Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

Wow, no kidding. The mirror finish on that multicolor edge burnish? Amazing. http://www.niwaleathers.com/products/index.html

There's a lot of craftsmen that are way better too. Plus my knowledge and skills are still considered pretty limited and narrow.

Take this guy that I recently found on the net for instance. I don't think he hand sews everything, but even if they aren't, they're still mind blowing in every other rights. It is true artisans like them that really humbles me.

Besides, I take way too much time per item for converting to full time to be viable.

I just picked up the Tandy Deluxe Starter Kit. It's on sale for $70 and there's a $10 coupon code: 1kRet-CR-11

As a complete beginner, is there anything else I should be looking to get that's not in the kit? Anything the kit doesn't have that makes getting started less difficult? I have a sewing awl ... a speedy stitcher I think it's called.

I'm just going to be starting with basic things ... whatever is recommended for beginners to start making. I'm not sure yet, I just know I'd like to try it.

I also think this book will teach you some very good things

http://www.amazon.com/Leatherworking-Handbook-Illustrated-Sourcebook-Techniques/dp/1844034747/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345566593&sr=8-1&keywords=valerie+leatherwork

However the Japanese books are also a source for some very good techniques and designs, however they're in Japanese, so you'll probably have to figure everything out from the pictures.

I made a case for my tablet and had a slot for a doane paper notebook. Stitching is off because I can't keep my hands straight to save my life but it's the best stitching I've done so far. Bigger whammy is that I seperated the pen and notebook with some stitching but it's too tight so no regular sized pens would fit

img20120823210923.jpg

img20120823211108.jpg

^ fancy knife.......what is that?

It's a bayha knife, I got because of a mini review hollows did on his tumblr, but more because of design and aesthetics than actual use though...I've been using a cheap boxcutter i got on sale from lowes instead lately

hai san,

The tablet case looks good! Nice design!

Thanks! The design isn't really original, i'm pretty sure someone in this thread or someone on etsy made one first

Who is your favourite supplier of solid brass belt buckles?

Right now I'm using Abbey in England, but their prices aren't exactly cheap and that makes my belts a whole lot more expensive. And I think many customers aren't exactly aware of, why they're paying more.

Hey Guys,

Here are few pics of a recent checkbook cover I did for a customer. It’s made from some cool patterned leather with a vintage leather lining. Nothing fantastic, but stuff like this still takes a lot of time when it’s hand stitched!

BDAC1F1F-392F-4CF5-B1F6-276908F0C8D5-8914-00001A6E99AD3586.jpg

D9BE8AE4-06A9-4FC1-B71E-C7C573146808-8914-00001A6E94113E34.jpg

88942A5B-611F-480C-B070-1F3F2FBADC21-8914-00001A6E8E929595.jpg

DDD0AFD3-3225-413B-8A44-3DD2414231E8-8914-00001A6E88798023.jpg

AB457FCC-D71E-47DD-86D0-54028EF0F42A-8914-00001A6E8277E819.jpg

I know i said i was gone for good, but i miss posting and sharing in this thread :)

here is a cool little project, got some killer Horween perforated Front Quarter Horsehide.

stuff is not easy to cut or work with. but i am pretty happy with the results.

also got to have fun with my new little photograhy setup for the first time.

7978104455_ab4f75e103_z.jpg

7978104747_3e0f508ba8_z.jpg

7978106602_7e9624dcce_z.jpg

7978106938_8462182293_z.jpg

I know i said i was gone for good, but i miss posting and sharing in this thread

"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in..."

Nice work on the wallet! Super clean!

Edited by Moonshine

hey guys. i'm looking to get a maker's mark made and infinity just quoted me $250 bucks. i know it's probably worth the money in the long run, but it's more than i was looking to spend. does anyone have any other good sources or ideas? my logo is super simple, nothing complicated at all.

or maybe i should just bite the bullet and order from infinity. any thoughts?

T.Wayne,

Grey Ghost Graphics did my makers mark for $40 and shipped it the same day I ordered it! It is made from a heavy duty composite material(laser cut). They have metal too but the price difference wasn't worth it to me at the time! I have used the stamp hundreds of times and I have never had a problem.

I can vouch for Laser Gift Creations. Very nice quality delrin stamp, which makes a very good impression. Their nice to work with and fast.

If I'm ever going to have another maker's stamp made, I'll probably good for a metal stamp, which is made by a proper engraver, but for the price that LGC or Grey Ghost Graphics for that matter, you can't go wrong.

Here's my current stamp(s)