Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

yeah i have a random old singer and it plows through two 5oz pieces no problem.

speaking of 5oz leather.. im sick of it. i keep buying shoulders off tandy cause theyre cheap and im just practicing but i think im ready to spend some dough on thinner leather so my wallets dont end up a half inch thick.

also, wallet looks great TBG. the 'pockets being smaller than the overall edge of the wallet' thing is really growing on me.

A PYC post of my TLC for my EDC. HAHAHA.!

Made me some leather balm over the weekends. Mostly for rejuvenating, but the waterproofing quality is pretty decent too.

IMG_6105.JPG

Made it into a nice creamy texture. not too watery cause it gets difficult to apply. And like meringue, it doesn't drop if you overturn it.

IMG_6106.JPG

This is after one application on a piece of Vegetable Tanned. It significantly darkens the leather but the picture kind of exaggerates the darkness. Cause i kinda got too excited and didn't let the oiled piece dry first. HAHA.!

IMG_6104.JPG

Props to Mike for spurring me on into doing this little project.!

regardless of leather thickness, glue has nothing to do with finished edges unless you're actually using it to hold a wallet together (no stitching at all, like on some watch bands). sounds like you need to work on getting your edges cut super sharp and even, and stitch closer to the edge of your work.

AH... Thanks for the tip. gonna try it out as soon as i get the chance.!

my first Horween Shell Cordovan wallet. in Oxblood color with sinew stitch and natural Bridle Leather innards.

Very Cool Black Goat! Here's one I made for myself 3 days ago. This is what 3 days of hard use does to Shell. It's shell cordovan (whiskey, I think?) exterior and Herman Oak 2 oz. interior. Herman Oak strap leather is awesome. I can't say enough good about it.

P7121010.jpg

P7121011.jpg

P7121009.jpg

revised my pattern a little bit more... this one I'm actually using myself...

DSC00435.jpg

DSC00436.jpg

I need to give that shell a try, but at 100 bucks a pop, it's pricy if you mess up...

revised my pattern a little bit more... this one I'm actually using myself...

DSC00435.jpg

DSC00436.jpg

I need to give that shell a try, but at 100 bucks a pop, it's pricy if you mess up...

its looking better everytime you make it man! congratz!

my first Horween Shell Cordovan wallet. in Oxblood color with sinew stitch and natural Bridle Leather innards.

Very Cool Black Goat! Here's one I made for myself 3 days ago. This is what 3 days of hard use does to Shell. It's shell cordovan (whiskey, I think?) exterior and Herman Oak 2 oz. interior. Herman Oak strap leather is awesome. I can't say enough good about it.

P7121010.jpg

P7121011.jpg

P7121009.jpg

Thanks Unlucky! your wallet looks awesome! great minds think alike cause i was also working on Horween Shell Cordovan in the same color.

(i dont know if its whiskey or cigar) do you use your cylinder arm to sew your wallets?

5931263076_d8f16913d0.jpg

5931263208_cd4c5dd90e.jpg

5931263136_7937fcf5da.jpg

5930705935_5c35b1c205.jpg

all you guys are making me want to get some shells...

DO IT JAW!!!!!! :)

Thanks Unlucky! your wallet looks awesome! great minds think alike cause i was also working on Horween Shell Cordovan in the same color.

(i dont know if its whiskey or cigar) do you use your cylinder arm to sew your wallets?

Thanks Black Goat. Your artificial sinew looks killer! I used to use that stuff all the time. I love how waxy it is. I've messed around with Elk and Deer sinew. That's a whole different ball game. It's quite difficult (at least for me) to make, but it's got the coolest silvery color, and it's insanely strong.

I use my Adler upholstery machine to do the hidden stuff (card slots, attach zipper pocket) and to sew in the zipper with size 92 thread. I use my big Singer 45 Clone (cylinder machine) to close the zipper pocket and to attach the card panel with size 207 thread. I also use it to punch holes around the perimeter. and then I hand saddle stitch the interior panel and outside shell together with size 346. I haven't figured out a way to use the machine to get the interior and exterior pieces together with this style wallet. I punch all the holes around the exterior first, then attach the card panel and zipper pocket, then spilt the interior piece, and saddle stitch it down the middle. Last I sew the two big pieces together. Sounds like a pain in the ass, but it goes pretty quickly.

Here's a dog collar I just built from a doubled up piece of 9 oz veg horse butt dyed Fiebing Mahogany.

P7121014.jpg

Cool wallets blackgoat, love the black on black.

a few new things. First a tote bag, made of a sort of nubuck leather I had laying around:

5938335428_aa4db63c5c_z.jpg

5938429730_d38aa83048_z.jpg

wallet, horse outside, cow inside:

5938437246_da2216dc34_z.jpg

5937754681_0e41a7f304_z.jpg

And finally, a bag I made for myself! Trying outside stitching on some scratched up brown chromexcel:

5938433744_9c92e0d28c_z.jpg

5937875327_f26041eb83_z.jpg

I'm doing a project for a small clothing company up here in Boston, and they wanted to go for a heat brand for some bracelets so we ordered some up and got em in yesterday. I'll be going with a heat brand for my new mark as well, these things are insanely awesome.

5938274940_a572258d3e_z.jpg

I know this has been discussed frequently but i can't seem to find the pages with the most info.

I'm looking for a sewing machine capable of sewing lighter leathers, along with canvas. I want to begin to experiment with making totes. The only drawback is I'm on a college student budget :(

Just go on Craigslist and look for old industrial machines from Singer, Union Special, Consew, Pfaff, Bernina, Juki or similar brands (there are tons of minor makers of sewing machines). See what's available and then do the research based on the number of the model. Just remember that industrial machines have one specific purpose, so chose your model with care and consideration.

-- Maybe go on Leatherworker.net and get feedback on the machine.

If you don't have any room for an industrial sewing machine, then I can personally recommend some of the older Singer sewing machines. At the moment I have a Singer 221 (part of the Featherweight series) and it is a beast compared to its small size.

I I'll be going with a heat brand for my new mark as well, these things are insanely awesome.

How do these work? Gas or electric?

I made a branding iron in welding class the other day, look forward to... heat it up and stabbing some leather... not sure what else to do with it really.

How do these work? Gas or electric?

I made a branding iron in welding class the other day, look forward to... heat it up and stabbing some leather... not sure what else to do with it really.

It's just like a soldering iron basically, it's electric. You plug a controller box into the wall, and the iron into the box, and the box has a dial 1-100 to control your heat. very simple, super awesome.

doing some bags:

5943873419_9cfdeb4856_z.jpg

I'm doing a project for a small clothing company up here in Boston, and they wanted to go for a heat brand for some bracelets so we ordered some up and got em in yesterday. I'll be going with a heat brand for my new mark as well, these things are insanely awesome.

5938274940_a572258d3e_z.jpg

That's interesting- I just bought a couple of tee shirts from Declaration a few days ago.