Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

I like goatskin as long as it's veg-tanned. The book binding stuff is really nice and pretty expensive. The guys at Langlitz swear by it for jackets. Here's a billfold I made tonight from some (not expensive) goat that was veg-tanned to cover bibles. It's quite stiff for it's weight, super thin, and incredibly strong.

P9281296.jpg

P9281297.jpg

I like goatskin as long as it's veg-tanned. The book binding stuff is really nice and pretty expensive. The guys at Langlitz swear by it for jackets. Here's a billfold I made tonight from some (not expensive) goat that was veg-tanned to cover bibles. It's quite stiff for it's weight, super thin, and incredibly strong.

P9281296.jpg

P9281297.jpg

Everytime I see that black on red I fall in love a little more!

^^^^^Nice bag man! What kind of filler are you using on the turned edge and handles?

Good work! Making those kind of handles on soft leather is so time consuming and difficult. Did you line the handles with gaffers tape?

It will help reinforce the soft leather from stretching after some use.

Thanks dude.!

The turned edge is well... A turned edge.? It looks stuffed prolly cause this is pretty thick stuff, roughly 5-6oz.? I used some more chrome tanned as fillers for the handles tho. Pretty much just folded a strip of it, stuck it on and stitched it up..!

Yea..! I hate how the soft leather flexes. Sometimes you think you get a straight edge, but it turns out all wonky.

Oh yea... Nice tip..! Didn't think about that.. I figured that this is pretty thick stuff, and the filler in the handle is actually stuck in there pretty snug.

I tried my first watch band. Not thrilled with the first one. But I wanted something for my Omega and I wanted a real alligator band, not the fake one that I had.

I learned a bit on making this one. Way too wide, probably just go with one cord thread also. It's lined with 3 oz veg tanned cow.

DSC00940.jpg

DSC00943.jpg

DSC00941.jpg

hey guys,

any feedback on this ?:

16833445_8zdw.png

http://leatherburnishers.com/Burnishers-for-Dremel.html

Comments on leatherworker.net seems really positive

I've got a set. They are awesome. Gotta be careful though, you can get some smoke going pretty easily, and char your edges. Which can actually look kinda cool if you get it even. But otherwise, if you got a dremel tool, it's one of those "might as well" kind of things cause they are pretty cheap. They work exceptionally well for polishing after applying beeswax, cause you can literally melt the wax into the edge with it.

here is a new wallet style i have been working on. its still a prototype but about 85% there. just need to change a few thing like the coin flap, and a few other small details.

its all made of black bridle leather scraps and low quality areas of the hide. so excuse the leather quality. :)

6209504429_ef87231d17_b.jpg

6210019542_066b5aa297_z.jpg

6209504507_04cf611696_z.jpg

6209504305_53a1fc0d7e_z.jpg

You must have some high standards. I'm not one for the murdered out but that's a handsome bit of kit.

thanks dude! I am not a big fan of "murdered out" myself.

but when your buddy asks for a new wallet and he looks like this. I think black on black is the way to go! ;)

6212687688_3646d4492a_z.jpg

Pretty descent job, Ray! Beautifully done!

Have you thought about adding a nice, chunky all black or black/nickel Riri zipper, like we discussed?

I would love to put some riri zippers on this wallet simon. but i hate hand stitching zippers! plus for a wallet of this nature (for men anyways) a flap is a bit easier to use i feel.

Holy crap that guy is fast and does his stitching stholman style!!!

Rep+ if he was a sufu member

YEA. TELL ME ABOUT IT. I FEEL SO GUILTY USING DIAMOND HOLE PUNCHES. And even when i use an awl, i feel guilty now for punching all the holes then stitching..! Haha.! Now. Its 2 in the morning where I'm at, I'm saddle stitching cause of him. Haha.!

I love that clam he has...

Yea, i wonder what you call one of those, the way it works and if angling your work piece like that helps with aligning the awl's pierces.

I think those clams are more of a european thing than an american thing. although the clam looks easier to use and more versatile for larger projects.

Y'know... The clamp makes more sense than the pony...

By angling the work piece, you can easily see the pockmarks left by your spacers without tilting your head.

It's gonna make your stitching faster provided you can compensate the angle of the work piece and get a nice perpendicular stab each time.

i have actually just bought an antique one a couple of days from an older saddler. I'm waiting for it to arrive.

I need to put some leather on the top ends and add some varnish, but other than that it looks good.

My stitching horse is way too tight for many projects, which has sometimes made small indentations, if I'm not careful.

YEA. TELL ME ABOUT IT. I FEEL SO GUILTY USING DIAMOND HOLE PUNCHES. And even when i use an awl, i feel guilty now for punching all the holes then stitching..! Haha.! Now. Its 2 in the morning where I'm at, I'm saddle stitching cause of him. Haha.!

Yeah but that's some heavy leather, wallet weight leather just gets beat up if you try to saddle stitch like that without the pre-punch. Or my awl blades just suck :/