Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

Join the leatherworker.net forum. They have a section devoted to belt crafting. They also have a few tutorials.

There is also a book called Belts Galore by Al Stohlman that will tell you most everything you need to know.

Wow guys. I've seen some really impressive stuff here! Hollows, Zissou, Obbigood and Corter, you guys all impress the hell out of me. I've been leather crafting for the past 5-6 months and the craftsmanship it takes to create what you guys do is unbelievable. I've been lurking for a while, and my account finally got approved so I thought I'd tell you all (the whole thread) how inspiring all the posts here are. Good work, gentlemen!

Great work Scasi! Hollow, the site looks phenomenal!

Didn't know where to ask, but I've been playing with a bit of leather and was wondering how one burnishes edges? I've already smoothed and rounded the edges by hand with the finest sanding drill bit I could find, before finishing it by hand.

I've got some tragacanth because I've read that it's one of the cheaper, more accessible things to use when finishing/burnishing, but am a bit unclear about where to go from here..

Didn't know where to ask, but I've been playing with a bit of leather and was wondering how one burnishes edges? I've already smoothed and rounded the edges by hand with the finest sanding drill bit I could find, before finishing it by hand.

I've got some tragacanth because I've read that it's one of the cheaper, more accessible things to use when finishing/burnishing, but am a bit unclear about where to go from here..

Hi Solix, when you finish it off with the sand paper, use the tragacanth gum with a applicator to run thru the edge (excess leather fiber), you can see that the gum will form the fiber, wait for it to dry.

Use a slicker or any wooden object to slick thru the edge, in a similar momentum front and back. You will see the edge burnish and turn slightly darker due to the friction heat.

From my experience, don't do it when it's too wet, you might get a different tone of shade.

Enjoy trying!

I never use sandpaper, because it raises the grain of the leather too much and I don't like how it ultimately looks. However a lot of people do- I like a nice sharp knife, with a straight cut and a bevel. then I use either water or tragacanth, round them with something wooden or bone (a bone folder or even a sharpie works) for shape, then another round of water/tragacanth and I use heavy canvas to polish. Once I used canvas once I never went back, it works really quickly and gives an amazing result. I finish by sealing em with local organic bee's wax, but you don't have to do that if you don't want.

Thanks guys. Need to spread before getting more rep to ya, Corter.

And yeah, I've read about sandpaper, so I bought some of the fines grit I could. So basically I just run something firm, but smooth across the edge once the gum is dry? I don't think I have anything canvas, but I'll try using some old denim scraps to polish.

I am similar to corter in that I use a sharp beveler, them water/tragacanth. But, I prefer to slick/shape the edges after the tragacanth has been absorbed, but before it is dry. I find that I get a much rounder, smoother edge that way.

Denim scraps are great for polishing if it is dyed leather. I'd be a little carful polishing natural leather with it, though. Usually with natural leather, a little wax and a soft cloth will do.

I was browsing the net late one night and came across a natural leather iphone4 case that was cut out of one piece of leather that folded around and closed with a snap on the back. It was $75 or so. I didn't think to save the link where I found it and now I can't find it again. Did anyone of you craftsman here make that? Or can anyone who knows what I am talking about provide a link to the item?

But more importantly, has anyone here made an iphone case out of natural leather that is relatively slim? If so I would be very much in the market for it (my silicone iphone condom is starting to annoy me).

hey guys, long time no post!

Been busy working at my new job.

It is Awesome, i am blessed to be working under such talented people. and it has been great learning another style of leather working.

plus, it has been great for sourcing hardware, and I just spent WAY TOO MUCH MONEY when the Horween Rep came to our shop. :)

here are some pics as promised.

the work we do is Italian style leather working, and not really what we do on the forum. but i thought everyone would enjoy some pics.

THE SHOP

5447538813_02d5e4a242.jpg

5447539075_a37ee9e7d6.jpg

My Sewing Machine

5448143840_2872203a1a.jpg

here is a cool machine, and electric Skiver. you can thin out the edges of the leather for "turning edges" or for shaping purposes.

5448143698_367b3698e9.jpg

WORKING

5447539381_e32f5e5d1b.jpg

CHILLIN

5447538745_22ce1ebe91.jpg

TheBlackGoat, thats truly awesome. Thanks for sharing those pics. Love all the work I've seen from everyone as well. Learning to work with leather and having a great time. Not a cheap hobby though.

thanks guys!

NO Kidding! Its gets really expensive. I just spent a small fortune on Horween Chromexcel cow and horsehides in a bunch of colors (#8,Black,Brown,and Natural). But I am so Excited to get it! should arrive in about 10 days. cant wait to make some wallets with the stuff.

speaking of chromexcel, does anyone here know of a tutorial on how to burnish and finish the edges of non veg tan leather??? would really like to get a nice finish like how Wild Swans does .

thanks guys!

NO Kidding! Its gets really expensive. I just spent a small fortune on Horween Chromexcel cow and horsehides in a bunch of colors (#8,Black,Brown,and Natural). But I am so Excited to get it! should arrive in about 10 days. cant wait to make some wallets with the stuff.

speaking of chromexcel, does anyone here know of a tutorial on how to burnish and finish the edges of non veg tan leather??? would really like to get a nice finish like how Wild Swans does .

I believe non veg tan (chrome tanned) leather cannot be burnished. The edges are typically skived and then folded in. Why not check with your colleagues? You don't look like their only craftsman.

By the way I am curious as to how the shop works. Do you come up with the designs from scratch? Do the craftsmen work individually?

I believe non veg tan (chrome tanned) leather cannot be burnished. The edges are typically skived and then folded in. Why not check with your colleagues? You don't look like their only craftsman.

By the way I am curious as to how the shop works. Do you come up with the designs from scratch? Do the craftsmen work individually?

I turn edges all day at my job. I am aware of the technique ;)

everyone at my work says to use edge kote. but, that stuff always looks cheap and tacky. there must be a way.

we take drawings and sketches from designers and turn them into prototypes and create the working patterns. we also do small boutique high end hand bags and leather goods.

I have a question for you experienced leatherworkers. I'm about to make an order for some hide. I plan on making more belts and attempt my first wallets etc. I've only worked with regular veg tanned tooling leather. Would you suggest English bridle for the belts? Not sure either what kind of leather to get for the wallets but know they have to be 3oz.

Made this over the weekend, for left-handed pocketing:

5451215275_519bed79e2_z.jpg

Bash, bridle is nice for belts, it's dense and doesn't stretch much. Veg tan will serve you well for wallets, if you're not planning to make a ton of stuff you could try to get a bend, that's a nice cut that isn't overly large.

BG, I know what you mean about burnishing chromexel, and I also hate edge kote. Beeswax seems to work ok, but I've never been able to get the same kind of edge as veg tan. Perhaps with machinery it's possible?

Made this over the weekend, for left-handed pocketing:

5451215275_519bed79e2_z.jpg

Bash, bridle is nice for belts, it's dense and doesn't stretch much. Veg tan will serve you well for wallets, if you're not planning to make a ton of stuff you could try to get a bend, that's a nice cut that isn't overly large.

BG, I know what you mean about burnishing chromexel, and I also hate edge kote. Beeswax seems to work ok, but I've never been able to get the same kind of edge as veg tan. Perhaps with machinery it's possible?

Thank you for the help hollow! For the wallets would you suggest veg tan skirting or just good old veg tan tooling/carving leather? Beautiful wallet by the way!

the only way Ive gotten a decent edge on chrome tanned leather is by using saddle soap. Apply it like you would water or tragicinth on veg leather, rub with canvas. you need a bar of the translucent orange stuff, you can usually find it at any hardware store. Im pretty sure you can never get an edge as nice as you can on veg though.

the only way Ive gotten a decent edge on chrome tanned leather is by using saddle soap. Apply it like you would water or tragicinth on veg leather, rub with canvas. you need a bar of the translucent orange stuff, you can usually find it at any hardware store. Im pretty sure you can never get an edge as nice as you can on veg though.

Thanks, I use saddle soap to burnish my veg tan. Then rub with slicker, then wax, , then a coat of resoline. Its quite the process. But I like the result.

I guess I am going to have to experiment a bit.