Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

Thanks! I'm the same mate, I like thinner wallets. The problem is, I love the hand of a 4 or 5oz leather, and it ages more like a saddle than a 3oz (which tends to get softer and feel like garment leather). I'm after a simple wallet with a surplus of features, but it's involved taking away layers to get it to this point. I'm sure it'll change a lot more before it's finished, but I'm psyched on where it's going.

I orderd the ez to do leather craft kit from tandy because it was on sale for 15. I couldnt pass it up, because i've been interested in leather craft for a while. Well I made everything in the kit already and i want to try making my own stuff. Where is a good website to order only a few yards of a nice veg tanned leather. Also what type of leather would i want to order to make wallets mainly. Or, could i buy some off of someone here?

Would you sell/trade for a few? I'd love some with anchors for personal projects, they're so great!

maybe,

I've got a few projects myself I've been thinking of using them for.. but will let you know...

I've been inspired by the phone cases I've seen here lately, so I built one for myself. I really don't like any of the leathers that Tandy sells other than their tooling calf and pig linings. That's what I made this from, and here's what it looks like after dunked in mink's oil and rubbed with Montana Pitch Blend:

iphonecase.jpg

I usually always send people to Rob at Tandy Leather in Chelmsford when they're starting out. He's super careful with the hides, the store is insanely clean (rare for a Tandy) and he does a lot out of his own pocket to make sure every hide he has stays perfect until you buy it. I buy from a lot of different places for all different weights, but he's my favorite dude to deal with and offers a consistent product. He's also super nice and will walk you through anything you want to learn at the drop of a hat. I'd go with a 4/5oz if you want indestructible, 3/4oz if you want a bit thinner wallet and plan on using lots of layers.