Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

Only made for hurleyboarder and I. (still deciding though. these might go for sale)

I messed up alot because i was in a rush and honestly i didn't care anymore. I have no before pics but this is after a tan + nice oiling

Wait, so you messed up on something someone paid you to do and you're going to shipped out the botched job? No ethics huh?

Hmm, I don't mean to be a dick about it khoiphan, but this threw me:

The leather I used for these is one of the best leathers they had to offer so that explains the price.
The leather you used looks really low grade, IE visible range and tick marks and an abundance of age/stretching marks as well (which are different from areas where there once was veins). Again, this isn't meant to be a personal attack, I would just recommend not stating something is topgrade when it isn't. Tandy, which I presume is where you get your leather has some really nice hides, but it is really dependent on personally picking them out as well as picking the right supplier. The smell and the feel of leather will also immediately be indicative of leather quality.

Pictures explain things better than I do. They're intended to be big for detail.

First:

Taken from Khoiphan's V2. (http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=47278)

2292842334_a1661357f0.jpg
2292842858_793a4c457e.jpg
Then:

This is a side of Royal Meadow which is the best Tandy has to offer, unless you SPO Herman Oak. (Even then, picking out the right hide by close examination is crucial in getting a good one)

CIMG1052.jpg

Notice how undisturbed the grain is.

CIMG1054.jpg

CIMG1055.jpg

The hide on the right is Craftsman Oak (lower grade) which is the leather I used on my first wallet, the color differences can be attributed to varying amounts of light exposure as well as Tandy's desire to take better care of their higher end leather which is the Royal Meadow on the left (a smoother and more buttery grain).

CIMG1064.jpg

hi ican answer your questions but first, why the targetting on me? first it was the snitching to the mods and now this?

those spots are from replacing the color in photoshop i dont know why it did that because i am a total beginner at that stuff. i used it to brighten the background but for some reason as i brightened the background it also brightened spots of the leather etc.

and this was told to me by a worker of tandy he recommended this it wasnt the best but it was somewhere up there. notice how i said one of. not the best.

i will also post pictures of my unedited stuff. without brightening the background etc.

youll notice it doesnt look that way

and let's say your theory is correct (it's not) i wont change the price. corter uses the exact same leather and you see he charges more. i also don't see much difference in quality from his to mine. I worked very hard and slow to ensure i could do the best i could on my wallets.

hi ican answer your questions but first, why the targetting on me? first it was the snitching to the mods and now this?

those spots are from replacing the color in photoshop i dont know why it did that because i am a total beginner at that stuff. i used it to brighten the background but for some reason as i brightened the background it also brightened spots of the leather etc.

and this was told to me by a worker of tandy he recommended this it wasnt the best but it was somewhere up there

i will also post pictures of my unedited stuff. without brightening the background etc.

youll notice it doesnt look that way

Well, first, snitching to the mods... that wasn't me buddy, but I like how you just pulled that right out of nowhere.

"why the targetting on me?"

You seem to have me confused with another individual on a completely seperate incident to warrant the phrase "targetting on me".

All I am doing is merely pointing out that you shouldn't claim a price-point based on goods that can't suppliment the title of "qualtity", it's just misleading and wrong. I felt like I had to say it since, I feel slightly more informed (than the average human) for having dealt with leather.

For me, it interfers with my personal philosophy; if you're going to sell something and say it's "the best"; it better be the best. You better make it the best you can possibly make it if someone is going to buy it. Everything should be top notch, the customer should be able to feel the quality and time you put into a piece and not feel guilty about splurging on it since they know what they paid for. The customer is your lifeline, you give them the best damn service and product you can deliver and not just "say it's the best" or "the sales guy at Tandy said it was the best".

It's your obligation as a leathercrafter to know what the best is, to go out and find "the best", research, if you're going to claim "this is quality stuff".

That brings me to the editing. Hey, I could be wrong, maybe you can edit a photo to such extremity that it alters the grain drastically, but I really don't think so.

I don't mean to lecture you on my business principles, but you asked why I felt the need to post what I did.

I''m just not really fond of jumping on the leathercrafting wagon to make a buck. I want to actually be good at what I do, and if people are willing to pay for my work then so be it, but I don't want to string together flesh for just the money.

and let's say your theory is correct (it's not) i wont change the price. corter uses the exact same leather and you see he charges more. i also don't see much difference in quality from his to mine. I worked very hard and slow to ensure i could do the best i could on my wallets.

Opps, I missed this, you must have added it when you edited.

My theory? I didn't really have a theory, I just said your stuff looks lowgrade from the pictures due to noticeable traits(as mentioned before, range, tick, and age marks)in low-end leather that you claim to be "the best".

i also don't see much difference in quality
Hmm, well, look at the 6th picture I posted. Two different hides in terms of quality. The one on the left is Royal Meadow which IS the best Tandy stocks at my tannery, the one on the right is Craftsman Oak(taken from the Tandy catolog, Craftsman Oak is "a super value in an imported economy grade tooling leather."), now, which hide more closely resembles yours?

I don't need a flame war, this isn't to bash you. I just don't want you claiming things that are misleading, that is it.

dude, i don't use the same leather as you use at all. don't want to get into this, because your buisness is your own, but i dont think I've ever discussed cuts of leather with you?

I buy by the side, usually one a month to keep things fresh. my leather is all hand selected by myself from a private tannery. by the pictures, you're using shoulder cuts. you can tell because you don't get the fine grain of a side, and the leather appears glassy and shiny. plus theres a ton of range marks and scratches, that or you used a volcom tee shirt filter on the photo.

I really do like your stuff man, but you should read up on leather before you try to sell it to someone.

only thing i visit sometimes is leatherworker.net, which is awesome for tooling work and motorycle seats, but they always ask me what color i'm going to dye my wallets when i post finished product (oh SUF standards). I learned by researching on my own, mostly. I wish i had found it sooner, but i think i joined around christmas, afer I had most of my skills under my belt.