Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

Interesting. Do they normally have a square cutting edge like that? I would expect a camber on the cutting edge for a blade that wide. Ive never seen them before though, yet alone being used… think I might have a little google search later tonight..

That’s for the info itsjustnc - btw nice work on that pouch/case a page back

Yea, it comes in a few different shapes. The square one you saw is the straight blade. There's a curved blade, which i presume is more for cutting straight lines. And the angled blade for more complex shapes.

You hold it like a dagger. And cut towards your body. Seems to be a very popular choice among the Japanese leather artisans. Kinda like the round head knifes to the westerners.

No problem, just trying to help out. And thanks.! That was my second attempt at making a bag, so I'm sure i would have a lot more to improve on..! Haha

IMG_2187.JPG

IMG_2189.JPG

A passport holder i made awhile back for my brother and his girlfriend.

IMG_2190.JPG

Comes with a SIM card holder if you are staying long enough to get a temporary line.

IMG_2191.JPG

IMG_2192.JPG

Used two different hair-ons. Brindle for the rugged look. Brown and white for the more demure look.

IMG_2188.JPG

My favorite picture. Love the contrast of the smooth burnished edge and the fuzzy hair-on.

Thanks for the video link itsjustnc, interesting tool. Wasn’t expecting it to be used like that, pulled towards you. Don’t think I will be swapping my knife for it any time soon but it’s always interesting to see the tools other people like to use. Thanks again, ciao

So how long will you be taking orders for these?...

for as long as they come in! We hit $25,000 last night, first donation happening today. Here's some from last night. I've been trying to take as many photos as possible, this is something I want to remember for sure!

Tara around 1am addressing, Finn keeping company

5567864077_da6ae50863_z.jpg

Yours truly getting buttons in to press. What looks like a loving kiss was actually "why the hell are you taking pictures of yourself working? I'm hungry, no one wants to see your face."

5567861071_a419e29b52_z.jpg

Gilby relaxing through it all this morning on the radiator cover and freshly hung laundry

5568451212_f35936762b_z.jpg

thanks, they're pretty great. First, Tandy instructional videos

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/home/infoandservices/Leathercraft-Videos/Leathercraft-Videos.aspx

second, the cats- they're basically lap dogs. They play fetch, always want to be on your shoulders, leash train very easily, sleep under the covers, wait for you at the door when you're in the shower, etc. One of mine is very attached to just me, and the other will whore himself out to anyone that will let him rub his face on them. Not a shy cat in the least, or that you can just leave alone, they need attention and like to play. They also don't have whiskers, so they're a bit clumsy and don't really hide under things or in tight spaces all too much.

my friend Tony Luong came over and shot a video last week to document the project I'm doing, and he just shared it!

I think it's really nice, shows my workspace too!

great video and thanks again for all the effort you and your loved once are putting in this...much kudos to you eric!

5571662701_ec9bc5d882_z.jpg

So news stations have started picking up on this. WBZ Boston came by to report on the story today, and I've got a live on-air with Fox News on Friday morning. Ah!

Wow, thats awesome! You might get orders into the summer now.

Still waiting for mine to arrive!

thanks guys!

Mods feel free to delete this section if you feel it inappropriate: thanks to everyone for waiting patiently for the orders (I know a lot of you read this thread). I've got 1000 out in 2 weeks, and I'm working my ass off to get all the bracelets as well as belts, wallets, card holders, etc. made and shipped within two weeks of order. I've generally been getting orders out about 5-9 days after they're placed, and snail mail takes another week or so (longer for abroad).

Again, thanks for all the support guys! I hope you don't mind me sharing the non-leather pics in this thread- feels like home since I got my start here.

So, where does one get a 1.5" granite tile for cheap? I e-mailed some custom kitchen top people and they never got back to me. Would 3 pieces of .5" granite tiles stacked be too fragile?

Im guessing any interior designing company could help you with that. However, for cutting leather, a decent cutting mat would suffice.

Although i haven't tried what you are doing before, i doubt granite tiles stacked together would make a good surface for stamping leather.. I'm guessing that the tiles wouldn't stack perfectly together and there would be gaps in between. So whenever you are stamping, the tiles would prolly move around a lot. And the impression you stamped on the leather wouldn't be as crisp.

This is mostly guess work so... You could try it out.?

IMG_4645.JPG

IMG_4646.JPG

IMG_4648.JPG

Just made me a LEAN MEAN PATINA BUILDING MACHINEEEEEEEEEEEE.

It's a simple passport cover. Made out of 6oz Vegetable Tanned Cow Shell.... Laced together with 1/8" 3oz Vegetable Tanned Cow Leather lace that i made.

Can't wait to see the contrasting patina... Light gradient shades of aging on the smooth shell, but heavy patina on the thick chunky lacing..!

IMG_4640.JPG

IMG_4644.JPG

IMG_4641.JPG

Made my girlfriend a little something before i left the country. Design was her idea...! She thought that the fact that it looks like an envelope was "cute". :rolleyes: And its full of little nifty compartments to organize her stuff.

This is my first attempt at awl work. Turned out pretty decent. And i like the burnishing, every layer literally fused together even at the sharp corners thanks to a little beeswax and a whole load of elbow grease.:D

X-post from SYL.