Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

nice work scasi !

I really love the design of the goliath v2 wallet .

Thats a new design of card holder i am working on ,this one is just a prototype and need a little more work .

Suggestions are welcome ,what should i keep or add /change .

Thank you!DSCN1760.jpgDSCN1761.jpg[/img]

Gonna ask for a little special request from anyone who's up for it, willing to pay.

Anybody able to cut me out something similar to the W+H varsity below concerning the leather pocket trim. Specifically all I would need are 4 triangles to stitch on to the edges (will give measurements for each triangle). Any black leather would do but NZ would be best.

WHMeltonWoolAwardJacket3

Whoever is up for this just pm me and we'll discuss from there. I didnt know where else to request a leather piece of work besides here, I'm sure this is simple enough

That looks cozy warm, klue.

Speaking of fur, I just had an offer from a local free range sheep farm for all of the raw hides I could want. I think they just throw them away at this point whenever their lambs are slaughtered. I could have picked up 11 today, but I'm not quite ready! So, when it warms up, I just might be tanning hides out in my garage...

anyone know where to get brass button studs?

Your local Tandy leather shop. Or Ebay.

That looks cozy warm, klue.

Speaking of fur, I just had an offer from a local free range sheep farm for all of the raw hides I could want. I think they just throw them away at this point whenever their lambs are slaughtered. I could have picked up 11 today, but I'm not quite ready! So, when it warms up, I just might be tanning hides out in my garage...

Your local Tandy leather shop. Or Ebay.

Are Tandys actually brass? I have a bunch from tandy and they dont tarnish like brass and the description on Tandy dosnt say they are brass. I just assumed they were some kind of other metal. I will check out ebay though.

BTW, these are the ones I have from tandy. http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/search/searchresults/11310-01.aspx?feature=Product_2&kw=button+stud

Thanks Z.

I've been reading through this whole thread over the last couple days/week, and I'd like to start doing a little leather work. Is this something you could do in a very small living space? What would you guys recommend to start with? Are the Tandy kits adequate? For tooling what are the pillar tools that everyone needs? If you were going to start over again what do you wish you knew when you started?

Most of this has been covered, but I just want more opinions if possible :) Thanks.

Are Tandys actually brass? I have a bunch from tandy and they dont tarnish like brass and the description on Tandy dosnt say they are brass. I just assumed they were some kind of other metal. I will check out ebay though.

I use the Sam Browne version and I believe it says 'solid brass' on the back of the package. You'd need to buy the little anvil for a few bucks.

hey guys! killer stuff all around, I am yet another stalker of this thread, that has decieded to join in on the fun.

been working on leather for sometime now. I mostly make stuff for friends and family. here are a couple wallets i made for my friends for Xmas. they are both redmoon lovers. so i came to the rescue.

the natural one is stitched with natural linen thread and is oil tanned with a bagkote finish. with a real early 1900s indian head penny concho

5264910736_63d1c3d726_z.jpg

DSC_0003 by info.blackacre, on Flickr

5264923104_7540731b1f_z.jpg

DSC_0013 by info.blackacre, on Flickr

5264910698_8471e4b0b6_z.jpg

DSC_0008.NEF by info.blackacre, on Flickr

5264910578_7ec53f480c_z.jpg

DSC_0016.NEF by info.blackacre, on Flickr

I use the Sam Browne version and I believe it says 'solid brass' on the back of the package. You'd need to buy the little anvil for a few bucks.

Believe it or not, they're actually brass plate, over nickel plate, over solid brass.

I have no idea how this came to be, but something in the macroeconomics of it must make it cheaper for the factory that makes them.

I used them on my belt pouch and leatherman case for my own use, and on both the brass layer chipped away revealing silver, which then chipped away revealing true brass.

Go figure. I'm a patination nut though so I enjoy the layers of wear. Reminds me of the buttons on Denim Junkie jeans:

hrspec_35.jpg

hrspec_10.jpg

Also, great work BlackGoat, looks good!

Believe it or not, they're actually brass plate, over nickel plate, over solid brass.

I have no idea how this came to be, but something in the macroeconomics of it must make it cheaper for the factory that makes them.

I used them on my belt pouch and leatherman case for my own use, and on both the brass layer chipped away revealing silver, which then chipped away revealing true brass.

Go figure. I'm a patination nut though so I enjoy the layers of wear. Reminds me of the buttons on Denim Junkie jeans:

hrspec_35.jpg

hrspec_10.jpg

Also, great work BlackGoat, looks good!

thanks hollows, means a lot coming from you. been a following you for awhile.

as far as tandy goes, i try to be careful what i buy from them.

typically if it weighs heavy for its size, its brass underneath its plating at tandy. you could you some steel wool to get to the brass underneath???

I Really like this place http://savmorleather.com/.....I go there almost every weekend to buy stuff. there website is not that great, but there customer service is awesome. and the have some GREAT ball and post (sam brown snaps) in multiple finishes. also, if you are in the market for BLACK coated hardware they have almost everything!

Thanks for the heads up, blackgoat. I'm always on the lookout for more hardware. The wallets look great- nice job!

Hollows- I had a strange feeling that they were brass plate, just based on the lighter brass color. I usually don't buy much hardware from Tandy because most of it is cheap and flimsy. I only buy rivets, screws, and snaps/studs from them.

I agree Z. Tandy sucks for most things I have bought. Rivets are the only thing worth getting that I have purchased. I actually just took a page from klue's book on that though. 5lb box of copper roofing nails for 20 bucks. Then large quantities of burrs off line. I have repaired lots of work close this way and its holding up better then traditional rivets, they are thicker and literally a quarter of the price.

Hi, I'm trying to start getting into leather crafting and I was wondering what materials/books I should purchase if I wanted to make bracelets? I want to move up my way to making bracelets with the metal clasp (similar to corter ones), would I be able to make to make those in the beginning?

433835452_o.jpg

Hi, I recommend Saddle leather if you make a bracelet. :)

( They are all hand made by myself )

Hi, I'm trying to start getting into leather crafting and I was wondering what materials/books I should purchase if I wanted to make bracelets? I want to move up my way to making bracelets with the metal clasp (similar to corter ones), would I be able to make to make those in the beginning?

Hollows, that mid wallet is cool!! Would love to see the interior. does it hold a notepad?

here are a few new ones i made over the past week. the are about 6.25 inches high, and stitched with natural linen thread . I have never made anything that was two tone before, I was also experimenting with a new brown dye i got from the Weaver catalog.

sorry if this is too many pics, I was just stoaked on how they turned out. :)

5267666425_fb28f5de99.jpg[

5267666409_1f9e43b78a.jpg

5268275536_eede450399.jpg

5268275594_c28d9a327e.jpg

5267666361_c0326ea31f.jpg

5267666453_db78dbbec3.jpg

I need help on choosing leathers

I've been trying my hand at small amounts of leather craft, ie reigns, and belts. However i want to attempt at making wallets, and small bags, cases. I have most of the tools to do it as well.

What leather should i buy for doing this? Do i buy an entire tooling side and then cut it down into the pieces i need?

could someone link me to which weight, and size of leather i would need for making wallets on tandy's website?

thanks in advance, sorry to clutter up this thread with questions. everything the past couple pages has been killer!

EDIT: all claimed.

I have a bunch of belt pieces if anyone is interested in them. Some are around 3ft long, but there are several that are around 5ft long but they have part of a brand on them. They are all around 1.5" wide. I have a couple belts made from it, and it's good, but not the top quality. So, if you want to learn how to make a belt without spending a lot of money on leather, this stuff would be good. I've long since moved to nicer leather and won't be using this stuff for anything. All I'd want is about ten bucks for shipping. Send a PM if you'd like it all.

I need help on choosing leathers

I've been trying my hand at small amounts of leather craft, ie reigns, and belts. However i want to attempt at making wallets, and small bags, cases. I have most of the tools to do it as well.

What leather should i buy for doing this? Do i buy an entire tooling side and then cut it down into the pieces i need?

could someone link me to which weight, and size of leather i would need for making wallets on tandy's website?

thanks in advance, sorry to clutter up this thread with questions. everything the past couple pages has been killer!

no worries man! Leather weight is very important when it comes to making wallets. I typically use three different sizes when i build a wallet.

4-5oz for the outside

3-4oz for the backing where i attach the pockets and card slots.

2-3oz for any inlay work and for the pockets and cardholders themselves.

but everyone i know has the own formula for this. its best to experiment and find what works best for the design you have made.

I dont buy my leather from tandy, so i cant help you there. but if you are serious about the hobby, i would buy full sides of leather. its much cheaper in the long run...also, I recommend staying away from cheaper vegtan. you are making stuff thats supposed to last close to forever!!!!!!! dont waist hours of you time making somthing with crappy junk!.

hope this helps diamond! okay i am stepping off my soapbox now :)