Hi-Fi Nerds?

gimmegimme

I work in the same manufacturing facility as sonos and some of their test rooms are ridiculous. When they tune the woofers at the factory they have a room that drives them at different frequencies and voltages and the whole room vibrates and shakes. Good stuff. 

Edited by Fycus

what setup?

Sonos 1 in coke white for my kitchen. The speakers are actually loud af and can p much fill the majority of my shack. 

I use Audio Engine A2+ in coke white on my desk. 

COKE WHITE LIFE

obv, a2+ sounds better than songs but they are still p amazing (I think they are kind of like beats – engineered sounds as opposed to delivering monitor-like sounds)

so you just have x1 sonos1 as opposed to x2? how does it sound with just one speaker?

i urge you to come check it out at my shack. j/k.

it's surprisingly powerful. from what i understand, sonos 3 was produced like 3 or 4 years before sono1 came out so newer tech in sonos 1. honeslty, the biggest difference was bass (between 1 and 3). i feel that sonos is actually far louder than audioengine computer speakers or some small desktop monitors. 

i live a really lonely life and work 12+ hours a day. it's cool to come home and immerse yourself in dope music. 

also, you can use the app to queue up music while you are walking towards your place (provided wifi is within the range) and music welcomes you home. 

i don't know man. maybe i'm being overly dramatic but sonos 1 is a great investment and i feel like i've gotten my money's worth in just like 1 week

Edited by herpsky

na, i understand what you're saying. my old boss had 2x sonos1 and kept raving about them, but i just can't imagine listening to music on one speaker - wouldn't it kinda be like mono? i should go to an actual store and suss them since i've been trying to decide on computer (macbook) speakers for a year now. i'd ideally like wireless but can't really find anything decent for under $500 AUS.

edit: sonos might not work for me as i just read you need access to ethernet.

Edited by conqueror

no it's all wireless, man. sonos1's speakers are actually positioned 360 degrees around the unit. it's somewhat directional but you still hear it everywhere. i have mine on the kitchen counter. 

probably the best thing about sonos is the seamless integration of internet radio and streaming services and your local library on your smartphone and computer.

so playlist could look like this

1) some clubby ass mix from soundcloud

2) old school jpop on my mac

3) a song i listen to on the reg on my iPhone 

the soundcloud integration is crazy dope. when someone informs me of a dope song, i can immediately queue it up on the sonos thru the OSX sonos app or the iOS app. 

you can't really test these functions on the on-display sonos at electronic stores. 

another thing i do is play shit on sonos. when i come back to my computer desk, i turn off the sonos from the desktop app and listen to iTunes thru my desktop speakers. dope concept.

sorry is it worth getting the better sonos?  is sono1 good enough?  i already have a sub at home.

i'm content with sono1 but i'm not an "audiophile"

i enjoy good sound but not crazy

• 2 months later...

audioengine A2+

it's pretty underwhelming at first but it took like 3 or 4 months of casual listening to break in.

i had always thought the idea of breaking in speakers was just one of those bs myths hifi nerds always talk about but yeah. 

i'd give that one a shot

• 2 months later...

I have been wanting to get a proper system for a while and got a pretty good Marantz receiver & some really good speakers over the holiday so I was planning on getting a turntable to this week-end. I was pretty set on on Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, but seeing that Technics is re-releasing the SL 1200, I am really tempted to get a used turntable now and wait for the new SL 1200 to be released at the end of the year. Would that make sense?

I am planning to use the turntable for casual use and while I DJ'ed a tiny bit when I was younger and have been telling myself I would get back into for 10+ years, I think the chance of actually doing it are pretty slim so I am mainly leaning toward the SL 1200 for sentimental / aesthetic reasons (third life crisis concept)

• 3 months later...

Thinking about copping the new Onkyo DP-X1.. but price is kinda steep for a portable music player.

Then again, it's the most advanced portable system ever made and would be great for both headphone and car use.

Thoughts?

Here's over 500 pages (pages, not posts!) of conversation about this single device: 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/780642/onkyo-dp-x1-dual-sabre-dacs-balanced-sabre-btl-amp-mqa-dsd-256-android-5

Onkyo's page:

http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=DP-X1&class=Accessory&source=prodClass

Are those little solid state amps from China worth anything or are they complete and total garbage? 

I need a simple amp to drive a 2.0 system (some used scandyna pods) for my TV/AppleTV Airplay and I don't really want to drop 300 bucks on an amp.

I would recommend iPod Video 5.5 gen, best sounding iPod ever (Wolfson DAC). You can also replace HDD with SD card adaptor pretty easily. The only downsides are that he struggles to play 24bit lossless files and you'll need portable AMP if you want to drive some serious headphones, but other than that this is fantastic portable player.

I need Wifi built in because my home amp is hooked up to my home network. Also would like the high-powered balanced headphone out of the Onkyo because my Ultrasone headphones need a lot of juice to get them to sound good.

Edited by kiya

• 3 months later...

I'm in the process of reworking my casual listening stereo set up and not trying to spend a ton. I just picked up a Sony STR-7045 and I need new speakers to really do this nice old solid state amplifier justice. The phono preamp section is such a step up from the old pioneer I was using previously. I need to give it a nice cleaning, it was kept in good shape but there are a few smudges here and there! 

For a speaker replacement, I was considering those pioneer SP-BS22, but I am almost positive Ill be picking up the Elac Debut B5 (ideally the B6, but most places are sold out). People raved about the pioneers for being budget speakers when they came out, and the Elac's (supposedly) blow them out of the water. It's also an Andrew Jones design, and not that much more expensive.

13703195_682676048548877_1345344684_n.jp

Edited by bencap