Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

I have this Filson bag but want to remove the handles and put on longer straps to make it longer like the picture below. As long as I use some good heavy thread, reattaching the new handles shouldn't be a problem?

And on another note, does anyone have any straps that are 1 1/4'' (I think) and could be dyed the proper color? Get at me through PM with cost involved.

70257-main-242.jpg

70261-main-341.jpg

Haha, I just had to post some of my own doodoo flies.

It's Fiebing light brown, I like it a little more than the saddle tan.

i have heard doodoo flies is a great leather conditioner.

AHAHAHA.! You guys cracked me up in the office. ROFL. Thanks for putting me in a tough spot. Try explaining to your supervisor about doodoo flies. HAHAHA

Made another wallet this weekend. I was a bit reluctant with making my first zip pouch, but it was super easy. I just want to get to a point (soon) where I can drop this veg-tanned leather and use the good stuff.

Spider web studding is way off, but I know what to do next time. Also, the part where you stitch the center of the lining? Yeah...I know now not to make that the last part - it's impossible to sew at the end. I just ended up cutting it out.

All in all, I'm somewhat happy with the outcome. I wanna try and work on my edging on the next wallet.

DSCN3392.JPG

DSCN3395.JPG

DSCN3396.JPG

DSCN3397.JPG

found this strap at a local flea market for 3€ and thought why not...

bild11117.jpg

bild11115.jpg

bild11116.jpg

is it too thick for a belt?...otherwise i could make a nice strap out of it for a case or something similar!?...

opinions?

BELT. WITH BRASS BUCKLE. WOULD LOOK MAD SWEET. AND BTW. NOTHING IS TOO THICK FOR A BELT. ;)

I've been doing a bit more traveling and decided to make a travel wallet that would help ease check in, security, etc. Holds my boarding passes, ID, credit card, and the big pocket holds my iphone.

6001302403_732b75dc0f.jpg

Lately I have been thinking about buying some oil pull-up because the leather shop near me has some very beautiful hides that have been tanned in Germany and the price isn't too bad either...

But what do you guys make of it? I guess wallets are out of the question.

I remember finding some antique miltiary cases that were still very flexible/bendable despite their old age because they were oil tanned.

Lately I have been thinking about buying some oil pull-up because the leather shop near me has some very beautiful hides that have been tanned in Germany and the price isn't too bad either...

I remember finding some antique miltiary cases that were still very flexible/bendable despite their old age because they were oil tanned.

very difficult to get a good burnish on oil tan. but i like the stuff. i say go for it. just depends on what you want to use it for.

Oil tanned is great stuff to use when making bags, they are nice and waterproof. In fact the first bag i made was out of oil tanned.

IMG_4445.JPG

IMG_4446.JPG

But a word of caution, the stuff scratches real easy.

IMG_4448.JPG

That long scratch was from either my nails or a light graze from an awl.

very difficult to get a good burnish on oil tan. but i like the stuff. i say go for it. just depends on what you want to use it for.

TheBlackGoat is right. They are insanely tough to get a good burnish on, which is why i choose to give it a nice clean edge when i use them.

IMG_4542.JPG

IMG_4546.JPG

Really nice bag, NC. I still put a little gum trag on the edges of oil tanned and give it a little slicking to keep the fibers down. Of course, if I use a sharp knife, there isn't much in the way of fibers...

Or, I just hit the edges with a tiny bit of oil and it gives it a nice aged look.

Really nice bag, NC. I still put a little gum trag on the edges of oil tanned and give it a little slicking to keep the fibers down. Of course, if I use a sharp knife, there isn't much in the way of fibers...

Or, I just hit the edges with a tiny bit of oil and it gives it a nice aged look.

Thanks Zissou.! And yeap..! I like using a sharp knife and the oil slicking trick.! ;)

Haha.! Thanks a lot guys.! You're too kind..!

Anyways, expect a few more bags to come..! Gonna exhaust my stash of Tandy's leather, planning to get some better hides and start selling a little..! Gonna take awhile though..! Juggling work at the same time.!