Shrink-to-fits And Non-Sanforized Denim

Geowu

Here's some questions:

- How much do Shrink-to-fit (STF) jeans generally shrink in the waist?

- Are Japanese non-sanforized jeans (Studio D'artisan in particular) equivalent to most STF?

- If not, how much do Japanese non-sanforized jeans (Studio D'artisan in particular) usually shrink in the waist?

- How much do they stretch with prolonged wear if they have never been shrunk?

(Here's the case: a size 36 [studio D'artisan SD-103] supposedly fits me properly after shrunk. A size 34, when not shrunk, is what I'm considering because it has the raw denim lustre, so I want to know how much does it measure before shrunk and how further does it stretch).

- How much do Shrink-to-fit (STF) jeans generally shrink in the waist?

I think this depends on the weight and quality of the denim (others can weigh in here).

- Are Japanese non-sanforized jeans (Studio D'artisan in particular) equivalent to most STF?

Considering that most STF made today are Japanese, then they would be mostly similar. However, Studio D'Artisans will shrink more than the current Levi's STF 501, which barely shrink at all.

- If not, how much do Japanese non-sanforized jeans (Studio D'artisan in particular) usually shrink in the waist?

1.5 - 2 inches in the waist.

- How much do they stretch with prolonged wear if they have never been shrunk?

To be honest in all of my experience with raw denim, all jeans tend to stretch about the same amount. I first thought that jeans of heavier weight would stretch less, but I think it has more to do with the strength and tightness of the yarn than the weight of the weave. My 13.5oz Nudies have stretched a little bit less than my 14.5oz Julian Reds, which have stretched less than any of my APCs (14oz?). Since I have only worn my Studio D'Artisan SD-105s once so far (keeping them new, since I may be giving them to a friend), I don't know how much they will stretch, but if you're within 0.5-1.5 inches of the waist size, they will definitely accomodate.

For your case, I would advise you to get the size 36. The dry denim lustre will eventually perish in any case, whether or not you wash them, and you'll be stuck with jeans that you can't wash because they'll either be too small or as tight as your New Standards, which you've expressed are far too tight.