Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

4791686871_6bfca985b5.jpg

First time I've made shoes, I figured I'd start with something simple. They've got a 16oz leather sole (sucked to sew) with a 7oz top and 6oz straps. I'm going to wear them mainly around the house and in the yard, I don't think the sole will be able to handle the city streets. Next shoe project is absolutely going to be mocs, hopefully with a crepe sole

4791686871_6bfca985b5.jpg

First time I've made shoes, I figured I'd start with something simple. They've got a 16oz leather sole (sucked to sew) with a 7oz top and 6oz straps. I'm going to wear them mainly around the house and in the yard, I don't think the sole will be able to handle the city streets. Next shoe project is absolutely going to be mocs, hopefully with a crepe sole

Damn! You just barely beat me to it!

I'm working on a pair of sandals for myself as we speak. I'm going for the birk style, with two straps, though. I've always hated thong sandals, can't handle stuff between my toes.

They look great, I hope mine turn out that nice.

Damn! You just barely beat me to it!

I'm working on a pair of sandals for myself as we speak. I'm going for the birk style, with two straps, though. I've always hated thong sandals, can't handle stuff between my toes.

They look great, I hope mine turn out that nice.

haha! I'm sure yours will turn out well also. I'm sort of the opposite- really don't like the larger straps on birks in the summer. What sort of sole are you going for? Mine are just leather, but now I'm knee deep in researching other sole options.

Frankly, I kinda like it. It almost gives it a wood look. But, to get it more uniform, I recommend thinning the dye with reducer, and either applying it in several coats of irregular pattern with a dauber, or spraying it on.

haha! I'm sure yours will turn out well also. I'm sort of the opposite- really don't like the larger straps on birks in the summer. What sort of sole are you going for? Mine are just leather, but now I'm knee deep in researching other sole options.

I was just planning to use leather as well, at least for the first pair. Like you, I don't own a machine, and I can't imagine stitching through a "real" sole by hand. You'll have to let me know how your next attempts go. There's always old tire rubber, that's a classic for DIY sandals.

I was just planning to use leather as well, at least for the first pair. Like you, I don't own a machine, and I can't imagine stitching through a "real" sole by hand. You'll have to let me know how your next attempts go. There's always old tire rubber, that's a classic for DIY sandals.

Yea, that's true. Just some sort of rubber cement and tire shavings?

I think what I'm going to try next is crepe rubber and Barge Cement. Apparently you scuff the leather sole, apply the cement, apply the crepe, then put it under something heavy for 72 hours (like a car tire). It sounds easy enough, plus it would protect the stitching that's on the leather sole. I still want to figure out how Quoddy does their crepe sole, it's like they melt the crepe and dip the show in it. looks so nice.

My Corter belt. It was the premium one when I got it but I think there are newer ones that are thicker.

When I got it.

2226840285_ded0b8fb24.jpg

Now after 6 months... I got it the same day I started wearing my Dry Bones

Added a keeper from my last oxblood belt and a bigger buckle I had.

IMG_0545.JPG

IMG_0544.JPG

IMG_0546.JPG

A little indigo love.

I got caught on my bike in a few rain storms while wearing this and the water soaking in created some interesting designs in the leather.

^^ would rep, but must spread.

Those are just the kinda images i was looking for, I'm about to start making a wallet this week, I got a single shoulder from Tandy.

it's not royal meadow, but that's the best I could do.

Wonderful patina, ranon!

I changed the closure on one of my card cases, and I think it works/looks better.

cc02sm.jpg