Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

for a minute there i thought you made that whole boot haha. The new photos look great, I like the first iphone case there. did you get a new camera?

Haha, thanks Eric :)

Pics are taken in our home studio with a SLR (1000D). Do they look nicer? I'm a newbie for taking pictures tho :o

they look a lot better. It looks like you're using lamp light, I'd suggest just moving the table or whatever you have your studio on next to an open window, or in a garage with the door open. this'll give you some really nice cool natural light and make the coloring come out a bit less yellow. This photo's kinda yellow too because I'm on a computer w.out any editing software, but you can get the idea of what natural light does.

4577026871_bca628eb04.jpg

they look a lot better. It looks like you're using lamp light, I'd suggest just moving the table or whatever you have your studio on next to an open window, or in a garage with the door open. this'll give you some really nice cool natural light and make the coloring come out a bit less yellow. This photo's kinda yellow too because I'm on a computer w.out any editing software, but you can get the idea of what natural light does.

Yup, the photos does came out yellowish, cant really show the real colour of the veg tan. I tried taking some pics during sunny days, under shade but sometimes they just dont turn out exactly wat I want :(

You got nice pics, even without editing, I can see it is really the colour of the veg tan :)

haha, thanks! if you have a 1000 d you should be able to manually set white balance. That's really easy to do before you shoot - all you need is a grey card or something white - and regardless of shooting conditions you'll get decently accurate color.

^Yeah, I always take my photos in indirect natural light, with the same color paper as the background. It makes it easy to adjust light levels to get everything looking pretty good.

The same, but different.

cases.jpg

DAMMIT CORTER I WAS SLEEPING WHEN YOU POSTED THOSE TODAY.

checked twitter and freaked out and then cried half a tear when i saw how beautiful the wallets were.

seriously though, that is a damn nice and very unique wallet. love it.

IMG_4138.jpg

I randomly met Marshall yesterday while at a Tandy in CT exploring the store, and he showed me this jacket. All I can say is that I was blown away by the amount of (great) workmanship that was put into it, it looked and felt out of control amazing. Nice meeting you Marshal!

Thanks corter, That was cool bumping into you there and I'm glad I had a chance to show you some of my work. I really liked that wallet you showed me. Maybe we can work out a trade for a satchel. It would be cool to have a piece of each others work.

I need to get some pics of how the jacket looks now and throw them in the evolution of leather thread because it's starting to get some cool fades.

totally! it does look beautiful now, you should throw some pics in the evo thread. here's this weeks most interesting wallets, i also did a couple blue/natural and oxblood quilted ones that i've posted before. I did a laptop case too, I'll get pictures of that tomorrow

4603430040_6cc542406c.jpg

4602793467_c47bd78f71.jpg

Opinions on these belt samples? (not so much the buckle, but how it's put together)

bucklefront.jpg

buckleback.jpg

(back of the leather won't be that dark- it was just freshly oiled)

buckled.jpg

burnishsm.jpg

tipssm.jpg

zissou looks good. My 2 cents. Don't drill out the stitch holes. You might have used an awl and took pictures right after you finished and they will shrink back down, but the holes are too big in the pictures. Also maybe case the leather at the buckle to get a tighter radius around the hardware. The edge bevel is nice but it looks like the keeper did not get it . Really liking the shape on the tongue end of the black one you have a solo picture of. The stitching is not consistent as far as where you started. I would start on the first hole going toward the edge to make my double stitch and finish on the other side so that all the stitching has the same amount of passes. One last thing. It is a matter of taste, but burnishing the edges.

Thanks for the input. They holes will shrink down with some use, and they were barely big enough to stitch through. I did mess up the stitching before the keeper, but did manage to get all single passes after the keeper. The keeper didn't get a beveled edge because it is lighter weight leather than the belt. I've been burnishing the edges, but I have difficulty getting them to look good on a natural belt. I need to stop using that stupid burnishing wheel and try a piece of hardwood or antler. The edges on the other colors are burnished.

Testing out some color combinations...

bucklestestsm.jpg

top to bottom,

nickel on black

antique nickel on natural

pewter on oxblood

brass on british tan

antique brass on cordovan

Nice updates, fellow crafters :)

I'd like to show our work for belts too, not too much colours, just black in various buckle. Uses 12oz full black (front and back) belt leather, burnished sides.

Black20belt20square20buckle.jpg

Black20belt20iron20round20buckle.jpg

12oz Veg Tan and a Longhorn Concho Key chain

AfghanMoonLonghornKeyChain1.jpg

Close up of the edges

AfghanMoonLonghornKeyChain2.jpg