Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

Nice wallets theblackgoat, were they stitched on that machine you posted yesterday? they look handstitched and I don’t see any clear presser foot marks…

Bizarre choice of colour for a machine though, too close to the colour of rust for my sensibilities. Do you know if it was a factory finish?

Nice wallets theblackgoat, were they stitched on that machine you posted yesterday? they look handstitched and I don’t see any clear presser foot marks…

Bizarre choice of colour for a machine though, too close to the colour of rust for my sensibilities. Do you know if it was a factory finish?

no your right they are hand done, i never use the machine, i like hand stitching too much :)

I bought the machine direct from the manufacturer

here is there website

http://www.leatherstitchers.com/

the machine i have is not on their website, it just came out about 6 months ago. but you can email them for a brochure about it.

hey R.B.! I love your website and your stuff!!! on the last wallet you posted,

did you use a fabric cutting wheel on the folded edges to achieve that look? i love that little touch. you stuff is so clean it make me jealous. ;)

hey, thanks man

I thought it was handstitched but all this talk of machines got me double guessing myself :), great work though mate! They found themselves a good home?

I think the machine looks a beast and I imagine a god send for long lengths of strapping, still shocked it has the capability to do ¾†…fuck. Im also really impressed a company has the bollocks to make a modern machines handcranked too; I like that. I just think it would look much better in literally any other colour. I don’t know about you guys but I go to some fair lengths not to have a colour like that appear on my tools. To finish it that colour in my eyes is just bizarre (as I reread that its clear that its like im reading a book by its cover, but still). Anyways like you I’m still enchanted by the old awl and needles plus there’s many many tools and machines I want before a sewing machine. Best of luck selling it though if you do indeed decide to sell.

Regarding the edges I had shitty hole punch lying around that I took a file to, I then cut the edge one semi circle at a time. Frankly though the cutting edge on the tool is already starting to crumble; shit steel. I have seen in a few old tool books that they use to make irons with a crinkle edge for cutting out long lengths of edge decoration but sadly these days we aren’t as bless with the range of tools available as they were a 150 years ago. Crazy really.

Anyways, thanks for the link, real interesting machines. ciao

Corter, that womans wallet is beautiful. If my fiancee wasn't so hung up on her shitty coach stuff I would cop her one.

Got a question for any of the crafters in here. Corter, nicholas, obbi, etc. What is the typical weight of a heavy wallet?

For the past 6 months I have been always way too concious of F'ing up my FH at work (construction). I think I'm going to try and make a very simple wallet just for work. Just a bifold with a few card slots. I need to know what a good weight would be to make it nice and thick so it can take the punishment of construction.

Also, if anyone wants to sell me a 1'x1'ish sheet of such said veg tan that would be great. I really don't want to spend 150+ on a quality hide. I just don't craft that much.

Thanks in advance for any input.

yea, but you don't want to go 15oz for a wallet- a 6-7oz shell would be perfect, do a 4-5oz interior. it'll be thick, but really tough.

here's another machine sewn wallet, all oiled up (drying in the picture, hence splotches) and ready for one of my friends to use and test the stitching. I have to admit, it's really fun being able to make wallets this fast, and doing a more slim, "mainstream" wallet is interesting in it's own right too. still much more of a hand stitched fan though.

5336660075_07d11ecdd9_z.jpg

*edit, for those who asked- here it is natural before oil

5337274544_d1404c2d49_z.jpg

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

I have to go thicker then what most consider thick. Like Kyles. I would destroy that thing. I have had quiet a few "thick" (by most peoples standards) leather wallets in my short 6 year construction career and the longest one has lasted is a year.

concrete, rebar, heavy equipment, all manage to do a number on my wallets. plus getting in and out of a bobcat or front loader 50+ times a day beat it up. I think Ill try to make one in the middle of what everyone suggested. Say around 8-10 outer, 5-7 inner and see how she goes.

Thanks again for everyone's insight. I appreciate it.

Looks like the big tejas rolls you get at tandy? I might be wrong... I'll like that thread it just needs a bit of prep before I use it....it is really empregnanted with too much wax. I strip it before I stitch.

Hey guys, I have a quick question, and would love a opinion from everyone.

I just got a logo stamp made. Do you think it would be better to put my stamp on the inside of the wallet? Or on the backside? It look so nice when printed on my 4-5oz or 5-6 oz horsehide and cowhide exteriors. But scared it will be kinda tasteless when on the outside.

Zissou - really like that cardholder, what kind of thread do you use ? looks almost as thick as tendons

Thanks, beats. It's heavy waxed linen thread from Silver Creek Leather Co. I have a bit of a fetish for heavy stitching, plus it's pretty much indestructible.

Love the logo blackgoat.

H.P. Lovecraft meets Aston Martin.

...or something. It's good, anyway. I've been working on a bunch of design stuff lately, too. It's hard not to agonize over these things, I'm definitely better with needle and thread than photoshop and illustrator.

Southfive, saddle stitch.

Hey,

Happy new year everyone, been following the thread quite closely since my last post and the work some of you guys have posted has been as inspiring as ever (+ making me feel a little lazy).

Anyway I got quite embarrassed over the Christmas holidays meeting people and not having anything I’ve made on me to show so I decided make myself a pared down bifold out of some soft 1mm calf that I had around and a strip of goat. Its not fully finished as I haven’t summoned up the bollocks to burnish the edges yet but I’ve been carrying it around for the last few days and it suits my needs and taste fairly well. The handstitching is at 9spi this time using linen thread and whilst I’ve got no real interest of getting into the wallet game it’s been an interesting project.

wallet1.jpg

wallet2.jpg

wallet3.jpg

Keep up the good work, ciao

great design! love the cards inside!

Poly800rock, thanks

Blackgoat, nice logo/branding and good name, blackarce, I like that. As for placing the branding, for me it just comes down to sticking it where it fits best visually as a graphical element. I think if you feel it’s possibly tasteless on the outside don’t do it ‘cause frankly in my eyes for the sake of branding it’s not worth it. I get your conundrum though, I find stamping/branding does take better to the thicker denser leather rather than the thin gauge stuff used on the inside your fellas wallets too.

Corter, nice & interesting work as always. Great photos as always, I do think the colour of the light/feel of the photos really suits your stuff.

Been following for some time now, doing the leather thing for a few years. Figured it was about time to put something up. This is a belt I knocked out this morning from 14oz Hermann Oak. I sunned and oiled it, no dye. Tell me what you think.

tumblr_lesp3qigwG1qzn1lco1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0RYTHV9YYQ4W5Q3HQMG2&Expires=1294754380&Signature=eSyaBTp%2FN%2FS9m5uZf3djcfljtrE%3D

You made it this morning? My god it looks like you've been wearing it for years!