Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

Thanks for the quick replies guys! Honestly I just don't want to spend a lot on a sewing machine as I am just beginning this, like for whatever reason if it doesn't work out I will have wasted a lot of money, though I guess I can sell it again....I think i'm gonna look for the ones you recommended superjunkie and then if I really like what I'm doing I won't mind investing a lot more into it. Now ima play the waiting game till I find something for a good deal.

Buying your first sewing machine for leather is a scary proposition cause you really have no idea what you need and what different machines will do for you. Craigslist is definitely a good resource. Generally look for machines that say "industrial walking foot sewing machine". What area do you live in? I live in the SF Bay Area and there's a few on Craigslist that's listed in the $650 range. Might be closer to your budget (I saw a really nice machine a while back for like $450 so deals are out there).

Bear in mind though that whatever machine you get on Craigslist will probably be geared towards upholstery sewing which means that it probably has a very fast clutch motor. You might want to budget in some extra money to replace that will something called a gear reduction servo motor ($150-200). It'll help you control your stitches much easier and sew a lot slower.

BTW, you might also want to look into something called the Sailrite LS-1. Folks on Leatherworker don't like them but since you're not working on super thick stuff, it might work just fine for you. It's a portable walking foot sewing machine mainly designed for sewing sails and canvas and stuff but should be able to handle thinner leathers. They can be found pretty cheap used ($300 range?).

Anyways, good luck.

Andrew

Not leather, but what the hell haha. It'll probably get a leather handle eventually. I restore some stuff in my free time, this is an old oil can I just finished up. It's called a swing spout because the spout swings down, I'm gonna use it as a watering can.

Before:

6834347412_b777a59b8a_z.jpg

After:

6834350934_0b8739e2d4_z.jpg

I like it, but I think I liked it more before the repaint... but I things beat up looking...

The finished product is screaming out to me to have that swingsprout raised detail painted red....

After looking at the sewing machine talks, i decided to look around my area for one. I am sewing some wallets and other kind of accessories mostly 2-4 oz i guess. So i was wondering if something Juki Sewing Machine DDL-8300N would be something i could use. Maybe adding a walking foot to it? Totally new at this sewing machine thing so any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I like it, but I think I liked it more before the repaint... but I things beat up looking...

The finished product is screaming out to me to have that swingsprout raised detail painted red....

Thanks dude- I usually like stuff like that too, but since I'm using it to water plants I had to strip it to clean the oil out of it. Plus, the old paint was terrible and chipped all over, so this prevents paint chips containing who-knows-what that the cats can eat I went with a repaint. Gonna letter it actually- just need to find time!

Thanks dude- I usually like stuff like that too, but since I'm using it to water plants I had to strip it to clean the oil out of it. Plus, the old paint was terrible and chipped all over, so this prevents paint chips containing who-knows-what that the cats can eat I went with a repaint. Gonna letter it actually- just need to find time!

Ha! Nice find corter.

So I went to Tandy yesterday to pick up some stuff and look around. I usually like to buy the leather from the odd lots pile since it usually works for my style an looks great dyed, but decided instead to take a look at the Royal Meadow since I have some things I want to make and leave natural. The quality at my Tandy is hit and miss at the best of time but damn, I couldnt find one side of RM that wasn't all bashed up. Scuffs, cuts and odd marks were on every single piece. The leather felt great and would amazing to work with, but damn.

So the moral of the story is that I need to find a better supplier in Ontario or im going to have to start mail ordering my veg tan hides.

After looking at the sewing machine talks, i decided to look around my area for one. I am sewing some wallets and other kind of accessories mostly 2-4 oz i guess. So i was wondering if something Juki Sewing Machine DDL-8300N would be something i could use. Maybe adding a walking foot to it? Totally new at this sewing machine thing so any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

A Juki 8300 is an industrial sewing machine with a regular presser foot (not a walking foot). Although some folks sell a "Walking Foot" attachment for home machines (not sure if such an attachment is available for this machine), those aren't really walking feet. What you'll notice if you use a machine like this is that the leather will tend to slip, especially going over seams and bumps and you'll get uneven stitch lengths if it feeds at all. Also, in order for these machines to feed, they use the feed dogs on the bottom to grab the material and that can mark up the bottom side of your leather. Not sure how important this is but something to keep in mind.

Andrew

Hey guys, thanks for the behind the scenes info on how you guys go about pattern making. I usually use a straight edge ruler and L-ruler on manila folders I have laying around. Then I use a blade and straight edge ruler to cut the patterns out.

Anyways, does anyone know a supplier who sells Lin Cable or Campbell's irish linen thread? I've been googling and it's hard to locate these.

Hey guys, thanks for the behind the scenes info on how you guys go about pattern making. I usually use a straight edge ruler and L-ruler on manila folders I have laying around. Then I use a blade and straight edge ruler to cut the patterns out. Anyways, does anyone know a supplier who sells Lin Cable or Campbell's irish linen thread? I've been googling and it's hard to locate these.

For patterns I draw them out on graph papers. The I glue em onto cereal boxes and them out. I prefer hand drawing cause it gives me better control over the measurements. I don't trust my printer <_<. Plus I prefer drawing curves by hand.

I don't know about Campbell's irish linen thread. Are they the same as the barbours linen thread? Anyway i've been hearing nothing but good things about barbours. The only caveat is that you have to dye them if you want something other than white.

Posted · Hidden by lazybum, March 15, 2012 - To be replaced by the following post
Hidden by lazybum, March 15, 2012 - To be replaced by the following post
I'm also super interested in seeing some pics.

Ill try to take pictures soon. Been too lazy to take them out and snap pics.

So here is my first attempt at a full sized bag. Designed as I made, hence a couple of design hiccups. Functionality is also pretty basic with a single compartment as I did not want to go too crazy on my first try. May upgrade it by adding a few pockets inside when I have time.

bag1.jpg

The design takes its cue from the classic US postal bags but with a more modern twist.

bag2.jpg

The flap construction is what I really love about the original postal bag design.

bagfit.jpg

Good job Lazybum. Had to rep twice. Haha.!

Is the stitching on the strap ornamental or is it two plys of leather.? It looks like a nice burnish btw.

And whats the oz of the body..? Did you have to wet it to turn it inside out. (recently i made a bag like that out of 6-7 oz and i had to wet it before i could even turn it inside out and it got pretty crumpled.)

If you want waxed linen, I recommend Royalwood. I'm going to switch the their thread soon. I received a sample card, and the thread looks great, and seems to be very strong.

For patterns I draw them out on graph papers. The I glue em onto cereal boxes and them out. I prefer hand drawing cause it gives me better control over the measurements. I don't trust my printer <_<. Plus I prefer drawing curves by hand. I don't know about Campbell's irish linen thread. Are they the same as the barbours linen thread? Anyway i've been hearing nothing but good things about barbours. The only caveat is that you have to dye them if you want something other than white.

Hah! I tried using graphing paper last night. For the round curves, corners etc., I use coins, cd's, or 45 rpm records.

As for Barbours, I heard they're one of the best, but I don't think they're the same as Campbell's. I wanted to try Lin Cable too since Hermes uses their threads. If anyone know where to get some, let me know! There's this Korean blogger who's got a Vergez Blanchard collection that's probably worth a small fortune. In one of the bloggers photo, there's Campbell's, Lin Cable and this other brand which I forgot the name of. The link is:

http://blog.naver.com/postview.nhn?blogid=not_exist&logno=80112175262&categoryno=0&parentcategoryno=0&viewdate=&currentpage=8&postlisttopcurrentpage=1&usertoplistopen=true&usertoplistcount=5&usertoplistmanageopen=false&usertoplistcurrentpage=8

Thanks

Good job Lazybum. Had to rep twice. Haha.! Is the stitching on the strap ornamental or is it two plys of leather.? It looks like a nice burnish btw. And whats the oz of the body..? Did you have to wet it to turn it inside out. (recently i made a bag like that out of 6-7 oz and i had to wet it before i could even turn it inside out and it got pretty crumpled.)

Thanks! Its two plys of leather stitched together. And its made from 4-5oz throughout, with the exception of the closure straps which are 3-4 and 2-3 oz stitched together.

And yes turning the bag inside out is a pain with veg tanned, especially w&c's which is on the stiffer side. In fact I don't think ill be making this kind of bags that needs to be turned inside out with veg tanned again. Other types of leather are more suitable. I wet it slightly, then gave it some oiling it to make the leather more pliable before turning it inside out. It ended up a bit crumpled too, if you look at the back part carefully.

Very nice. Very clean. Did you hand sew or machine sew this one? Andrew

Thanks! Its handstitched as well. Don't think I will ever own a sewing machine.

Hah! I tried using graphing paper last night. For the round curves, corners etc., I use coins, cd's, or 45 rpm records. As for Barbours, I heard they're one of the best, but I don't think they're the same as Campbell's. I wanted to try Lin Cable too since Hermes uses their threads. If anyone know where to get some, let me know! There's this Korean blogger who's got a Vergez Blanchard collection that's probably worth a small fortune. In one of the bloggers photo, there's Campbell's, Lin Cable and this other brand which I forgot the name of. The link is: http://blog.naver.com/postview.nhn?blogid=not_exist&logno=80112175262&categoryno=0&parentcategoryno=0&viewdate=&currentpage=8&postlisttopcurrentpage=1&usertoplistopen=true&usertoplistcount=5&usertoplistmanageopen=false&usertoplistcurrentpage=8 Thanks

Wow that guy has some pretty nice collection of tools and materials

Edited by lazybum

Does anyone have any info on the Singer 660 sewing machine? How thick material can it handle? Can I get a walking foot for it? There are a few being sold near me but I can't find much info about it online except for this http://reclaimedwrec...nd-product.html where she claims to use it on tire rubber? Should I buy?

http://parts.singerco.com/IPsvcManuals/660A202.pdf here is the manual, so its got a pressure foot, no way I can buy a walking foot for it?

Edited by Panzer

I think if you're doing leather look for a singer 111w style or it's clone.... get one with a walking foot. Not one that you can put one one on....

if you're doing thin leathers I'd suggest a rolling foot. If you're on the look out you can pick up a walking foot machine for very little money. as in under 200 bucks. I'm not sure if they have a walking foot attachment for industrial machines as most people would just buy the machine they need and not have one that has many uses....

Edited by Happy Hooligan

I think the clarification for a few people asking about sewing machines is that you cant "add" a walking foot to a non wf machine. It is a completely different machine. There is no way to convert a regular machine, industrial or otherwise to a walking foot. its not super easy, but with some detective work you can find info about compound feed walking foot machines and what makes them work, and ypu can also find names,of machines to look for. Your easiest bet is to get an old upholstery machine to start with, its really the only "cheap" way to get into the world of industrial sewing machines. This forum is really not a great resource for machine info cause most people who post here sew by hand. I hope this helps anyone looking fr a sewing machine. its pretty easy to google a list of popular wf machines.