Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

To anyone making wallets. Are you splitting your own leather down to 3-4oz or buying it at that size? Almost done a learning batch on some real low grade 2-3oz but I seldomly come across anything high grade in that range.

A manual splitter like a crank splitter can consistantly split your leather down to about 4oz. The problem is that most of them are only 6 inches wide which means you can really realistically expect to put about a 5 inch wide piece through it. That might not be big enough for the main panel of your wallet. I ended up doing something like this for one of my wallets:

6795525004_cf35eb73b5.jpg

Wickett & Craig will split your leather for you if you purchase from them. Their skirting leather (which is basically their straight veg tan stuff but dyed) they will split to whatever thickness you want for no additional charge. If you finish the leather yourself, it can look really nice. Their other leathers can be split as well but they charge you for it.

I ordered some leather from W&C recently. I was talking to the sales guy and told me that they produce leather for Louis Vuitton. It's the leather that LV uses for their trim (handles and such). He said that it's basically straight veg tan except they do a retan on it where they add some other type of tannin that helps the leather age to this golden brown that you see on older LV bags. They only sell the seconds to consumers but you can try that stuff out too. Might be interesting to use.

Andrew

Yep. Thanks!

Man... That's a lot of work. The first two bags I ever made I sewed by hand. I think I got tennis elbow from it (or something like that). I do things by machine now. I think my hands would fall off if I sewed another bag by hand.

Andrew

Few new things! Did my bifolds in 5 different colors of shell; black, navy, green, natural, and #8 (natural is my new favorite)

6984043096_3d95c94655_c.jpg

6984043770_d654e35500_c.jpg

7130127063_d70cdd2dce_c.jpg

Also, people asked me to post the Kickstarter link to the bottle hooks, so here it is! Going very well so far, almost half funded in 3 hours!

Dang Hollows - I'm drooling over that bag.

itsjustnc - Here's that wallet after some use. First image is brand new with a light tan and oil, the others are after about 6 months of daily use.

friday_and_River_Speakeasy_1.jpg

friday_and_River_Speakeasy_2.jpg

Can anyone give me some tips on making an organizer for tools? I've seen many using a strip of leather with sections divided by what I think are rivets? Do you guys have universal dividers (one fits all) or do you measure each individual tools to fit perfectly in the slot? Thanks!

A manual splitter like a crank splitter can consistantly split your leather down to about 4oz. The problem is that most of them are only 6 inches wide which means you can really realistically expect to put about a 5 inch wide piece through it. That might not be big enough for the main panel of your wallet. I ended up doing something like this for one of my wallets:

6795525004_cf35eb73b5.jpg

Wickett & Craig will split your leather for you if you purchase from them. Their skirting leather (which is basically their straight veg tan stuff but dyed) they will split to whatever thickness you want for no additional charge. If you finish the leather yourself, it can look really nice. Their other leathers can be split as well but they charge you for it.

I ordered some leather from W&C recently. I was talking to the sales guy and told me that they produce leather for Louis Vuitton. It's the leather that LV uses for their trim (handles and such). He said that it's basically straight veg tan except they do a retan on it where they add some other type of tannin that helps the leather age to this golden brown that you see on older LV bags. They only sell the seconds to consumers but you can try that stuff out too. Might be interesting to use.

Andrew

Thanks for the info on W&C supplying veg tan to LV. I would've thought they used a French tannery for all of their leather. I do love that patina on their handles!

Thanks for the info on W&C supplying veg tan to LV. I would've thought they used a French tannery for all of their leather. I do love that patina on their handles!

I think LV sold in the US is also made in the US. I'm sure, they use leathers from around the world.

Not all LV products sold in the US are made here. It really depends on the item. Iv'e seen Made in Spain, Made in USA and Made in France sold here in the US and I'm sure they have other countries manufacturing their goods too. I just thought all their materials were from French tanneries. Any luck with finding the French tannery you mentioned? I know a few tanneries in France, but not Sueur. What have you heard about Sueur?

Yea Ive heard wickett and craig made leather for louis vuitton somewhere before. Keep meaning to get some leather from them to check it out.

A couple new bags, this first one was for a member on here. Ive never dyed canvas before, but got this really beautiful purplish grey color using rit black. The enitre thing is lined, body, pockets, straps. Didn't get any good pics of the inside unfortunately. Its got polished nickel riri zips.

6c65066527cec343cc9d6c8edc9e3bf1_315353_lrg.jpg

This next guy is double layer 10 oz mint green canvas throughout, and brown cxl pocket and straps:

91b30fd9b9bfd6c0716348293151ed03_319452_lrg.jpg

All the edges are bound with grey bias tape, total pain in the ass, but totally worth it. Zip area is lined with brown pigskin. Really happy with the inside:

9c7d54daab71d0e8554bbca0761ef2ab_263655_lrg.jpg

also pretty into this color #8 shell wallet I made for a buddy. The rivets are from a bag I found in a box of tools an old guy gave me a while back, they are from the 70's, actual solid brass:

7f88a20c06eae03c483282419f25da16_1881460_lrg.jpg6e6720cb2e27edd39396ca8e023c5683_1350551_lrg.jpg78117f94342099fef650e1fec66bea19_2605928_lrg.jpgThe intials are written using a leather burner. Need some practice with it, but you can use it like a pen, I did some drawings on some scraps that could be pretty cool as wallets.

The guy at W&C told me that LV made some of the stuff here in the US (in California somewhere I think) and for those factories they use leather from W&C. I guess for their European factories they would use european tanneries.

Andrew

question for you leather heads: bought a tan tanner goods belt mooonths ago, at a sz 36. i've lost a lot of weight and i've made holes in it, but now the tongue is to long. what's the best way of shortening it? simply cutting it? should i treat the ends of it with something?

thanks

Jaw- I never thought of using Rit to dye canvas! I'm having a problem finding heavy material for totes in different colours local to me. This should fit the bill.

Yea i like how it turned out. Definitely would need to use like a packet per yard to get actual black because of the heavy weight of the fabric. I dyed three yards with one packet and got that color, wasn't going for black though. The possibilities are endless though. Pretty fun stuff.

Anyone know where I can get this tool:

!B6-muQ!CGk~$(KGrHqUOKnIEy3HFROG1BMy4fph9Ig~~_35.JPG

Except in 2 individual pieces instead of this 2-in-1 thing? So sick of getting tool impressions in the leather.

I hear ya brother. Worst fucking tool ever.

I'm about to buy some dooming tools from a company in England. I'll report back, when I figure out, if the quality is right. If you want, I can PM the supplier.

Or else just go to a local metal shop, and have them drill a small tool in a piece of steel. You can just use a piece of hollow steel for punching the burr in place.

Hollows, ive thought about that before too. You could get a piece of steel and drill a hole, and then use a rapid rivet setter to peen with. I share a shop with a couple metal fab dudes, i could see if they have some scrap and see how it works out. Ill post an update when i run into them. Would anyone else be interested?

I check this thread everyday, and everyday I'm blown away by the quality of the stuff you guys produce. Trully amazing stuff in here.

Did this little toolbag today. I wanted something in wich I can empty my pocket when I ride. (wallet, cellphone, keys, etc...) I'm pretty happy with the result :

_MG_6036_mini.jpg

_MG_6067_mini.jpg

_MG_6072_mini.jpg

Anyone know where I can get this tool:

!B6-muQ!CGk~$(KGrHqUOKnIEy3HFROG1BMy4fph9Ig~~_35.JPG

Except in 2 individual pieces instead of this 2-in-1 thing? So sick of getting tool impressions in the leather.

Bob Douglas from Sheridan WY. makes a killer setter for #9's. He may have a set that will work with #12's too, too. The 9 set will work to drive and set smaller rivets, but not to dome them.

xbzJP.jpg

ebRvw.jpg

20Hxx.jpg

kNgqR.jpg

Here's my standard bag after some improvements (thanks guys!). Solid brass under-handle bar. Brass wire sewn into the back pocket. It's incredibly solid feeling.

j5YMq.jpg

Neff3.jpg

better pictures of my last bag.

Here are some Wheat pennies I collected while being a cashier in a local store. Not worth much on their own but i think they'll make unique conchos... i domed them at school in my sculpture class...going to solder them in a few days.

6994470268_21f5f2dd90.jpg

Edited by FALERBRAND