Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

Here's a Sporran I made my Scottish neighbor. It's red buffalo with hair-on cow and horsehair tassels. I'm not really sure how to attach the tassels, so I just tied them on to the front of the bag. Any ideas?

P7211052.jpg

Someone posted a video on leatherworker and it showed that whole bag being made. It was an old Scottish movie without sound. But it will be a pleasant 15 min watch.

I'll see if I can locate it.

Thanks Simontuntelder! That video is really helpful. I got my copper rivet setters from a guy at the Sheridan Leather Convention who makes them himself and sells tham at trade shows. They were somewhere around 50 bucks and worth every cent - so much nicer than the Tandy or Weaver versions (of which I have both). I have a foot press setter. I got it an antique store for $25.00 with a bunch of dies. I've never used it for copper rivets, but it works perfectly for setting all kinds of snaps including glove and segma snaps.

P7221058.jpg

P7221060_2.jpg

I have been following for a while, reading, learning, royally screwing up, and I finally got something to come out close to how I wanted it to. This was from the last bit of the first shoulder I bought. Just enough success to warrant another purchase

tumblr_lorit9skGi1qfq2e9o1_400.jpg

tumblr_lorit9skGi1qfq2e9o2_500.jpg

tumblr_lorit9skGi1qfq2e9o3_500.jpg

here are some cardholders, the design of the front is based off some H.R. Giger artwork

they are fully lined with pigskin

5964523465_a3cfe366c0_b.jpg

5964523595_a4f81e97b0_z.jpg

5965080324_fcb72a654b_z.jpg

Nice...! I love it.! It looks very fantasy book-ish...! Really unique design,and if you could think of something it could do to make it functional, you'd nail the design..! Great job.!

Thanks Simontuntelder! That video is really helpful. I got my copper rivet setters from a guy at the Sheridan Leather Convention who makes them himself and sells tham at trade shows. They were somewhere around 50 bucks and worth every cent - so much nicer than the Tandy or Weaver versions (of which I have both). I have a foot press setter. I got it an antique store for $25.00 with a bunch of dies. I've never used it for copper rivets, but it works perfectly for setting all kinds of snaps including glove and segma snaps.

You mean Bob Douglas, right?

I have been thinking about buying his setters, but he is apparantly hard to get hold off - like only answering call 1 hour a week....

here is another non forum style leather work i just completed for one of my good friends that plays drums in a sick metal band. i know yet again, this stuff is not everyones cup of tea. but where else can i show off?

HAIL SATAN! :)

5981363867_90b4a64ddd_z.jpg

5981924122_798c59863b_z.jpg

my buddy looking grim and frosty!!!! hehehe

5981363935_0a4df51350_z.jpg

Those cuffs are so good.

Corter, I like the floppiness of musette straps, personally. The appeal of this type of bag is a few things that drape about you. Also if the strap cannot be knotted to shorten it, maybe adjustability is in order?

My two cents. I like your closure solution to both pockets.

corter, i love that musette bag. hopefully i will be able to pick one up when they come out. repeater put out a good point about the length of the sling. will they be adjustable?

awesome cuffs TheBlackGoat. not really my cup of tea but i have to say that they look good and is something different. detailing is nice as well. totally suits the look your friend is going for. out of rep!

thanks for the input guys! the strap will be changing a bit- it'll be leather, but it'll be adjustable and probably a bit thinner. this is just the first working sample to test out the actual bag.

If you look you can see that the ends of the strap attach to opposite sides of the bag, which causes it to fit the body nicely. That's what I love about this style bag as well, it's so simple and comfortable.This is what I'm testing now, to see if that's the solution or if I should bring them from the side seams. Either way, it'll be adjustable. Since I made this one for myself I opted for the clean look of fitting it to myself.

great to hear about the tweaks you will be making to them. perfect! with regards to the asymetrical placing of the straps, you might want to take note if it pulls the bag out of shape after some wear. i have had a bag with asymetrical strap placement and yes it does fit the body nicely but after a bit of prolonged carrying, it started to sort of pull the material out of shape and resulted in the bag having pull lines on the fabric because of the weight and pressure from the pull. — not saying that your design WILL result in the same problem but rather you might want to take note to see if it happens to it as well. cheers for the great design!

Okay, I think I finally have this design nailed down. It's evolved quite a bit over the months I've been working on it.

Rounded edges, one solid piece for the card holder and open denim so you have two slots to put cash or papers....

It's just really tough getting the denim to lay just right with out peaking through the seams... This one turned out really nice. I'm still going to tweak it a bit, but it's pretty much the final design.

DPP_0008-1.jpg

DPP_0012-1.jpg

DPP_0009-1.jpg

You mean Bob Douglas, right?

I have been thinking about buying his setters, but he is apparantly hard to get hold off - like only answering call 1 hour a week....

I got mine from another guy who was selling stuff up there. I can't remember his name. Bob Douglas also makes them, though. I think You can get any of his tools through his daughter's shop - Sheridan Leather Outfitters. It's a killer shop. They can source rare leathers for you. They are connected with most of the custom tool makers and have more leathercraft knowledge than anyone I've ever met. They have regular business hours - mountain time. Or you can contact them on facebook.

Sheridan Leather Outfitters

307-674-6679

2047 Coffeen Ave

Sheridan, Wyoming 82801

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sheridan-Leather-Outfitters/133274073356490

5986453910_f967d0565a_z.jpg

Finished up the stuff I'm doing for Declaration this month. Drew up some quick packaging, then printed it- ink's still wet because I had to send it off to get approved so the blue's bright, but this is the final. I made a couple wallets too, gotta photograph em.

5986444524_f394aa29c4_z.jpg

RsOBP.jpg

KH3On.jpg

lXdnT.jpg

zTajQ.jpg

a0zs3.jpg

0sGrL.jpg

18x12x6 bag, compacts to 16x12x3 with adjustable top straps (they make a huge difference)

handsewn, heavily grained oil tan cowhide. This leather has such a rich color and grain I just want to sink into it, it's going to patina amazingly