Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

@thecolosseum

I like the idea!

Though you should use a creaser or groover to make grooves to protect the stitching. From the pictures it also looks like you did not pull the stitches tight enough, which may cause problems when the thread moves and rub against the leather. But pretty cool incorporation.

And really water for burnishing? I've been just piling on more oil or conditioner and not being terribly happy with the results.

Hmm actually I have never heard of using conditioner on edges. If anything its the wax (if present) in the conditioner that does the job. I don't think the oil helps in any way.

I use beeswax and some gum too, but they're only used at the end to finish up and seal the burnish. Water, sandpaper and a rag gets me the smooth foundation. IMO what you put on the edge is not that important. I use water because its widely available in abundance.

Guest nooblet333

Hey guy's looking to start leather crafting, specifically in making wallet(s) related item's. Here's list I'm going to buy soon, what else items would I need to start my hobby in leather crafting? Thanks!

Veg-Tan Practice Leather 6-9oz

Strap Cutter

Meyers Lock-Stitch Hand Sewing Awl

1/4” x 12” x 12” Poundo Cutting Board

Overstitch Spacing Kit

Keen Edge Beveling Tool

Hey guy's looking to start leather crafting, specifically in making wallet(s) related item's. Here's list I'm going to buy soon, what else items would I need to start my hobby in leather crafting? Thanks!

Strap Cutter

1/4†x 12†x 12†Poundo Cutting Board

Overstitch Spacing Kit

Keen Edge Beveling Tool

Sorry dude, but more than half the stuff you are buying won't help much with making a wallet...

Go get this Deluxe Hand Stitching Kit. The tools aren't the best but it'll do for a start. When you are sure you're gonna take this hobby further, then start upgrading your tools.

The book is a god sent.

Just use an X-acto or an NT Cutter penknife to cut the leather and a decent self-healing cutting mat.

3 oz and 5 oz leather. The thinner ones are for the guts and the thicker ones are for the shell.

Guest nooblet333

What kind of leather should I use for practice? on tandy's site? or should I just go with the practice leather on some other site I found (zackwhite).

Zack White and other similar cheap places will suffice, but if you have some place local - go there as it takes some effort to pick the best hides... Are you making wallets or accessories for wallets like reigns, lanyards and such or both? I wasn't sure from reading your post.

You won't be needing the strap cutter yet. It won't have much use for wallets. You can always improvise if you need any strap/lace anyway. Sometimes for making very narrow and thin lace which can be tricky on the strap cutter I just skip it and go for my knife.

The tandy kit looks decent, though I can't seem to figure out how the price adds up. I get the feeling that if you buy everything individually it won't add up to 90 bucks.

If you don't want to spend that much you can buy the individual tools less the scratch awl (you can improvise with many things, or find a similar tool from any fabric shop which is much cheaper) and lacing fid (if you're not going to do lacing), and learn stitching from the net. There's a lot of resources out there on the net if you're willing to dig them out.

Makin' my own Vinegaroon these days. Had a lot of try to found the right formula which gives real black and not dark grey (photos sucks, sorry really need a serious camera).

img1060crzuu.jpg

The use is almost foolproof, simply dip the leather into vingaroon.

img1062j.jpg

Vinegaroon is not a dye, but a chemical reactive which turns leather tannin to a super strong, deep, beautiful solid black with shades of dark blue. To give you an idea, it's looks like Fiebing USMC black but deeper or IH Type III overdyed

img1068q.jpg

img1064wy.jpg

Other advantage is that if you slice or scratch the leather, it remains black under the surface as the vinegaroon dye the leather to the core.

After neutralizing acidity with baking soda, rinsing and oiling, the color is even deeper and nicer.

img1090n.jpg

As i'm pretty proud of my recipe, i'm considering selling a few bottles. But before that, i'd like to know if some of you guys would be interested and eventually produce a few sample flacon. Let me know.

Sorry dude, but more than half the stuff you are buying won't help much with making a wallet...

Go get this Deluxe Hand Stitching Kit. The tools aren't the best but it'll do for a start. When you are sure you're gonna take this hobby further, then start upgrading your tools.

The book is a god sent.

Just use an X-acto or an NT Cutter penknife to cut the leather and a decent self-healing cutting mat.

3 oz and 5 oz leather. The thinner ones are for the guts and the thicker ones are for the shell.

Ebay seller goodsjapan also has a nice starter kit with pretty decent tools. Stolhman book is a must to have, and can be found by seaching round the internet...

thank ! I understand what your concern. Fact is that vinegaroon is not rust. Basically, it's ferrous acetate (II) with has nothing to do with rust which is iron(III) oxide-hydroxide.

Confusion cames from the fact that people often makes vinegaroon with already rusted iron scrap to speed up the brewing process. I'm patient and i do not use rusted iron.

The smell is not good but not worst and way safer than leather cement or other chemical stuff. And it goes away when ventilated a couple of hours.

Makin' my own Vinegaroon these days. Had a lot of try to found the right formula which gives real black and not dark grey (photos sucks, sorry really need a serious camera).

As i'm pretty proud of my recipe, i'm considering selling a few bottles. But before that, i'd like to know if some of you guys would be interested and eventually produce a few sample flacon. Let me know.

You should show that to the guy from Tender Co. He is active here under the moniker Rodeo Bill.

He likes his dying and stuff like that.

Interesting results, though not my thing. Really.

Good leathers, good threads and good hardware is half the work.

And I just came across a big lot of very good snaps from a lesser known maker (due to the company folding in the 70's, I believe)

Would any of you be interested in buying some snaps?

I can't disclose much more, but I'm thinking off buying all of the snaps, that are available, and sharing some of them with you guys - without making much profit of course. But I would be hesitant to pick up the lot, if I didn't know, that there would be some interest.

I'm always up for some quality snaps. Are they solid brass? Do you know what the sizing is? I mostly use line 20 and 24.

Strap Cutter

1/4†x 12†x 12†Poundo Cutting Board

Overstitch Spacing Kit

Keen Edge Beveling Tool

You probably don't want 9 oz leather either... Zack white has single shoulders for pretty reasonable, get a 5-6 oz for the outside, and 3-4 oz for the insides. Otherwise you will end up with a wallet that is like an inch + thick. Good luck!

img1060crzuu.jpg

The use is almost foolproof, simply dip the leather into vingaroon.

img1062j.jpg

Vinegaroon is not a dye, but a chemical reactive which turns leather tannin to a super strong, deep, beautiful solid black with shades of dark blue. To give you an idea, it's looks like Fiebing USMC black but deeper or IH Type III overdyed

img1068q.jpg

img1064wy.jpg

Other advantage is that if you slice or scratch the leather, it remains black under the surface as the vinegaroon dye the leather to the core.

After neutralizing acidity with baking soda, rinsing and oiling, the color is even deeper and nicer.

img1090n.jpg

Very cool! Been thinking of making some for a while, just haven't had the time. Looks great, sometimes I see pictures that don't look so deep black, more greyish, which is not preferable. Gonna have to take a crack at it sometime down the road.

I'm always up for some quality snaps. Are they solid brass? Do you know what the sizing is? I mostly use line 20 and 24.
If they're brass and don't require bizarre setting tools, I'm interested too.
I'd be up for some snaps too. Can you disclose any info about them?

Sorry no info just yet, I have to make a good deal with the seller.

I use line 20 mostly - but these are done with a different number system, which I don't know. They are a size 7, I think. Basically the same size, from what I can gather from the seller.

If this materializes, then I will let you guys know.

And they are both brass, nickel, copper, gunmetal and some colours as well. Pretty stocked about this, I hope they are all as good as the first ones I received, which I will post pictures of, as soon as I get some time during the day.

And no, they require a pretty basic setting tool