Hi-Fi Nerds?

gimmegimme

Any hi-fi nerds out there? I'm looking to buy a turntable (for listening purposes...not dj).

I'm looking for any advice on setups with regard to preamps, amps/receivers, etc. I'm eyeing the Pro-ject Debut III as a starter model, along with one of the Pro-ject preamps.

I'm also looking into the Audioengine A2 Powered Speakers, which get great reviews.

81rin0o.jpg

I wouldn't say i'm a nerd, but i work in that industry. Pro-ject is a SOLID brand. The debut is nice. I don't know much about those speakers, but that's probably the hardest thing to choose. Go to a lot of different places and choose which sound you like best. Nice speakers all sound nice but they all sound different, a lot has to do with preference.

From what I am familiar with, I know pro-ject is an awesome value. If you want an awesome value in speakers, I'd go with Monitor audio, Vienna Acoustics, or Martin Logan. All depending on your listening preferences and available budget, of course.

Whats your budget for the entire system?

^ you work in the industry, you're a nerd. ;) (not a bad thing)

The Debut runs around $400 in Canada, and the basic preamp is $150 (they also have a sweet tube amp for only $400). I guess I was looking to spend around $500 on the table/preamp, but that's not looking so realistic.

Speakers are my 2nd priority. I have a B&O Beosound 1 that I'm going to hook the table up to initally...but if that sounds like shit, I'll be looking for speakers. Any opinions on powered vs. non-powered? Powered seem much more versatile, but not really easy to find???

You could always opt to go for headphones. headphones are much cheaper in terms of sound quality to price ratio compared to speakers. And you can easily buy a good hp amp to suit your needs.

I did look into that, but I think I'd rather have speakers...more freedom, etc.

Powered speakers are great if you spend a lot of money. Most recording studios use powered speakers. The theory behind this is that amplifiers are overengineered to be able to drive all kinds of speakers, and most speakers are overengineered to accept the power of many amplifiers. The result is a sound that is unbalanced and unecessary. Of course, most fully active (powered) speakers are not good. But there are some that do it right.

If you're considering that path, yes it is a lot more sleek and simple. I'd consider the Martin Logan Purity if you want the full range sound or some actual studio monitors if quality mid-range sound is your concern. M&K is also a good brand for fully active monitor speakers, but you have to be careful because there are a lot of fakes. Honestly though, I have very little knowledge in fully active speakers.

Passive (non-powered) speakers, you obviously have a lot more to choose from.

What do you like to listen to? What kinds of music will be played on this most often?

By the way, headphones are cool if you don't necessarily want to feel like the artist is in the same room with you. Headphones can't image or pressurize a room.

I guess I was looking for a "beginner" package. I'm not an audiofile (yet), I don't know a lot about it, but I was something decent quality that will last me for maybe 5-10 years, and then I can look into upgrading when I'm comfortable spending more. I mostly listen to R&B and electronic/lounge type music.

My objective at some point would be to integrate all my audio and visual equipment together. I'd rather get an inexpensive preamp, and direct it toward a home theatre receiver, and for the time being use the speakers I use to watch tv (Anthony Gallo Nucleus Micros & TR-1 Sub). I realize satelites & a sub aren't ideal for music, so at some point I'd be looking for full speakers as well.

Can you elaborate on integrated amps vs. preamp & amp/receiver combo? I don't see many amps that have phono inputs.

What I would do if I was you is get a HT Receiver with a phono input, This way you have the best of both worlds. There are a lot of nice receivers out there that have phono inputs. If you still wan to have a dedicated phono preamp, you can go ahead and get it, and just run it into any input on the HT Receiver. If you are looking for a good beginner system and R&B and electronic/lounge type music, you will absolutely want a sub. For that type of music, mid-range, mid bass, and bass are going to be most important.

Preamp & Amp seperates will sound better because there will be less noise/distortion due to the processing and amplification being done in seperate components. Its a nice thing to have but only necessary in the audiophile world.

What I would probably do if I was you would be to invest in a solid turntable (pro-ject is awesome) and a solid HT Receiver with a phono input and/or a solid HT Receiver and a phono preamp feeding into the HT Receiver. As far as the speakers, are your B&Os floorstanders or not? Either way, you will definitely want to go with a subwoofer. I recommend either a Martin Logan Grotto, Velodyne (not familiar with their models but one that is servo controlled), or a REL subwoofer if you can get your hands on one. These are all subs that provide accurate, deep bass. If you get a subwoofer that has a lot of MIDbass, it will muddy the sound of the speakers. Any of these subwoofers will be great for music and movies and can be had for under $500 easily.

I know it may seem like a lot, but the items and route I am recommending to you is stuff that you will most likely never replace down the line.. eventually you can add on to the system but these key pieces you'll never have to change out.

I'm a total Hi-Fi nerd (home and automobile..)..

A few days ago i got a Rega P2 turntable:

http://www.rega.co.uk/html/p2.htm

I did quite a bit of research before buying and it seemed that for the price i couldn't get much better.. I think the total after the cartridge was around $650, but i got a hefty discount from my audio shop cause i've bought so much from them for all my stores and my home.

In my living room i'm running a Rotel amp and B&W speakers/sub...and Paradigm in the bedroom..

I did quite a bit of research before buying and it seemed that for the price i couldn't get much better.. I think the total after the cartridge was around $650, but i got a hefty discount from my audio shop cause i've bought so much from them for all my stores and my home.

In my living room i'm running a Rotel amp and B&W speakers/sub...and Paradigm in the bedroom..

Rega was my other option...they're model line-up looks very similar to Pro-ject's. I'm going to go to a local 'audiophile' store this week to talk to the guys there about the differences. They carry both lines. I think the P2 is the competition for Pro-ject's Xpression III.

Which B&W model so you have? They make some great speakers.

Poopie - I was initially thinking of setting up the turntable with the B&O, but I think now I am going to take your advice and set it up with my HT setup. I already have a decent Gallo Accoustics subwoofer and speakers, so I should be set. It seems if you want a HT receiver with a phono input, you have to go pretty high up the chain...the lower end models don't seem to have one, so I'll probably go with a phono preamp for that task. I'm looking at the Cambridge Audio Azur340 receiver. I like all the HD video switching options (although my current flat panel doesn't have HDMI, I'm sure whatever tv I have in the future will).

Thanks again for the tips!

does the p2 have the same shielding problem as the p1 that produces hum when you use grado cartridges? i'll eventually need to replace my aging sota moonbeam but no way am i leaving my grado reference behind. i use paradigms but they are out of the price range for this discussion (as is most of the gear i'd recommend)

very nice kiya..

I dont have much of a 2 channel setup, but in my theater room I have a Sony HS51 projector, outlaw seperates running M&K 750 speakers with tripoles in the rear and two M&K subs equalized by a feedback destroyer to within +/- 3 dbs down to 20 hz.

Just got a ps3 due to warner signing exlusively to blu-ray last week. Looks like the HD format war is about over.

I'm a vinyl converting nerd. Here's my setup is anyone is interested:

Numark TTX1 with an Ortofon Concorde Arkiv cartridge and an Audioquest Sorbogel mat. This is run by an Audioquest S/PDIF cable into my Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro.

I then have a Headstage Lyrix Pro running my Denon AH-D2000

Not the greatest stuff, but not the worst.

Do you guys recommend using a vinyl cleaning solution with or without enzymes?

I know Phoenix and another brand make a version with and a version without enzymes..

Here's a pretty good selection of record cleaning solutions and brushes:

http://www.sleevetown.com/vinyl-cleaning.shtml

That's where I get my stuff from, Kiya. If you look at the pictures and read closely, both actually come with enzymes to give a cleaner finish. I don't know why they put more emphasis on it with the larger bottle though.

I also use the mobile fidelity brush, it works wonderfully.

So the bullet has been bitten...ended up with a Pro-ject Xpression III and Phono Box MM. More than I was initially going to spend, but after seeing them in person, the Debut III looked cheap in comparison (which is technically true). Came with an Ortofon 2M Red catridge...was was nice as many websites list a much cheaper cartridge. I'm pleased. Pic doesn't do the arcrylic platter any justice...

producto5104fy6.jpg

Thanks. TT's are a bitch to set up. :eek:

How are they difficult to set up?

How are they difficult to set up?

Its my first...so its more the whole foreign experience that was difficult. The instructions were clearly translated into english, and I found the explanation of balancing the arm with the counter weight a bit tricky. I still haven't figured out how to adjust the azimuth.

Anyway, its working...so that's good. I'm just not totally sure if I have everything calibrated correctly.

yeah I remember not having a clue when I set up my first turntable :)

but you figure it out pretty quick. most important things are probably to ensure the arm is at the right height and the right weight (both of which depend on the cartridge).

enjoy your TT.

are you going to buy vinyl exclusively now? what's your plan?

yeah I remember not having a clue when I set up my first turntable :)

but you figure it out pretty quick. most important things are probably to ensure the arm is at the right height and the right weight (both of which depend on the cartridge).

enjoy your TT.

are you going to buy vinyl exclusively now? what's your plan?

I think I have it figured out now...we all have to learn sometime!

I wouldn't say exclusively...I'll still download electronic files, but chances of me buying another CD are slim.

You have a Grado Reference cartridge and you're looking at a $550 turntable? :confused:

whoops, wishful thinking - i meant grado platinum. only about $900 short of the mark!

kiya, you are kidding right? i suppose it's not difficult per se but just thinking about proper cartridge alignment and anti-skate adjustment gives me a headache.

whoops, wishful thinking - i meant grado platinum. only about $900 short of the mark!

kiya, you are kidding right? i suppose it's not difficult per se but just thinking about proper cartridge alignment and anti-skate adjustment gives me a headache.

I still think you should be looking at least at the P3...the platinum cartridge is still a pretty big investment. Is there a general rule on that? Like a maximum amount you'd spend on a cartridge for a certain-priced turntable? Don't take my advice though...what do I know.

Speaking of advice, does anyone have any on a decently-priced pair of bookshelf speakers? I read this article on Mordaunt's reissued Carnival 1's and they sound promising. I'll be using them as my front speakers in my 5.1 system once I can afford to upgrade to a decent pair of towers.

I still think you should be looking at least at the P3...the platinum cartridge is still a pretty big investment. Is there a general rule on that? Like a maximum amount you'd spend on a cartridge for a certain-priced turntable? Don't take my advice though...what do I know.

Speaking of advice, does anyone have any on a decently-priced pair of bookshelf speakers? I read this article on Mordaunt's reissued Carnival 1's and they sound promising. I'll be using them as my front speakers in my 5.1 system once I can afford to upgrade to a decent pair of towers.

yeah normally i would but there is a particular shielding issue with the planar that produces a very noticeable hum with the grados. so unless i know that the p3 specifically doesn't have this problem that's a no go.

i don't see an issue in investing heavily in the cartridge vs the table, for me it's like speakers vs electronics.

paradigm studio 20s are the best bookshelf speakers i've auditioned but at ~800 USD a pair may be a little higher price point than you're looking for.