Hi-Fi Nerds?

gimmegimme

My Hi-Fi rig is for sale. Rega Planar 3, Adcom GFP555, Aragon 4004 MK2, and Thiel CS2s for 1300 plus shipping. Hit me up if you are interested in pictures or more details.

Now I am trying to figure out what pair of compact powered studio monitors will best do multipurposing duty for general listening, movies, synths, and studio monitors...any suggestions? Right now, I am thinking about smaller, less expensive genelecs.

Not sure if this is the appropriate thread but I've been attempting to re-download all my music in FLAC and convert to ALAC. There are some albums I can find on FLAC but a lot of them are missing. Any good websites that someone can recommend?

I've also considered going to the public library and checking out some CDs but I don't think they have the newer releases.

i don't know either but you may want to keep in mind the possibility of actually buying the cd you want and ripping it in whatever format you want. just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...

I only buy the really good ones, a great album deserves a few bucks for the musician. On vinyl preferably. I Wanna picking up a Rega P1 and add a glass platter and later a new cartridge, I have the green bias on a busted technics.

er, not sure itunes supports alac/flac? hook yourself up with some exact audio copy and make your life easier

iTunes definitely supports ALAC, but not FLAC. It would be pretty pointless for Apple to come up with a lossless codec and then not have it supported by iTunes, no?

You can CDs directly to ALAC, but EAC is obviously your choice if you want to pursue a FLAC-based library instead (not utilizing iTunes).

^^word to this. CD vs LP? Not even a question.

digital setups can sound great.

what it really comes down to is the amount of money that must be invested for a digital system to be on par or better than an analog.

it's a lot cheaper to have a great sounding analog system than it is to have a great sounding digital system.

but who can really beat the convenience of having thousands of songs easily searchable and accessible at the click of button?

any of yall mafuckas into tube amps? im a cop a mc-275 one of these days

I find tubes, like vinyl, to be relics of the past and no longer up to par with current technologies. Not the popular opinion, but there you have it.

http://www.theaudiocritic.com/back_issues/The_Audio_Critic_26_r.pdf

Interesting article on "the 10 biggest lies in audio" talking about things like that. A bit extreme, but I tend to agree with what he says after doing my research.

To each his own though - I hear there are some hybrid tube/ss amps that get great reviews, but I think the only reason I'd want a tube amp is for the pretty glow and the nostalgia.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Just recently upgraded my two channel setup, currently running:

Pioneer elite SX-A9MK2 Integrated Amplifier:

SX-A9MK2-K_reg.jpg

http://www.pioneerel...udio/SX-A9MK2-K

Pioneer elite PD-D9MK2-K:

PD-D9MK2-K_reg.jpg

http://www.pioneerel...udio/PD-D9MK2-K

Totem Dreamcatcher Bookshelves:

black-ash.png

http://totemacoustic...t/dreamcatcher/

Just built some custom speaker stands and am trying to get the pic up but it may have to be for another day.

Edited by BlakFate

• 1 month later...

like most chinese amp manufacturers, i assume they would be good value for money. audio space gets thrown in with other popular chinese brands like mingda, jungson, and shanling. with chinese amps, generally its the higher end models that are worth looking into. lower end models like the audio space shown are probably not that good.