Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

Amazing job on the last pages ! congrats

Rainy day, got bored so making my own wax blocks.

Bain-marie beeswax melting

img1040b.jpg

Pouring into ice block mold

img1041vz.jpg

I make 2 different flavor:

Pure beeswax block for waxing thread and awl

50% beeswax, 50% paraffine and a spoon of neatsfoot oil for burnishing edges.

img1044zr.jpg

I've been making conchos for a while now, just get a doming block set and you're good to go. Solder chicago screws on the back (JB weld works just as well if you don't know how to solder). Here's what I'm in the process of making this week- copper mining coin, some irish coins, and a 1916 barber quarter.

6289909970_92dfe5f807_z.jpg

It's pretty commonly known, that half/half of beeswax and paraffin makes the best burnishing agent. I heard it from and old saddler as well - he talked of a similar mix for waxing your old thread.

The neatsfoot I have never heard of before though.

Paraffine gives the edge a super sharp aspect but is too hard to be rubbed directly against the edge. Beeswax makes it softer.

I just add a teaspoon of neatfoot oil (or mink oil) to give the edge a super smooth, shiny aspect, just like neat-lac but without chemical stuff.

Then i use a rubber wheel wrapped with heavy cotton duck, saturated with the wax mix. Basically, i'm following the bob park's guide to edging.

Hollow: will mail you a sample for free if you want, just pay for the shipping.

Corter: Awsome job !

Hey,

Finally made something worth posting. Made for my little sisters 21st birthday, took me 40 odd hours, turned out fairly well and I learnt a ton from it. Probably won’t make anything similar again though, my fingers were burning for quite a few days afterwards.

bag001.jpg

bag002.jpg

bag003.jpg

bag004.jpg

bag005.jpg

Also with this talk of thread wax, have you seen this post by carreducker -> http://carreducker.blogspot.com/2011/09/thread-wax.html

Anyways, great work as usual guys, I rather enjoy meandering through this thread on a Saturday morning.

Ciao

Thanks,

To be honest I just use straight beeswax on my thread and I’ve yet to really have any problems but after reading the carreducker post I am thinking of having a bash at the recipe ‘cause frankly they seem to know what they’re talking about. More than I do at least, ha.

ciao

Rb.

I've been using a pretty good recipe on my stuff. Beeswax with a resin melted in it. It makes the linen just the right amount of sticky... I think it holds and helps hold everything together.

Okay... early preview of something I've been working on as of late...

IMG_1469resizedbelt.jpg

Okay.. They're ready now. Horsehide Belts with vintage 1920's belt rivets and one of my special "Anchor" rivets...

Horse is so much different than cow when you work with it.

^Horse is lovely to work with in my opinion. More so than cow.

Got a bunch of new horse hide stuff off the bench. Clearing off some residual hard rolled horse leather.

Double Stitching Card Case

doublestitchhorsecardcase2b.jpg

doublestitchhorsecardcase.jpg

doublestitchhorsehardcaseedge2.jpg

Double Wrap Buckle Bracelets

horsehidedoublenickelbracelet.jpg

Horsehidedoublebraceletgold.jpg

Antique Brass Stud

horsehidestudbracelet.jpg

And a refinement of the necklace proto

bolonecklacebonebeads.jpg

bolonecklacebonebeadsdetail.jpg

Great stuff, lazybum! Top notch work!

Dude, what is your burnishing secret?

No secret really. Mainly water, an old rag, some sandpaper and many hours of work. Good music too to keep you going. The more you do it, and the longer you work at it, the better it gets.

lazybum, your nick is so contrary to the post you just made. haha.

beautiful product complimented with beautiful photography. very clean.

Haha well that nick was my first email address and it has stuck with me as almost all my usernames so far. Finding it hard to overcome the inertia to change.

I got fed up with ironing the cloth that I had always been using as a backdrop and decided to use white paper instead which crease less easily. Results were surprisingly good. Wish I had converted earlier. Makes it easier to adjust white balance too, which is gold when you are stuck with a lousy digital camera.

I start with water, with a couple of passes, then move to a beeswax, then finish with a mix of wax and oils I made.

As long as you have a good beginning that's flush, it should work out nicely.

Collaboration I'm doing with Boylston Trading Company, which is a new shop out of Boston. There are a few more pieces that aren't done yet, but we designed a field notes sleeve that I'm really proud of. Machine sewn, with sueded leather shell and tanned/oiled interior and a heat brand, and natural unburnished edges. There's also a card slot on the other side, hidden by the notebook in the picture.

tumblr_lsnwmj3yYj1r1iyrp

Thanks! I always have the collaborating company purchase anything with their name on it to keep business transactions simple. The company that makes them is super solid and does great work- depending on size, they're usually between $175 and $400, 2-3 week turn around. That brand is about 3/8" x 2.5".

I didn't shoot that photo, I'm not sure which one of the BTC staff took it, possibly billy (also his tag here) or their photo intern, who's a real solid dude studying at Emerson. only thing I know was that it was taken in either the public garden or the commons, shot digi with some sort of Cannon.

And really water for burnishing? I've been just piling on more oil or conditioner and not being terribly happy with the results.

water for burnished is to make the leather mould easily at the first step of the process.

nice looking piece, lazybum!