Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

Haha! Me too man! They have two names for every color. The browns get even more difficult! Whiskey,oxblood, cigar,......to be honest I don't know if the light brown shell I have is. Whiskey or cigar. Hahaa

I'm an idiot, it's not whisky, it's all #8. I thought #8 was whisky, not versed on the names of this stuff

I'm mesmerized by the construction of these Il Bussetto coin pouches. It looks like the lid snaps down over the pouch, and there is no stitching. How is this even possible??

HI7z9.jpg

ilZ6E.jpg

I just get down in the shop and start sewing things up. I'm pretty good at making something that I'm imagining come together without too much planing or templating. However, sometimes I like to make a miniture when dealing with new constructions. See my little mini mailbag compared to my large one on the page previous for an example of this.

At this point I've made enough bags to really just be able to throw them together in a few hours, since thats what I'm concentrating on mostly. It's a lot to handsew, but I find it to be worth it.

I use a paper grocery bag and scotch tape. But I make small stuff.

Thanks for the insight. I might go with ihbw's route with a pattern of some sort since this'll be the first time making anything substantial from scratch.

^Oh, speaking of patterns, I use good ol' graphing paper. It makes patterning so easy.

do you stitch the bottom of each card holder or do you use the glue to hold it down?

I stitch the top one, yes, but the middle gets left unstitched because it's not tall enough to need it- the bottom of the wallet stops the card with about 1/4" sticking out the top.

I start with a sketch on paper of a design...then build a "virtual wallet" in adobe illustrator then that turns into a pattern. This makes sure before I make a wallet that it will work ...it also makes it easy to fix any flaws in design later on.. After the pattern is "perfect" I cut the pattern onto a material called texon that you can get in shoe maker supply store. its a fiber paper board.

I'm mesmerized by the construction of these Il Bussetto coin pouches. It looks like the lid snaps down over the pouch, and there is no stitching. How is this even possible??

Haha.! Dude, you just asked the very same question i asked myself back then. I totally forgot about this till you mentioned it, so i went and started "investigating". I think i might have gotten it figured out.

01-0013-650x462.jpg

On the front, everything seems smooth and seamless. Making it look like a one piece construction.

ad3fe22fb3f89532f0ba27b69afd9b28.jpg

But when you look at the flesh side, it looks like the joint is made by skiving and gluing. After doing that, you seal the flesh side and it starts to look seamless on the inside.

01-002RS2-650x491.jpg

Look at the brown coin case on the top. The edge shows a seam. Maybe this one wasn't as well made as the others.

i think that shows that the whole coin case is really made out of 3 pieces. 2 wet molded shells, 1 leather tab and 1 base.

First the veg tan is wet molded for 2 shells. If you want the cover to snap close, your mold has to have an undercut. That would be like the Classic Taco Il Bussetto.

Next you cut the base and cut the tab. Dye and finish the tab first because once its glued, you can work on it.

Next you skive the edge and join the base and shell together. The key is to skive the edge till it has almost no thickness towards the end so that the joint cannot be seen after finishing.

Now join the bottom shell and the top shell together by skiving and gluing. seal the flesh side to make it look seamless on the inside.

Now dye and wax finish the outside.

I'm guessing this is how it is done... Never did found the time to do something like this since im still schooling, but i tried skiving and gluing 2 strips of veg tan before and finished ti with dyes and wax. It looked pretty seamless.

Kazeem? Hes a trip man, called me at 7:45 yesterday morning haha. Really great dude, super nice, and he's made quite a little store for himself there. Next time I'm up in Newburyport I'll have to let you know!

Kazeem..that's him. He sure is passionate about his store and it is a trip talking to him. I get up there for business about once a month and always stop by to see what's up. They are progressing nicely with new items added every day. It was so cool to see your wallets & belts for sale there. He was so shocked that I knew of Corter Leather and even more so that I had one of your items in my pocket!

Please do drop me a line one of these days when/if you get up to NBPT. I'd love to grab a cup of coffee. We live downtown and I work from a home office so it's a five min walk to market square for me.

^Love it, hollows.

Thanks for the breakdown, ItsJustNC. It looks like the newer ones have a visible U-shaped seam on the back, but it's still not stitched. Pretty impressive, nonetheless. What kid of glue would be that reliable?

^Love it, hollows.

Thanks for the breakdown, ItsJustNC. It looks like the newer ones have a visible U-shaped seam on the back, but it's still not stitched. Pretty impressive, nonetheless. What kid of glue would be that reliable?

barge contact cement

Ok! Read through the thread and am ready to dabble into crafting some practice goods. Hoping to try out making bags and small accessories after lots of practice.

These are the goods I'm planning on buying from Tandy tomorrow.

Overstitch

Edge Beveler 2

Wood slicker

thread

scrap leather for practice

Lastly, as for the sewing awl, do you guys use a kit such as this one?

Or just plain harness needles as I saw mentioned earlier?

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/?sectionpath=1&pageid=2567

Thanks in advance :)