Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

I made myself a new travel toolbox this weekend, finished it yesterday. I used to build relic guitars when I had space (not in the city!) so it was nice to be able to use some of those techniques again. Like most others, I'm not really one for distressed stuff, but this one was fun to make!

Before ($1 thrifted heavy gauge metal box)

5346435049_8607372ac8_z.jpg

after (sprayed, baked, lettered, distressed, stained, chipped, handle'd) I wanted to make it look like something a guy made really quickly in his garage in between work shifts, hence the drips and not-so-perfect lettering. most important, now I don't have to carry my tools in a little drawstring bag when I travel

5347047520_d8b1556f26_z.jpg

5347047128_4fa1de245a_z.jpg

be careful though, just make sure you've got an awl that's meant to be hammered. I hammered one once and in two strikes it just snapped.

Do you use some leather and strop the blade correctly? that helps a ton (I don't sew like this, but I know that's a big thing). Your awl might just need sharpening too.

Hollows- pearly snaps are awesome! super western looking with that pocket curve- the perfect amount of western.

Sorry to post all the questions, but I'm having trouble getting through the leather with my awl. I don't think I'm really weak... Are the awls from Tandy dull?

Tandy awls suck. Is it the diamond awl? They are too fat and super dull. You should be able to push through the leather with ease. Force is bad. Hammer? Crazy.

Look at how easy this guys tools work. Single passes for cutting. His awl in video part 4 around 5min mark. Needs a little help but it is going though a lot of leather.

6LsE4nsEOJk

Scasi, That wallet is nice.

I just bought 40 bucks worth of solid brass hardware (trigger clasps, Snap rings, etc) and now can not find any solid brass chain to make a chain for my wallet. I can not believe how impossible it has been to find some solid brass chain.

I just bought 40 bucks worth of solid brass hardware (trigger clasps, Snap rings, etc) and now can not find any solid brass chain to make a chain for my wallet. I can not believe how impossible it has been to find some solid brass chain.

Try this guy: http://cgi.ebay.com/20-inches-TRUCKERS-BRASS-WALLET-CHAIN-MC-Rockabilly-/220720391204?pt=Wallet&hash=item3363f5e424 Pricey, but he has them.

I have ordered a lot of stuff From Sumi. Hes a good guy(and is on SuFu). I just dont want to pay 67 bucks for one when I have all the fittings. I have all the brass clasps and fish hooks.... Thanks for trying Ray :)

I have ordered a lot of stuff From Sumi. Hes a good guy(and is on SuFu). I just dont want to pay 67 bucks for one when I have all the fittings. I have all the brass clasps and fish hooks.... Thanks for trying Ray :)

Yeah I've always had great success buying from him (good stuff and usually arrives quickly), but good to know that he's on SuFu too! If I see one cheaper I'll give you a heads up.

thanks!

Yep, having hard time to find those too, i have limited of them, max of 3m balance from a gardening stores.

I recently had the pleasure of doing my first project with Horween leather.

It's exactly as nice as it's reputation would lead you to believe.[/img]

Agreed. It makes natural veg tan feel like cardboard. It's so hard going back!

yep, i have that and a few other books from japan. they're good....if you can read japanese. I can't, but they document every little step of their processes in pictures, so it's still pretty cool. if anyone wants it or the others I have pm me, I'd gladly sell them for less than new