Hi-Fi Nerds?

gimmegimme

thinking of upgrading my paradigm studio 10s to a floorstanding model. i'm lazy so thinking about the studio 60s, any firsthand experience out there?

Go with a set of KEF speakers, you'll thank me later.

• 1 month later...

I'm looking for a decent computer speaker setup, about $200 or less. Any Recommendations?

I was looking at the Audioengine 2s

The thread is called "Hi-Fi Nerds".

I'm looking for a decent computer speaker setup, about $200 or less. Any Recommendations?

you can spend a little more and go passive. i see speakers from av123 get thrown around a lot in the $200 category. i think you would be happy with most entry level bookshelves from the usual speaker companies combined with an affordable amp like the cambridge 350a.

• 9 months later...

I've heard those are great, and I just went through a similar search, ending up with a pair of Fostex PM0.4n for my computer. I'm happy.

If you look into the Fostex, and are considering them for your desk top, I would strongly recommend a pair of cheap Sanus 16" speaker stands to bring them to ear level (probably a good idea for a lot of speakers if you'll be that close to them).

If this is for gaming though, I think you'd be better off finding a 2.1 system.

• 7 months later...

my headphone amp just died, had it for 6 years and i'm completely out of the loop

luckily kept an older solid state amp that i'm using that now, but the trebs are deafening me. if anyone doesn't mind, what are the best options out there right now? I'm lost… i had a darkvoice 332 and my budget is about £400 for now.

*trying to avoid placebo-fi if i can

Edited by Magsåvningsreserven

my headphone amp just died, had it for 6 years and i'm completely out of the loop

luckily kept an older solid state amp that i'm using that now, but the trebs are deafening me. if anyone doesn't mind, what are the best options out there right now? I'm lost… i had a darkvoice 332 and my budget is about £400 for now.

*trying to avoid placebo-fi if i can

I got these and (honest to God) they're the best headphones i've ever heard:

http://www.ultrasone.com/index.php/en/products/pro-900.html

They're worth every penny.

Edited by kiya

yeah i've heard good things about thsoe, but i'm set for cans for the time being—just looking for a decent amp.

might wait and get a decent dac too though tbh

Portable or home amp?

Edited by kiya

For home,

I was looking at the Schiit range from the US - specifically the Lyr and Bifrost combo:

nTysxSz.jpg

I was going to order last night, but then i saw they have a UK distributor which they would refer me to; they have stupid pricing where they charge £449 for a $449 amp, or £349 for a $349 DAC, which even including taxes is absurd.

Gonna keep looking, otherwise might get the amp by itself if people recommend it highly enough…

*gonna wait a bit and then get a lafigaro 339

**wow, when does this ever happen? 2013 upgraded 339 surfaced on ebay, barely used. saved £200—will have to wait and see if there was a catch…

Edited by Magsåvningsreserven

• 7 months later...

Oh shit yes, that's a great turntable.

• 11 months later...

are audioengine a2+'s okay for small desktop speakers? its either them or swan m10's.

an ex-sufuer i know has a pair. he said he liked those.

----

question: what would be the best setting in the following case

In my living room, I have a desk with a macbook pro connected to some shitty JBL computer speakers. About 6 feet away from it, there's a TV with an apple tv, chromecast, and PS3.

Is the best scenario to buy two separate speaker set-up? Is SONOS soundbar the only option that will let me listen to audio from TV and contents from the computer? It seems like having ONE set of good speakers near the tv is a better choice? I don't game. Music is my #1 priority. 

I used to live in a small room so I had everything connected to ONE set of studio monitors.

Also, I'm not an audiophile so the 600 dollar price tag of a sonos is not all that enticing.

Edited by herpsky

I use a sonos setup, it's fine and audio-nerdism free. You should def get that. My headphone are Audio-Technica-M50x, also perfectly fine.

Edited by Fuuma

an ex-sufuer i know has a pair. he said he liked those.

----

question: what would be the best setting in the following case

In my living room, I have a desk with a macbook pro connected to some shitty JBL computer speakers. About 6 feet away from it, there's a TV with an apple tv, chromecast, and PS3.

Is the best scenario to buy two separate speaker set-up? Is SONOS soundbar the only option that will let me listen to audio from TV and contents from the computer? It seems like having ONE set of good speakers near the tv is a better choice? I don't game. Music is my #1 priority. 

I used to live in a small room so I had everything connected to ONE set of studio monitors.

Also, I'm not an audiophile so the 600 dollar price tag of a sonos is not all that enticing.

Just get a good set of speakers put them by your TV and a receiver/amp that supports bluetooth so you can change source wirelessly between tv and comp. If your amp supports wireless you can swap source between your computer and tv no problem. IIRC there are also adapters you can plug into your receiver that make it wireless, not sure how effective they are. If you have friends over or want to connect a non bluetooth device you can just cable from the aux jack on the receiver. 

Edited by Fycus

Just get a good set of speakers put them by your TV and a receiver/amp that supports bluetooth so you can change source wirelessly between tv and comp. If your amp supports wireless you can swap source between your computer and tv no problem. IIRC there are also adapters you can plug into your receiver that make it wireless, not sure how effective they are. If you have friends over or want to connect a non bluetooth device you can just cable from the aux jack on the receiver. 

That sounds like a feasible option. The only issue is that I can only stream internet radio and itunes to a SONOS. I wish it had bluetooh.

That sounds like a feasible option. The only issue is that I can only stream internet radio and itunes to a SONOS. I wish it had bluetooh.

there's an app called playwhatyouhear or something like that, I use it when I want to play some youtube music on my sonos (super easy to seteup, you chose a port and make it like a radio station, it plays what you're playing on your comp through the speakers) and have people over. It's not good for synchro between image and sound but this isn't something I need to do so I haven't looked into it.

Soundcloud integration is already there in sonos btw. I'm an itunes-local/soundcloud/youtube user so YMMV.

Edited by Fuuma

• 2 months later...

fuckin love this thread...wish i had read this earlier...

sold my system & wince i use my hifi to watch DVD and listen to mp3s... more power to you if you still have vinyl..

so my systems were downgraded to:

yamaha rx-v490

jbl nj-40 speakers