Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

spy- i really like the design of the bags, but i think if you have the edges some attention it would look a lot better. they look a little 'home made' left unfinished.

I put a fair amount of time into the burnish on this bag, you cant quite tell from the pictures I posted.

I was thinking about painting the edges dark brown, but decided against it.

I put a fair amount of time into the burnish on this bag, you cant quite tell from the pictures I posted.

I was thinking about painting the edges dark brown, but decided against it.

Did you cut the leather while it was wet? That makes for a cleaner cut...

And have you considered trying out some solid brass rivets?

Maybe it's just me, but i quite like using brass hardware with brass rivets. Unfortunately I also like how copper ages, but it is impossible to find copper hardware to my knowledge (if someone has a source, please let me know)

Anyways, great work.

You've got the sinew sewing thing down very nicely...

Where do you buy your sinew?

thanks simon,

the key is to stretch it out before you start, and make sure its not twisted up when threading the holes. it takes some practice and time, but the results look great.

the natural sinew is from tandy, the other colors i get are from threadexchange.com

Haven't done much recently but i did made something for my Daddy on Father's Day...! A leather cover for his new Asus tablet.

IMG_5999.JPG

Black Chrome Tanned Cow Hide.

IMG_6001.JPG

IMG_6002.JPG

Mexican Round Braiding.

IMG_6003.JPG

4 Strand Round Braid.

IMG_6004.JPG

I kinda laced the two braids together so it continues seamlessly, looks neater and is stronger.

thanks simon,

the key is to stretch it out before you start, and make sure its not twisted up when threading the holes. it takes some practice and time, but the results look great.

the natural sinew is from tandy, the other colors i get are from threadexchange.com

Thanks for the quick intro to sewing with sinew. I may give it a go, as I think I have a small reel lying around somewhere.

I have seen a lot of people try sewing with sinew without any luck - contrary to you - so I have often wondered what makes sinew so desirable?

Someone here might be able to help:

I'm looking to make have a belt buckle made. Not like tooled leather or engraved silver like that western style stuff but more along the lines of the classic Hermes H buckle. It would only be one character, slide buckle in sterling silver (but brass or nickel would probably be fine too). Searches usually only bring up places that do custom stuff more along the western / cowboy style that I'm not after. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

dude, you're in a thread with 30 people posting belts. pm someone that posts a picture of one you like.

its not that easy, since im looking for something like this

2ustnqs.jpg

I...that's...

Okay. I have to question the practicality of a knife that requires you to undo your belt in order to access it. That's going to send a mixed message in any self-defense scenario I can think of.

It will make for some good laughs when you forget about it and try to pass airport security.

And I think you need a knifemaker, not a beltmaker. Possibly the knifemaker that made the one in the photo?

As a kid I had one of of the Gerber Scrimshaw belt buckle knives. It was cool but after a while it kept coming undone and would show the knife ...

looked like this... 3651015.jpgMore practical than the hidden knife in the belt...

its not that easy, since im looking for something like this

2ustnqs.jpg

wish i could help you bro, but that is some master metal work. you should try a knife forum. there is a bunch of guys that make leather stuff on those forums. I actually have learned a lot of my techniques from lurking those forums.

I like that it has a beer opener on it too... cuts, opens AND holds your pants up...

but not when is it cutting or opening the beer!

you would be the life of the party with that belt. whip off your belt to open a fine womans Newcastle, then your pants fall down exposing your skid marked superman underoos! haha! ( or maybe thats just me:)

I made a shop apron today out of some horsehide scraps. Big pockets come in really handy.

P6290931_2.jpg

Haha.! Sweet.! I wanted to make one for myself too.! Out of the Black Chrome Tanned cow hide that i have laying around. And i would have if not for the fact that i found an indigo chambray one... ;)