Neil Barrett F/W 08

Advantage

wow, great fits the pants over all seem to be great, definite raf influence, but to be honest better executed. the styling of this show is fucking great too the contrast of formal wear with sportswear/casual, such as the tux shirt and bow tie with a biker jacket fucking great.

I really hate the execution of the fingerless gloves in most of these looks (I think it's the lack of knuckles that makes me hate it, and probably for the fact that it reminds me of Casey jones and I like my runway and my Ninja Turtles to remain seperate), but overall really strong collection.

wow, great fits the pants over all seem to be great, definite raf influence, but to be honest better executed. the styling of this show is fucking great too the contrast of formal wear with sportswear/casual, such as the tux shirt and bow tie with a biker jacket fucking great.

Exacto.

Barrett is really good at mixing formal wear with something a bit rough. e.g. formal + biker jacket. It's so fucking sharp it kills.

He's always got it right - looking at all his collections.

But how many times has Barrett done the tux + parka thing? I mean, I understand what sort of aesthetic he's trying to achieve, but I think he's already achieved it. However, I also grant that he does it so well that it's hard to fault him. And thank god for someone who didn't decide to supersize every single one of their silhouettes. I'm looking at you two, Dolce, Gabbana.

highlights for me: overstated blends of sportswear and formalwear, leather jackets, outerwear in general

barrett always does well when importing punk aesthetics into realms of fashion punk has otherwise left alone... as well as reformulating punk staples like the leather jacket, the most spectacular example being the blue jacket in post 2, picture 5. the hue, materials, placement and proportions of pockets perfectly assembled

lowlights: exposed zip flies, footwear, use of waistcoats

exposed flies are a pet peeve of mine ive had since this time i saw someone wearing true religion jeans with an exposed fly

anyway, with the exception of the grey laceups, the footwear seems a little uninspired. barrett boots in the past have been magnificent examples of subtle styling and versatility. maybe if i could see the boots from different angles or close up i could make a better judgement, but from what i see they look bulky and constructed piecemeal, the flashy hardware emphasizing a boring, euclidian ankle shape

and the waistcoats, the imbalance they create when layered over or sewn into other formalwear pieces, while clever (combining formalwear pieces traditionally associated with orderliness to create a disruption) ends up drawing too much attention to itself, spoiling a nicely tailored knit sweater or jacket

wow i ended up writing a lot

theres my 0.02