass-and-granite cladding will make way for pop-out, glass-boxed shop fronts facing Orchard Road and featuring luxury labels. These will include Italian marque Gucci, which will turn shoppers' heads with a glitzy, five-storey facade.

Of course, adding dazzle to this razzle will be the eagerly awaited $1.35 billion worth of new malls soon to open along the Orchard stretch, such as Ion Orchard, next to Wisma Atria, and Orchard Central, opposite The Centrepoint.

Ion Orchard, at the prime position of Orchard Turn, will have six international luxury brand names - Prada, Giorgio Armani, Dolce & Gabbana, Cartier, Christian Dior and Louis Vuitton - form an 11m-tall, 117m-long facade when the building opens early next year.

Down the road, Ngee Ann City is launching its own charm offensive, updating its landmark red marble facade.

It will double the retail space of two of its Orchard Road-facing tenants, French luxury labels Louis Vuitton and Chanel, by mid-2008 and late 2010 respectively. Each brand will also have its own facade design.

Retailers are excited too. Ms Amy Lim, general manager of Macquarie Pacific Star Property Management, which owns Wisma Atria and Ngee Ann City, said the facelifts will "enhance the attractiveness" of the shopping strip.

The Far East Organization-owned Orchard Central, due to be completed later this year, will feature a suspended "jewel box" shop on the outside of the building. It will also boast a 160m-long frontage - the longest among the Orchard Road malls, says Far East, to give tenants maximum visibility.

By 2011, Singapore's main shopping street will be lined with at least 14 new two-storey flagship stores boasting international luxury brand names. And there is space on the 2km strip to accommodate more.

The Singapore Tourism Board - which recently unveiled a $40 million rejuvenation plan for Orchard Road, including landscaping - estimates 1 million sq ft of retail space will open up on the street. This is thanks largely to the opening of Ion Orchard, Orchard Central and another big newbie, Somerset Central, above Somerset MRT station, by next year.

Orchard Road puts on a full frontal act to woo shoppers

These will include Italian marque Gucci, which will turn shoppers' heads with a glitzy, five-storey facade. will have six international luxury brand names - Prada, Giorgio Armani, Dolce & Gabbana, Cartier, Christian Dior and Louis Vuitton - French luxury labels Louis Vuitton and Chanel, by mid-2008 and late 2010 respectively. Each brand will also have its own facade design.By 2011, Singapore's main shopping street will be lined with at least 14 new two-storey flagship stores boasting international luxury brand names. And there is space on the 2km strip to accommodate more.

The Singapore Tourism Board - which recently unveiled a $40 million rejuvenation plan for Orchard Road, including landscaping - estimates 1 million sq ft of retail space will open up on the street. This is thanks largely to the opening of Ion Orchard, Orchard Central and another big newbie, Somerset Central, above Somerset MRT station, by next year.[/indent]

FOR!? FOR FUCK THATS WHAT. Adding more Gucci.. LV, Chanel.. we have all that shit already.. why try to squeeze as many of these stupid shops into 2 km for? Its not like we really have to walk SO FAR from Ngee Ann City's Gucci to Paragon. FOR FUCKS SAKE, ITS ACROSS THE ROAD, AND THE ROAD AINT THAT BIG.

Call this a rejuvenation plan? The STB is building a highway to hell.. sure.. Singaporeans love their rubbish luxury goods.. but, is every single fucker going to buy a damn gucci bag? or their fag ass clothes?

Then again, who am I to blame? Can't really blame the government for the local pattern of spending. Lousy singaporeans and their retarded sense of fashion aesthetics has left us with an abyss of nonsense luxury goods. wish people here were more adventurous.

本当馬鹿

fuck i want to be introduced to an SPG. i think with my head, not my dick.

My info is stale. Just look for the bars where all the Ang Mo hang out and you'll find them. Perhaps the bars near the Financial district or on Clarke/Boat Quay.

My info is stale. Just look for the bars where all the Ang Mo hang out and you'll find them. Perhaps the bars near the Financial district or on Clarke/Boat Quay.

ahhh.. well.. no interest, sorry!

SPG = SIA airstaff? Is this correct?

nahh.. thats probably an over-generalization.

defiance - exactly. the Orchard Road stretch is only some 2 km long.. and we waste it with multiple MNG stores and LEVIS sections in like what, 4-5 depatos in the district? why not expand, bring some OTHER FRESH SHIT IN? yeah, the want to embrace an unique culture.. that the nation will have a distinct culture just like nyc and paris. my ass. the structure erected around this notion, is nothing but a method to flush it down to ghost-town-ville. take it from the hyperconsumers that LV and Gucci is not needed anymore..

for starters, maybe this country's predominantly chinese populous could be more experimental for a change. for one, everyone should stop spending so much fucking money on dumb ass things like cars and use the public transport system instead.

it seems like every thread to do with Singapore turns into a rant (at least for me) at one point or another.

thats because besides the food, homeliness, safety levels, good economy and the close proximity of everything from family to friends to food to products,

everything else irates us.

having said that though, I gotta give in to the fact that maybe store chains like your luxury brands, levis, mango, topshop etc just end up opening new stores cause they're the only ones who can fill up the mall floorspaces?

singaporeans are truly truly convenience shoppers (hence the appeal of big departmental stores and one-stop apparrel houses like topshop, zara etc)

with unique-ness comes more low end small boutiques, which either don't have the capitol to pay that kind of premium rent, or refuse to take the risk that there is a big enough percentage of specialize shoppers here.

i don't know. i mean... i'd say i'm your average person. in honesty, i think i dress averagely, i'm from an average family background, i went to average schools all my life and i live in an average area. average intelligence, average looks. blah blah. you get the picture.

but i mean, i hear a lot about the alleged gold digging of singaporean girls [apparently second to shanghainese women] and how they love their western boys.

then i go there for holiday, and almost everyone that i met struck me as being really friendly and pretty down to earth. if not for the fact that most of them have a tendency to be a bit of a braggart. boasting about this and that when... really... they're not that great? i don't know. it's hard to explain.

i agree with the oversaturation of international brand names though. it seems that almost every shopping mall sells the exact same thing. then again, you guys have far east plaza. i think that place is great! full of these little stores you can buy the weirdest trinkets from. and not too overpriced neither.

why take public transport and wait for cabs/buses/trains in the sweltering heat and humidity when you can travel not just at your own convenience, but also the comfort and privacy of your own car ;P

I hate to break it to you guys, but every major city in the world has at least one main shopping street/area filled with Zara, H&M, Footlocker, Mango, McD, GAP, [fill in your local variety]. It's no different in a city like, say.. Paris. It's really not that surprising that Gucci, LV and Chanel are the first to settle on Orchard. Let's face it: too many stores filled with what is currrently hot among the 'fashion forum few' would never survive on Orchard Rd. If they did, you would probably wouldn't want to shop there anymore.

I really don't see the problem of looking beyond the major shopping areas to find the more exclusive stuff. I (have to) do that everywhere I go. Isn't that what makes it cooler in the first place?

It would be nice if more local designers would emerge. Are local designers/artists supported by the government in any way?

dude, tisswat, its not about big brands opening up stores in a central shopping district. its about the same big brands opening up more and more and more outlets on essentially the same street.

small shops get no love. local designers get no love. most local designers love doing what they do for probably five years, and then pull out because the profits not there and you just can't survive on just doing what they love doing. most singaporeans are budget. bahhhget.

Supporting local designers by spending is never enough. People have to team up and organise themselves to put the creative side of Singapore on the map. Start a magazine, organise a party, hell.. organise a fucking alternative fashion week or something. Find sponsors, get 10 local designers together and organise a showcase. It can't be that hard!?

Plongin you're right.. too much complaining. Luckily defiance is here to brighten up the day with some useful guidance. Now how about those bars?

That's the way to go. BARS! Anyone have any secret little spots that they wanna blow up?

I remember Clarke Quay having great concepts and awesome bars. Except they all seemed to be next to each other, and while they all belonged. They didn't really... BELONG.

But the great part of Singapore would be it's grimy, 16SGD for a jug of San Miguel [cheap, yes?] places [Cuscaden Bar and Patio] and then you have those places like New Asia Bar.

To be honest though, my personal favourite bar in Singapore would have to be Kandi Bar @ Clarke Quay. Modelled after the whole Hed Kandi thing. Totally psychedelic and makes decent sized drinks for reasonable prices.

Much love.

Supporting local designers by spending is never enough. People have to team up and organise themselves to put the creative side of Singapore on the map. Start a magazine, organise a party, hell.. organise a fucking alternative fashion week or something. Find sponsors, get 10 local designers together and organise a showcase. It can't be that hard!?

Plongin you're right.. too much complaining. Luckily defiance is here to brighten up the day with some useful guidance. Now how about those bars?

believe me, everything you've mentioned has been tried before, it just doesn't work.

look at every other lady in the working society - if it's not Gucci, it's LV - and this applies to much of the general public too. it's evolved into a situation where people buy branded/designer labels to be recognised by their peers, to show off their financial status, etc. there's a mentality that "if i'm going to spend so much on a designer product, i must make sure the whole world knows how much it costs", and everyone ends up buying gaudy monogram trash.

tisswat, complaining about everything is what makes us singaporean :P