Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

Hollows, your stitching is becoming insane!!!! You are to the point of japanese high end quality!

Corter, cool rivet colection! I bet you are a ebay fiend! And nice bag. Hopefully I don't have to copy it and my job ;)

Clegg, where are you getting the red thread? I have bought like 7 different brands and they all suck!.

I wish I had somthing to post, but have been too busy making other peoples shit, been working 65 hour weeks. It makes it hard to work on my own stuff. All I have time to do is sketch ideas before I fall asleep. I miss hand stitching.

Hollows, your stitching is becoming insane!!!! You are to the point of japanese high end quality!

Corter, cool rivet colection! I bet you are a ebay fiend! And nice bag. Hopefully I don't have to copy it and my job ;)

Clegg, where are you getting the red thread? I have bought like 7 different brands and they all suck!.

I wish I had somthing to post, but have been too busy making other peoples shit, been working 65 hour weeks. It makes it hard to work on my own stuff. All I have time to do is sketch ideas before I fall asleep. I miss hand stitching.

here's how I'm doing all the buttons. I use 14oz belt scrap as a carrier, punch the holes (each strap has 20, I do 100 at a time). The belt thickness keeps the buttons off the leather so I can get the sides. Then I steel wool them down so the paint has something to stick to, spray them 2 coats, and bake them for 10 minutes at 400 degrees to set the paint. It'll chips and wear, but that's the point- every one will look worn and weathered rather quickly, so that people not so used to the whole natural leather thing will be excited to watch them change.

5531989177_96f9ee1a10_z.jpg

thanks so much guys. On top of all this I lost my battery charger for my real camera, so tomorrow I'm gonna pick one up. I'll keep updating with phone pictures till then- I've made 500 bracelets in the last day, hands are starting to bruise and blister!

Great initiative on the help for Japan, Eric.

I can understand that it is not an easy feat to complete that many bracelets, salute!

I believe everyone has either donated or contributed in one way or another.

We sincerely hope Japan will get back soon enough.

After these years of reading and get influence by forums and blogs, I learn that different people has got different lifestyle and taste in terms of fashion.

So I have started making leathercrafts base of 4 main categories. It benefits me a lot because every time I start making something I have a theme in mind for each item made.

Here are some examples,

GENTLEMEN STYLE

As the name suggests, leathercrafts used by ‘gentlemen’, or rather, for men who are required to dress formally daily and for more dressy occasions. Smooth and slick leathercrafts with nothing elaborating, just classic designs.

P3122887-Copy.jpg

P3122874-Copy.jpg

NATIVE TRAVELLER STYLE

Most commonly known style in the world of denimheads. American vintage coin conchos, free-flowing tassles, hornpipe and colours beads are some trademark of this iconic style.

IMG_7885.jpg

IMG_7879.jpg

WORKWEAR STYLE

Usually, simple and clean look, functionality is the key in this category. Because of their ease to use, it is almost guaranteed that they will be ‘used’ for a long time and hence, promising awesome aging looks.

IMG_7914.jpg

P3122971-Copy.jpg

CONTEMPORARY STYLE

A mixture of everything, belongs to nowhere, out-of-the-box design are what you can find here. It is probably one of most difficult in terms of designing, as the leathercrafts are often not made with conventional crafting techniques.

IMG_7964.jpg

IMG_7962.jpg

Here's where I'm at today- $14,000 raised for Japan in about 3 1/2 days, almost 1000 bracelets ordered (about $15 per bracelet will end up going to the Red Cross in Japan). My two roomates- Sarah, stamping return addresses, and Tara, online addressing packages- are pitching in as much as they can so I can make all of the bracelets.

5535933789_0cdf7cec2b_z.jpg

and my job tonight- packing 500 envelopes (each box has 100 addressed envelopes. Miss Corter and I did 300 last night, Tara's done 150 and finishing the last 50 right now).

5536511640_6f00430e3f_z.jpg

Hey guys, been meaning to have a nice gander through this thread for what feels like a few days but turns out is a few weeks, the joys of work.

Corter, it’s really impressive what your doing, huge kudos.

As always it’s been really good a flick through your guys work. I’ll try get round to posting pictures of the stuff I’m making at the moment sometime soon-ish.

also.. maybe it might help someone, I’ve started to use lapping film to sharpen my tools and simply I don’t think I will be going back to my waterstones any time soon. Great stuff, can’t recommend it enough.

5537712160_50e0243881_z.jpg

I finally got my maker's mark stamp and some business cards printed up.

The stamp is incredibly beefy and crisply cut, it probably weighs 4 or 5 pounds.

The cards were letterpressed by a local print shop with some pretty serious e-fame (www.beastpieces.com).

Both are really, really nice. Couldn't be happier.

Stamp looks badass hollows. I can only dream about one for now.

What ive been up to for the past couple of weeks

Trying my hands on homemade traditional dyes

pouch.jpg

pouchback.jpg

pouchopen.jpg

Simple belt clip/key holder

minimalistbeltclip.jpg

minimalistbeltclip2.jpg

Been trying to come up with something a little more original...

Prototype design, copper riveted bracelet. Inspired by bike chains.

bikechainbracelet.jpg

bikechainbraceletfit1.jpg

bikechainbraceletfit2.jpg

What do you guys think? (esp of the bracelet design)