Actually...

29A Seah Street

Singapore 188385

hours:

monday to friday 12noon - 9pm

saturday 2pm - 9pm

sunday 2pm - 7pm

stocks:

federation, fifth avenue shoe repair, freitag, gsus, hells bells, jerome olivet, k karl lagerfeld, ksubi, munich, religion, tretorn

Ambush

119 Devonshire Road

Singapore 239881

hours:

email: [email protected]

stocks:

alakazam, bernhard willhelm, casetteplaya, henrik vibskov, house of holland, jeremy scott, kid america, kokon to zai, original fake, thecobrasnake, zoltar

The Asylum

22 Ann Siang Road

Singapore 069702

hours:

monday to friday 12noon - 9pm

saturday 12noon - 7pm

Billet Doux

45A Arab Street

Singapore 199743

(Entrance via 16A Haji Lane)

hours:

stocks:

alex & chloe, common projects, the flat head, passarella death squad, sling & stones, stephan schneider, svensson jeans

Blackjack

Forum The Shopping Mall

583 Orchard Road #01-10

Singapore 238884

hours:

stocks:

acne jeans, alexander mcqueen, marc by marc jacobs, raf by raf simons, swear london, y-3

Club 21 Men

Four Seasons Hotel Shopping Arcade

190 Orchard Boulevard #01-09

Singapore 248646

hours:

monday to saturday 11am - 7pm

sunday 12noon - 6pm

stocks:

alexander mcqueen, balenciaga, comme des garcons, dior homme, jil sander, junya watanabe, kris van assche, maison martin margiela, marni, neil barrett, number(n)ine, pierre hardy, undercover, viktor & rolf, yohji yamamoto

COMME des GARÇONS Guerrilla Store

11 Mount Sophia #01-01

Singapore 228461

hours:

monday to saturday 12noon - 7pm

closed on sundays

email:

Fred Perry [Laurel Store]

19 Ann Siang Road

Singapore 069699

hours:

monday to saturday 12noon - 8.30pm

sundays 12noon - 6.30pm

Front Row

5 Ann Siang Road

Singapore 069688

hours:

monday to saturday 12noon - 8pm

closed on sundays & public holidays

stocks:

a.p.c., cosmic wonder, umbro by kim jones, woods & woods

Know It Nothing

51 Haji Lane

Singapore 189244

hours:

stocks:

call of the wild, ctrl clothing, cutler and gross, garni, julian red, maiden noir, new balance, obedient sons, p.a.m., puma, swear london, trainerspotter, ubiq, umbro by kim jones, vans, woodwood

The Lawn

38 Ean Kiam Place

Singapore 429123

hours:

monday to sunday 12noon - 8pm

Levi's Flagship Store

The Heeren

260 Orchard Road #01-07

Singapore 238855

hours:

Queen's Couture

The Heeren

260 Orchard Road #04-01

Singapore 238855

hours:

monday to sunday 11am - 10pm

stocks:

2k by gingham, april77, caste, cheap monday, chronicles of never, good society, junk food, ksubi, skull jeans by an alchemist, sugarcane, svensson jeans

Style:Nordic

39 Ann Siang Road

Singapore 069716

hours:

sunday 12noon - 5pm

stocks:

burfitt, denimbirds, filipa k, gram design, nudie jeans, pour, rodebjer, and random furniture

Surrender

119 Devonshire Road

Singapore 239881

hours:

stocks:

headporter, headporter plus, neighborhood, surrender, svg, visvim

VENUE LAB

The Heeren

260 Orchard Road #01-05

Singapore 238855

hours:

stocks:

bikkembergs, nuala, puma collaborations (mcqueen, mihara yasuhiro, 96 hours)

Wooonderland

Wheelock Place

501 Orchard Road #02-10

Singapore 238880

hours:

stocks:

dr. denim jeansmaker, edwin, rvca

excerpt from the straits times.

January 25, 2008

by Michelle Tay

Orchard Road puts on a full frontal act to woo shoppers

Paragon Shopping Centre is spending $45 million on a facelift due to be completed in October in which the mall's glass-and-granite cladding will make way for pop-out, glass-boxed shop fronts facing Orchard Road and featuring luxury labels. These will include Italian marque Gucci, which will turn shoppers' heads with a glitzy, five-storey facade.

Of course, adding dazzle to this razzle will be the eagerly awaited $1.35 billion worth of new malls soon to open along the Orchard stretch, such as Ion Orchard, next to Wisma Atria, and Orchard Central, opposite The Centrepoint.

Ion Orchard, at the prime position of Orchard Turn, will have six international luxury brand names - Prada, Giorgio Armani, Dolce & Gabbana, Cartier, Christian Dior and Louis Vuitton - form an 11m-tall, 117m-long facade when the building opens early next year.

Down the road, Ngee Ann City is launching its own charm offensive, updating its landmark red marble facade.

It will double the retail space of two of its Orchard Road-facing tenants, French luxury labels Louis Vuitton and Chanel, by mid-2008 and late 2010 respectively. Each brand will also have its own facade design.

Retailers are excited too. Ms Amy Lim, general manager of Macquarie Pacific Star Property Management, which owns Wisma Atria and Ngee Ann City, said the facelifts will "enhance the attractiveness" of the shopping strip.

The Far East Organization-owned Orchard Central, due to be completed later this year, will feature a suspended "jewel box" shop on the outside of the building. It will also boast a 160m-long frontage - the longest among the Orchard Road malls, says Far East, to give tenants maximum visibility.

By 2011, Singapore's main shopping street will be lined with at least 14 new two-storey flagship stores boasting international luxury brand names. And there is space on the 2km strip to accommodate more.

The Singapore Tourism Board - which recently unveiled a $40 million rejuvenation plan for Orchard Road, including landscaping - estimates 1 million sq ft of retail space will open up on the street. This is thanks largely to the opening of Ion Orchard, Orchard Central and another big newbie, Somerset Central, above Somerset MRT station, by next year.

In response to, where to find cloth for tailoring

Womens' go to Arab Street. You'll find PLENTY there...

Mens' I am not so sure but I think there are a few in High Street Center on the first floor. I think there were a fewi in Katong Shopping Center on Mountbatten Road. Its been a while since I've been to Katong so my information is old.

Best bet is go to Arab street and ask the people in the shops there for mens' fabric shops. I recommend V.K. Abdul Samad & Co., on 66 Arab Street. Owner is a nice man, if he doesn't have what you are looking for he'll suggest a few shops for you that you can go to.

Good luck whatever you are finding

in response to Where to alter blazers

clancy's, far east plaza.

food/general

sg's gotten a whole lot cooler as we're ending the noughties. when i go home now, i don't complain. singaporeans are living the good life. stable government, stable economy, good shopping, good clubbing. i kinda hate it when people tell me there's nothing to do in sg or sg is not tky/ldn/prs/ny. of course its not, its fucking sg. don't blame the country if you're fucking boring.

with all the new enclaves sprouting up (dempsey, rochester, haji lane, ann siang etc.), we're certainly getting more interesting places to go to. plus can go to the durian to watch shows, cinemas are out with everything super fast.

some dictations on food from the gospel of the kpnv.

exact places are not super important cos quality is good overall. everyone has their fave chicken rice joint (mine's tian tian @ maxwell food center) or bak kut teh place so no point fighting over whose is the best. just follow the queues. if you're trying tian tian, go at 11am for lunch (maybe 10.30) then shop @ ann siang.

almost everything is cheap and good. unlike some of our asian neighbours, sg has the advantage of cleanliness. i'd rather not spend half a holiday in the toilet, and i also say bollocks to dirty=flavor. just pop into any hawker center or restaurant that looks packed enough or is within reach. if you just must have the best, you'd should migrate to make your own list.

Streetfood - old chang kee if you need some oily, deep fried goodness. there's a few in orchard. go to tangs basement and choose from fish cakes, otah, yakitori and quench it all down with some sugarcane juice.

Prata - the bread of life. what the fuck else do you eat after a night out heavily drinking and partying at 4/5am? some prata with fish curry and a teh alia. its not so much the prata, but the after party breakfast set to the rising of the sun. any prata joint is a gateway to indian/malay cuisine so try some soup kambing or some tulang for that cannibal steez.

Breakfast - prawn beehoon/carrot cake/porridge @ hawker centers, dim sum/yum cha (try crystal jade for convenience), more prata, and kopi joints like ya kun where you can get a kopi-o and 2 half boiled eggs with kaya toast, a singaporeanization of western breakfasts.

Hawker centres/food courts/coffeeshops - this is where 100% of singaporeans eat during the day. we invented fucking food courts. try a three course meal, with a starter of oyster omelette, a main of char kway teow and a dessert of cheng teng or eat with 3 friends and get a 12 course degustation menu in quaint surroundings. the ones @ isetan/vivocity are a good place to start.

Peranakan - something unique to malaysia/singapore. its not quite malay, not quite chinese, not quite indian. its peranakan. and they make pork satay. which rocks. ivin's is kinda outta the way @ bukit timah/amk. blue ginger is in town.

Sweets - local sweets are so damn exotic. stuff like ondeh ondeh, ang ku kueh, kueh dodol. find a bengawan solo and you're sorted. dessert places are great too, chendol, bobo chacha. the names are cool enough.

Fine Diners - singapore has got cheap-ish fine diners compared to the rest of the world. this is down to cheapo diners bred on hawker centers. not quite like a 3 star establishment in france but just try one, like iggy's @ regent hotel for instance.

Chillax - haji lane/dempsey/rochester are good places for evening dinners or just drinks. this is where its at right now.

Holland - nice bars and pubs, good restaurants like original sin for vegetarians or pieces of the da paolo empire.

Laksa - must have cockles. go to kallang in the east.

Seafood - fish head curry in little india. pepper crabs @ east coast. teochew style steamed fish at any chinese restaurant worth its salt.

Satay - dipping sticks of charcoaled mutton slivers into a peanut curry is highly enjoyable.

Drinks - try some grass jelly or soy bean milk or mix them up. (one friend calls it

michael jackson) the process of ordering coffee and tea can also reach starbucks proportions if you're as anal as to order a "teh-c alia gao peng-inno". which is ginger infused tea with unsweetened condensed milk, served thick on ice with foam on top. (this doesn't actually exist yet i think.) Even the myriad variety of Yeo's and Pokka should be interesting as well.

Communal Eating - if its chinese new year, lo hei and steamboat with a chinese family/friends. learn some phrases and swoon some old ladies and bam, red packets fulla cash in your pocket. then there's malay weddings, which is green packets instead. oh, and you get to listen to amateur, wannabe indie bands as you eat. popiah/kway pie ti is fun too if you get to make it yourself. indian religious festivals can also be wonderful foodie experiences.

If anyone wants, I'll ask my friend for his list of bars/pubs to visit which will include his dissertations on the 4 floors of whores and assorted local indie bands.

Food blogs(Some good infomation here)

http://www.aromacookery.com/

http://www.chubbyhubby.net/blog/

http://www.superfinefeline.blogspot.com/

http://ieatishootipost.blogspot.com/

Clubs.. etc

ok some quick club/pub reccomendos i gleaned off my mate's smses. i've added my own anecdotes but i must say i'm more a foodie than a raver.

Zouk

-its a fucking institution, if you come to singapore, don't go zouk, you haven't lived. every name worth dropping has played here. so good its even been faked in KL. they pretty much play anything and everything and always stay ahead of the curve.

Clarke Quay

-in recent times, its been revitalized quite a bit. its perfect for a dinner and a pub crawl. get some grub and hit wanna deez.

attica, kandi bar (hed kandi), crazy elephant, the clinic, barfly, fashionbar, forbidden city/cocoon and of course

MOS - the UK import.

Butter Factory

-robertson quay, hip-hop, electro, r&b. colorful graffiti-esque decor.

Raffles City area

Raffles Hotel Long Bar - cliched as it might be, this is where the Singapore Sling was invented by Ngiam Tong Boon and you can soak up that colonial steez. I always remember those tourist brochures where they say Somerset Maugham, Rudyard Kipling and Ava Gardner stayed there.

New Asia Bar - swissotel stamford, raffles city. basically this bitch is 70+ storeys up in the air.

Loof - rooftopbar @ odeon towers.

Sentosa

-this is the tourist island at the south of singapore, linked by a bridge. nowadays there's actually life on Sentosa after the sun sets. this is also home to Zoukout. come in the day, one of the chillax spots @ sunset, st. james power station @ night.

KM8, Cafe Del Mar

-chillout on the pleasure island.

St. James Power Station

-one of the newer places which is basically massive as the name suggests. its really 10 clubs in 1. the powerhouse is where its at basically. or you could always cheong (rave?) with the uncles @ dragonfly or wherever.

Holland V

-mentioned this place before, some ok pubs etc.

Wala Wala - live music, rock, pop etc.

One Rochester - not quite near holland but its worth hitting, whether for dinner or just drinks. or just go to Graze or Da Paolo's for din din.

Dempsey - again, not quite holland, well its off holland rd but there are a few very nice wine places here and a quite shitty balinese place.

try ps cafe, wine company, wine network.

Sexytime

-as staid as we might appear on the surface, we actually have institutions of the red lighted persuasion. the 4 floors of whores i mentioned to in my earlier post is actually orchard towers. if you're so inclined, you can head there to check out the latest chinese imports. or try these places.

-angeles @ duxton rd

-club kabuki @ cairnhill place

-orchard ktv @ orchard towers

-geylang, really better for the food than anything else. try some durians, frog's leg porridge etc etc and then feed your other appetite. in fact, nowadays, if you say "go geylang", people understand you're going to jiak ba ba (eat), not piao ji (whoring). which sounds like a good coverup.

-yangtze (chinatown), ok this is basically where "horny old men in trenchcoats" go to spank the monkey, its the only cinema in singapore that has the latest in crappy r rated movies.

-random carparks, basically singaporeans are too cheap to get a room, which means its always the car. east coast is quite popular, although there are any number of obscure spots ranging from lim chu kang cemetery to the top of bishan block 235.

I visited Zouk in 2004. For "a fucking institution" it's pretty disappointing. The let me cut the queues so that I didn't have to wait in line. The Velvet part had an okay crowd but I couldn't help thinking I was in a hotel lounge. The rest was totally generic. Shitty music (the crowds were wooing when they played Nina Sky), I remember that one R&B room was too crowded and the male/female ratio was indeed terrible. It's quite surprising to me that so many people still call it one of the best clubs in (SE) Asia.

There was another club called Liquid Room which I found more interesting. At least the DJ that night (a local guy) was awesome. Is it still around/any good? Lots of girls there without their army of brothers/cousins/bodyguards like in Zouk. Friendly staff. Hooked up up with some Japanese exchange student. When it closed, a group of Singaporeans took me and some friends out to this excellent but dodgy restaurant for nasi ayam or whatever. Good times.

I remember stumbling upon a club/bar named RAV, where they were doing some kind of beauty pageant. I think I was the only foreigner in there. To say the locals didn't like my presence there is an understatement.

Also went to New Asia Bar - nice for an afternoon cocktail and a cool view over the city, but it filled up with expat bankers in suits later on - not my favourite crowd. I think this is where I would bring my parents for drinks.

Stopped by a few places on Clark Quay, but I don't really remember anything specific about it.

I don't do prostitutes, but please do share about those 4 floors of whores. It should make an interesting read at least.

i'm hoping for the latter too, but do understand that contribution isn't just a one-man job... already doing my part! (#2)

True. I hope you understand was pretty clear that my comments weren't aimed towards you. I'm just hoping that this thread will surpass supertrash level. And based on your posts, you seem to hope so too.

I for one would like to see some bar and restaurant reviews, preferrably with pictures of the interiors. What's the clientele like? When should I go where? Which places are hot and/or undiscovered? What's the dodgiest food stall with the most excellent nasi ayam? Where to get the best roti? Any decent mamak restaurants? And what the hell happened to Q-bar? It seemed like a pretty cool idea, but I heard the management was dodgy and it closed already. This is the type of information I would like from a thread like this. The stuff that only locals can tell me. I don't want to hear about Zouk or the night safari, because I can look that up in any shitty tourist guidebook. So please, my dear Singaporean friends.. help your fellow superfuturians out. Make my visit to this thread and to your city worthwhile. Thank you.

End of rant - now on with the show.

I was just in Singapore for a week during the first week of January. Not knowing much and where to go, I just went around wherever I could find info from the net.

I find that there are some individual stores in Haji Lane that are worth a look. I tried going to Billet Doux, but they had a "Will be back at 6pm" sign. :(

Of course crazy shopping happens at Orchard Road. You can spend an entire there or two there. So much malls with so much cool clothing, accessory, and etc stores.I am told that the stuff tends to be more expensive there, but to me it's still cheap. Plus...I'm on vacation....might as well spend away! Some notable places to go to is Far East Plaza and Heeren. My time in SG was a bit short so everything was quite rushed. Kinda regret it, but I'll be back at the end of the year!

Queensway shopping center is a good place to go for sneakers. The entire first floor was made up of nothing but shoe stores. JUST CRAZY! :eek: There are some other smaller shops up stairs that carry some pretty cheap clothing (cheap for me being a Canadian). Some of the clothes can be quite stylish depending on your style, but make sure you check the quality...some shirts I bought have shrunk quite a lot. Oh yea...Limited Edt Vault is at this mall too.

Food is fantastic in Singapore. CHEAP too! I find that you can go to any restaurant/food stall place...and find good eats. Of course once again, that's coming from a me who do not get to eat that stuff a lot. I recommend eating some Roti Prata (Try to find the stalls that make them fresh).

Also, there is an Indonesian buffet restaurant in Orchard Road. I believe it is called Hot Plate or something along that line. I do not remember the building it was in, but I am sure you can find it in the phone book or maybe the Singaporean locals in here call tell you. Apparently, it gets quite busy there at times. Approx $18 SGD per person I believe. Bring your appetite since it is a buffet.

The people in Singapore are SUPER nice. Just an example...It was raining really hard and I didn't bring an umbrella. I just had a hoodie and that did nothing. Fortunately, there was a lady nice enough who offered to share her umbrella with me since she was going to the MTR station. Thank you so much lady! People there are also very approachable. You can ask them for directions and they will help you out...I can't say the same for HK. >.>

If you're into clubbing and pubs, I was told Zouk and MOS are the popular places. Didn't go so I'm not sure. Holland Village is a great place to go to chill and grab some drinks. There is this entire street that is just bars. Alcohol is a bit expensive, but if you go during happy hour, you get the buy 1 get 1 free deal. At least that's what I got at the bar I was at.

Public transportation is really convenient and really easy to navigate. The MTR comes quite often and quickly.

If you're from a country that has colder climates (In my case, Canada)...ALWAYS bring some water or something to drink out with you. It's HOT and HUMID.

On a final note, being a guy and all....the ladies in Singapore are gorgeous. ;)

I think I might have spouted too much. If what I have posted is off topic...I'm sorry. Thanks.

I was just in Singapore for a week during the first week of January. Not knowing much and where to go, I just went around wherever I could find info from the net.

I find that there are some individual stores in Haji Lane that are worth a look. I tried going to Billet Doux, but they had a "Will be back at 6pm" sign. :(

Of course crazy shopping happens at Orchard Road. You can spend an entire there or two there. So much malls with so much cool clothing, accessory, and etc stores.I am told that the stuff tends to be more expensive there, but to me it's still cheap. Plus...I'm on vacation....might as well spend away! Some notable places to go to is Far East Plaza and Heeren. My time in SG was a bit short so everything was quite rushed. Kinda regret it, but I'll be back at the end of the year!

Queensway shopping center is a good place to go for sneakers. The entire first floor was made up of nothing but shoe stores. JUST CRAZY! :eek: There are some other smaller shops up stairs that carry some pretty cheap clothing (cheap for me being a Canadian). Some of the clothes can be quite stylish depending on your style, but make sure you check the quality...some shirts I bought have shrunk quite a lot. Oh yea...Limited Edt Vault is at this mall too.

Food is fantastic in Singapore. CHEAP too! I find that you can go to any restaurant/food stall place...and find good eats. Of course once again, that's coming from a me who do not get to eat that stuff a lot. I recommend eating some Roti Prata (Try to find the stalls that make them fresh).

Also, there is an Indonesian buffet restaurant in Orchard Road. I believe it is called Hot Plate or something along that line. I do not remember the building it was in, but I am sure you can find it in the phone book or maybe the Singaporean locals in here call tell you. Apparently, it gets quite busy there at times. Approx $18 SGD per person I believe. Bring your appetite since it is a buffet.

The people in Singapore are SUPER nice. Just an example...It was raining really hard and I didn't bring an umbrella. I just had a hoodie and that did nothing. Fortunately, there was a lady nice enough who offered to share her umbrella with me since she was going to the MTR station. Thank you so much lady! People there are also very approachable. You can ask them for directions and they will help you out...I can't say the same for HK. >.>

If you're into clubbing and pubs, I was told Zouk and MOS are the popular places. Didn't go so I'm not sure. Holland Village is a great place to go to chill and grab some drinks. There is this entire street that is just bars. Alcohol is a bit expensive, but if you go during happy hour, you get the buy 1 get 1 free deal. At least that's what I got at the bar I was at.

Public transportation is really convenient and really easy to navigate. The MTR comes quite often and quickly.

If you're from a country that has colder climates (In my case, Canada)...ALWAYS bring some water or something to drink out with you. It's HOT and HUMID.

On a final note, being a guy and all....the ladies in Singapore are gorgeous. ;)

I think I might have spouted too much. If what I have posted is off topic...I'm sorry. Thanks.

1. For Queensway, the shoes are de rigeur 30% off. More for older models. So if someone sells you for lesser discount than that, insist on 30%. That does not apply to Limited Edition Vault which does limited shoes.

2. BTW are you white caucasian male?

I didn't buy any shoes from Queensway. Didn't really see anything that I liked. Plus, my bag was getting kinda filled up with gifts and etc.

Can you actually get discounts from Limited Edt? What about trying to bargain at stores in Orchard Lane? I didn't really do any bargain. Don't really have the talent for it and didn't want to waste my time just to get a few extra bucks off.

I'm a Chinese male. Was born in Brunei, but moved to Canada when I was quite young.

I didn't buy any shoes from Queensway. Didn't really see anything that I liked. Plus, my bag was getting kinda filled up with gifts and etc.

Can you actually get discounts from Limited Edt? What about trying to bargain at stores in Orchard Lane? I didn't really do any bargain. Don't really have the talent for it and didn't want to waste my time just to get a few extra bucks off.

I'm a Chinese male. Was born in Brunei, but moved to Canada when I was quite young.

What is Orchard Lane? If Orchard Road and those retailers, no.

If its those shops in Lucky Plaza, yes.

Havent shop in Limited Edn before.

hey do anyone of you know where to purchase good fabric for tailoring ??

Mens' I am not so sure but I think there are a few in High Street Center on the first floor. I think there were a fewi in Katong Shopping Center on Mountbatten Road. Its been a while since I've been to Katong so my information is old.

Best bet is go to Arab street and ask the people in the shops there for mens' fabric shops. I recommend V.K. Abdul Samad & Co., on 66 Arab Street. Owner is a nice man, if he doesn't have what you are looking for he'll suggest a few shops for you that you can go to.

thanks alot !!

Does anyone have a good place to alter blazers?

I sent some shirts/ t-shirts/jeans to Winning tailor in Peninsula Plaza when I was back a month ago. They were fairly thorough, made sure they knew what you wanted, and made sure you know what the end product was going to be like. Great service, But I'm looking for a shop thats a little more specialized in formal wear. Any idaes?

Does anyone have a good place to alter blazers?

I sent some shirts/ t-shirts/jeans to Winning tailor in Peninsula Plaza when I was back a month ago. They were fairly thorough, made sure they knew what you wanted, and made sure you know what the end product was going to be like. Great service, But I'm looking for a shop thats a little more specialized in formal wear. Any idaes?

clancy's, far east plaza.