Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

I've been reading through this whole thread over the last couple days/week, and I'd like to start doing a little leather work. Is this something you could do in a very small living space? What would you guys recommend to start with? Are the Tandy kits adequate? For tooling what are the pillar tools that everyone needs? If you were going to start over again what do you wish you knew when you started?

Most of this has been covered, but I just want more opinions if possible :) Thanks.

just read this, and yes- you can absolutely start in a small space! for the first couple years, I worked in my college apartment bedroom, which measured 9'x9'. did work, final two years of college, everything- tools don't take up that much room.

3009275470_d828d1087f_z.jpg?zz=1

Nice stuff all around, here's some newer stuff I've recently completed:

3 oz veg tan canvas lined messenger bags:

5261264407_823b33cb2f_z.jpg

5261873186_a4a413c114.jpg

5261861774_531a06ac53.jpg

Ive usually been using heavier leathers for bags, but the 3 oz is actually really nice. It drapes really nice and is far easier to sew on a machine.

Ladies long wallet style I've been working on, hand dyed 4 oz leather outside, 3 oz inside:

5261268091_988a0b62bb.jpg

5261877292_9f244e6f37.jpg

Lastly, a knife roll I made for a chef friend of mine using oily chrome tanned leather outside, canvas inside with lots of copper rivets and 10 oz veg tan strap:

5221238188_34a7e6ef04.jpg

5221241218_7e6da9ba40.jpg

Hope you enjoy!

it's just cowhide. There are two different colors of dye used, a dark brown for the outside, which is actually some scrap I had. The inside is a combination of several red and brown dyes that I tried to match the outside color with, but didn't quite. I actually like the way it turned out with the different colors, close but adds a little contrast.

I actually have been thinking about purchasing some veg tan goat, the stuff I was looking at is 2oz, would be cool for detail and lining for sure.

Thanks for the kind words!

As usual, I love how everyone's work is so personal. It's always exciting to see people explore their styles. Thank you for posting.

The only advice that I can give to be people starting leatherwork is probably the most important:

Be patient! When you start, you'll realize a lot of the skills, like cutting and sewing, take time to learn to do well. Practice and keep your knife sharp.

Front / Back

hip_bag_front.jpg

hip_bag_back.jpg

^ Hehe, I'm going to start braiding Kangaroo next month!

Got a local tannery that is willing to do small orders on roo lace :)

Eventually I would like to be able to braid a whip or a belt...

Going to start small though, key clips and wallet reins first.

Really nice wallets, Hollows.

I made a narrow belt today. The first one goes to my daughter for Christmas.

narrowbeltsm.jpg

So many presents to make...

cc01multism.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

first attempt at making a wallet. I wanted to try and make something similar to a wallet corter posted a couple pages back... i need to work on my stitching, as well as pace myself. i completed it in an hour out of sheer excitement haha!

IMG_9137.jpg

IMG_9139.jpg

also braided up some wallet reigns using deerskin lace

193551578.jpg

193676102.jpg

and a small turks head key fob

193872962.jpg

Nice reins diamond. Where did you get the hooks from?

my very first leather project, a simple bracelet

Bracelet1resized.png

Just finished my first belt today, holes not punched yet though (thanks zissou for the strap!)

Oiled and tanned once, which explains the darker color

IMGP7579resized.png

edgecloseup4resized.png

The leather was pretty heavy, about 12-13oz so I skived the buckle area for better functionality. Did not have a skiving tool so had to improvise with a utility knife. Nightmarish experience :(

skivedbucklearearesized.png

Botched up a few times on the stitching. Poked the awl from the wrong side and messed up quite a bit on the groover. In the end I doubled the stitching cause I didn't have a thicker thread and also to cover up my first untidy stitching attempt :o

stitching2resized.png

Overall experience was fun. Looking forward to making my first wallet!

Hey,

Happy new year everyone, been following the thread quite closely since my last post and the work some of you guys have posted has been as inspiring as ever (+ making me feel a little lazy).

Anyway I got quite embarrassed over the Christmas holidays meeting people and not having anything I’ve made on me to show so I decided make myself a pared down bifold out of some soft 1mm calf that I had around and a strip of goat. Its not fully finished as I haven’t summoned up the bollocks to burnish the edges yet but I’ve been carrying it around for the last few days and it suits my needs and taste fairly well. The handstitching is at 9spi this time using linen thread and whilst I’ve got no real interest of getting into the wallet game it’s been an interesting project.

wallet1.jpg

wallet2.jpg

wallet3.jpg

Keep up the good work, ciao