Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

This would be labor intensive but...

How difficult would it be to bend the rivet? If it was placed in a vice and heated could you bend the tip over? Pardon my shitty illustration.

. _

. |

_|_

This way you could use the rivet as a hook...

sorry for double post..

but shit! looks like Monocle jocked Corter's bracelet project...

from Highsnobiety:

“The bracelet is embossed with “Support Japan†on one side and “Brooklyn Tokyo x Monocle†on the reverse. It has an adjustable button fastening and uses leather from tanneries in the Miyagi region, where the earthquake and tsunami struck. Made in Japan – for Japan.â€

monocle-support-japan-bracelet.jpg

This would be labor intensive but...

How difficult would it be to bend the rivet? If it was placed in a vice and heated could you bend the tip over? Pardon my shitty illustration.

. _

. |

_|_

This way you could use the rivet as a hook...

Try using a boot lace hook secured with a chicago screw or snap, you might get the same results faster.

I think boot lace hooks are really underutilized. Are they too weak to stop from bending in? There are all sorts of cool possible closure devices with hooks, d-rings and punches.

sorry for double post..

but shit! looks like Monocle jocked Corter's bracelet project...

Bracelets are the number one selling charity item. Period. Lots of people do bracelets, there's bound to be a couple that choose to use leather.

We did it- hit $20,000 raised for Japan today! I'm super sick, but on enough meds and orange juice to keep working full speed. Todays orders going to the post office:

5547575363_21640f7fa5_z.jpg

and another friend of mine, Lindsey, using her English degree to address packages faster than anyone else yet. We've started a little competition to keep things interesting, she's in the lead with 62 packages/hr, I'm right behind her with 59.

5548160034_6a3a9cb2bc_z.jpg

you couldn't do solid copper, but copper plating would work. I absolutely love copper and have never been able to find a copper plated snap (I've seen snap hooks and trigger snaps though).

I'd say brass would be the most reasonable bet, or maybe bend up some sort of copper S ring yourself- it is very soft!

Have any of you guys made vinegar black or "vinegaroon"? I just finished making a batch and am amazed at how good it works for producing a deep black.

The color is amazing........the smell of the leather is not.

Unless someone has a secret on how to make your leather not smell like a jar of pickles.....I am all ears :)

Using hollows bag (posted above) as an example, how is that when you stitch two pieces together it can form that edge with the side piece of leather "indented". I'm trying to achieve the same look with a bag I'm preparing to make but I'm not sure how to make that sort of edge.

Edit: I've made a few small wallets in the past, this is the first bag I've made. There are plenty of small details that I made mistakes on but the second round should be a much better effort.

Edit 2: Sorry for the image size, I'm not sure how to resize or make them into thumbnails using photobucket.

DSCF5937.jpg

DSCF5936.jpg

Have any of you guys made vinegar black or "vinegaroon"? I just finished making a batch and am amazed at how good it works for producing a deep black.

This pouch that I made some time ago was dyed using vinegaroon

pouch.jpg

This one has a very slight midnight bluish hue to the black when i took the picture, possibly because I didn't brew it long enough :o

But its pretty pitch black now after more application of my beeswax/neatsfoot oil mix.

The smell actually goes away after a while if done right. Mine now smells more of the beeswax/neatsfoot oil paste! I think soaking the piece in baking soda solution for a while after application of the vinegaroon helps.

@sirkus

I believe you have to sew in a gusset to achieve that look

had to make up a simple card holder amidst the madness yesterday. Figured its better than more bracelet pictures

5556693953_5c13668d8c_z.jpg

We've just hit $23,500 raised! hoping for $25k to donate Monday

Nice and clean as usual Corter. That is a two piece construction right...? And is that machine stitched or hand stitch.?

This pouch that I made some time ago was dyed using vinegaroon

pouch.jpg

This one has a very slight midnight bluish hue to the black when i took the picture, possibly because I didn't brew it long enough :o

But its pretty pitch black now after more application of my beeswax/neatsfoot oil mix.

The smell actually goes away after a while if done right. Mine now smells more of the beeswax/neatsfoot oil paste! I think soaking the piece in baking soda solution for a while after application of the vinegaroon helps.

@sirkus

I believe you have to sew in a gusset to achieve that look

Yes. The baking soda does help a bit, but the smell still sticks around. The good thing is the older your vinegaroon batch, the less it will smell. Also Remember not to soak your leather in the baking soda too long as leather naturally has an acidic ph. I haven't experienced it myself but they say that prolonged soaking will make a more neutral leather which isn't good. How true it is, I don't know but I heed the advice just in case.

thanks mate- hand stitched. I don't do much machine stitching in leather besides the inlay stuff for fun, I keep it hand stitched (much stronger).

It's actually....4 pieces? there's the body, the front pocket under the flap, the snap strap, and another pocket on the back that you can't see. also, line 20 snap size, so it's nice and slim.

re: the vinegaroon and dying true black, I've got a little tip. When using dyes, an undercoat of dark brown or navy before black will give the leather a much truer black appearance in sunlight!

thanks mate- hand stitched. I don't do much machine stitching in leather besides the inlay stuff for fun, I keep it hand stitched (much stronger).

It's actually....4 pieces? there's the body, the front pocket under the flap, the snap strap, and another pocket on the back that you can't see. also, line 20 snap size, so it's nice and slim.

re: the vinegaroon and dying true black, I've got a little tip. When using dyes, an undercoat of dark brown or navy before black will give the leather a much truer black appearance in sunlight!

Ah.. I thought the snap was a single piece with the body...

Wow, nice job saddle stitching Corter. I do a little leathercrafting myself and i was wondering how does one get such nice and clean stitches like yours, Hollows, etc.

For example, what do you guys use to punch the holes..? Diamond fid awl or diamond hole punches..?

Yes. The baking soda does help a bit, but the smell still sticks around. The good thing is the older your vinegaroon batch, the less it will smell. Also Remember not to soak your leather in the baking soda too long as leather naturally has an acidic ph. I haven't experienced it myself but they say that prolonged soaking will make a more neutral leather which isn't good. How true it is, I don't know but I heed the advice just in case.

I think the older your vinegaroon, more of the vinegar would have reacted and hence less smell. And yup 1 or two minutes in baking soda will do.

Actually I often wonder if many of these advices about what is good for the leather and what is not have any real evidence to it. Many a times these kind of information are spread by word, with little or no reference to hard scientific evidence. Very often our best bet is to simply follow what the old timers say and even then, there may not be a consensus on certain stuff.

@tsJustNC

A diamond awl will be the most versatile. Diamond hole punches are more suitable for thinner than thicker leathers

@tsJustNC

A diamond awl will be the most versatile. Diamond hole punches are more suitable for thinner than thicker leathers

Ah... Oh man... I better start practicing my awl skills..! Haha.! :P

I've been pretty reliant on the punches, and sometimes when I'm making a wallet, it goes slightly astray... Was wondering how do some craftsmen get them so damn straight..!

I once got a batch of black-plated snaps that revealed copper after some sanding. This was a happy surprise:

3296214144_477029a5a1.jpg

I'm not sure where I got them, possibly Zack White.

Cute bag and nice buy for the hardware..! I like the nice and chunky construction. However the form seems pretty different from the usual bags... And it doesn't seem to have any handles or straps for mobility. What is it used for..?

IMG_4445.JPG

IMG_4446.JPG

I made something similar before for my girlfriend. Correct me if I'm wrong but that is Oil Tanned right.?