Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

Thanks, man. Yeah, they call it Huntsman Chromexcel, which is very similar to normal Chromexcel, but the flesh side is heavily waxed. It's intended to be used as a waxed suede, but I used it flesh side in on that case, and hit the grain side with some wax. Maybe I should try it flesh side out? :)

7yZ8e.jpg

Indeed, my mistake.... the black is called outrigger. And the brown is huntsman. Been wanting to make some stuff with it. But been to busy working with bridle....but a roughout wallet is on my list of items to make.

qGrOY.jpg

pretty simple mail style bag. washed, hand dyed veg tan.

Detail on grain:

0puwN.jpg

going to be making some doctors bags with hand bent metal frame work once I get the framing, I'm pretty excited to try it out.

made a slight improvement on my design. Lighter weight leather for the card holders and left the denim open so you have two areas for bills or other stuff...

DSC00358.jpg

DSC00362.jpg

DSC00354.jpg

can someone teach me what's the rule of thumb to make a belt?

I am pretty confuse about the sizing, length of the strap, and where to put the hole precisely...

Does any of you guys have tips on burnishing.?

I seem to be having some problems. Been trying to get a.... "Angelos Grade" finishing, but it seems that the glue I'm using prevents the layer from joining together...

i'm also very keen on the tips on burnishing, it appears to me that to achieve "angelos grade" finishing, they applied something the edges before rubbing, i've also heard of using a lighter to burn the edges...

Yea, I think i got it pretty much down...

Like... I know to slick it with gum trag and a nice clean cloth that doesn't have fibres flying off. I know to seal it with wax.

But the problem i have it the step before all those... Cause my edges tend not to be fused together because of the glue.

I use rubber cement. And i actually use a flat piece of plastic to make sure i apply only a thin layer. And i use a roller to squeeze the excess out and get a nice tight bond.

Am i doing anything wrong.? Should i use another kind of glue..?

I use just water and some beeswax as a final coat. No contact cement or glue. I find my stitches tight enough and close enough to the edge to hold down the leather. Perhaps thinner leather has issues though and would need cement...

DSC00363.jpg

regardless of leather thickness, glue has nothing to do with finished edges unless you're actually using it to hold a wallet together (no stitching at all, like on some watch bands). sounds like you need to work on getting your edges cut super sharp and even, and stitch closer to the edge of your work.

Using some scrap leather and inspiration from folks like Corter, Hollows and OGL, I thought I'd craft a wallet this weekend. This is my very first time crafting one and I now have a new found respect for the those who do this on the side/full time. My fingers hurt!!

This'll be my "daily driver" until my fingers heal and I decide to put another one together.

1.JPG

5.JPG

9.JPG

8.JPG

10.JPG

I use a juki lu-563. Most walking foot industrial machines handle leather with ease. I would recommend joining leatherworker.net, they have a whole forum devoted to sewing machines. Most people here don't use machines...

I use a juki lu-563. Most walking foot industrial machines handle leather with ease. I would recommend joining leatherworker.net, they have a whole forum devoted to sewing machines. Most people here don't use machines...

thanks. will check it out.