Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

thanks a ton guys, for both the link and the congrats. don't know how much I can write here, but things are looking good with Gilby.

Heres something I've been working on designing for quite some time. It's an all-in-one sort of thing, I guess you would call it a workstation sleeve. It's very slim on it's own, and even loaded. Holds a 13" macbook pro, magic mouse, a couple pens and a small notebook, as well as a larger (but slim) notebook in the main compartment. It folds out to provide a laptop mat, a writing pad, and a mousepad all in one.

4857848961_0bb46db5bc.jpg

4857848479_3a8a5e17e7.jpg

4858469610_e413dd93b8.jpg

larger version here: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4140/4858469974_8168edff7a_b.jpg

^very cool, corter. I'm glad to hear your cat is doing better.

I've been making a lot of natural belts with the quick release buckle lately.

natqr.jpg

Oh, and there seems to be very little difference in color between a new keyhook in British tan and one in aged natural leather. This was the first one I made, and am thinking of starting over with a new one. Even the brass hardware has aged well, although it's hard to tell in the photo.

keyhooks.jpg

Thanks! Your work looks great man! the stitching is really nice. What are you using for belt strapping?

My problem is that I can't get behind those quick release buckles. I've only held two, and they seemed super light weight and flimsy, so I just refused to buy more. Have you had any long term experience? how have they held up?

Thanks, man. I use standard 8/9 veg-tanned cowhide, and I cut the straps myself. It softens up nicely once I treat it. I know what you mean about them feeling lightweight, but I've used one on my own belt for over a year now and haven't had a single problem. It would be great to find some solid brass ones, but I haven't had any luck...

Made a new wallet today to match my Clint Eastwood belt. I've been wearing this belt more lately, and it's been ages since I made anything for myself!

4864208878_fa8f2952f1_z.jpg

I actually did a full-on step-by-step photo documentation of my process for making this wallet. I'm going to post it as a guide in case any eager leather workers can learn something from how I work, but I'm going to be on a road trip/camping trip for the next few weeks, so it will have to wait until I get back.

So i've been working on making a wallet, and damn. it's tough. I thought i was sooo close, but it seems i've made the card portion too tight or something. I'll throw up pictures later, but it looks like i'm back to the drawing board.

So i've been working on making a wallet, and damn. it's tough. I thought i was sooo close, but it seems i've made the card portion too tight or something. I'll throw up pictures later, but it looks like i'm back to the drawing board.

..spread the love ashkaun, let me make something with your shit.. :D

here's a little something i made tonight. it was my first time ever stitching, using an awl, etc. this really came about by accident, but i kinda like it! hahaha.

the tools

4884688060_a94793e8f2.jpg

the holder: view 1

4885335493_28f7c09b06.jpg

the holder: view 2

4885938074_baa4c2ca53.jpg

edit: i have a quick question too. what is the best way to tie off a stitch?

i understand all of the except the "hit them with some wax." i believe they are waxed thread, and just don't generally get what you mean by that statement. sorry for asking what might be silly questions, but thank you for answering!

here's another cardholder i made last night after posting the first one. i could squeeze about 20 cards into it.

4885301277_4cdd04fc0e.jpg

4885301397_b3c1bf7887.jpg

4885904254_15e426bc06.jpg

4885904336_21cdd0d30c.jpg

Here's a repro of a leather postal bag I did this week. It's pretty big, about 16" x 12" x 5". I used about 10 sq. feet of leather and a whole bunch of rivets, and it took me about 2 full days to make (22-24 hours, didn't keep perfect time). Inside I did a pouch, and on one side an adjustable strap for a thermos. Definitely the largest thing I've made

4886576812_f3273e18a7_z.jpg

4886584134_86c9f7281c_z.jpg

4886924338_3578a6b4ea_z.jpg

take a chunk of beeswax and rub it against the thread that you just cut flush to the piece. It helps to keep the thread from pulling out. You can also you use the chunk of wax to make your own waxed thread by running the thread against it.

saddle stitch. two needles one thread. thread length required is 4 times the length of the desired stitch.

WOAH

20 cards? or was that just a test?

Nice first project btw. I have no idea how leather stitching works, does that rolly thing (is that the awl?) make holes for the thread/stitch?

yeah, i mean 20 was reeeaaaallly pushing it. as in, after about 15 they were going in one at a time. haha.

thank you! it's similar to regular stitching i suppose (never done either before this project). the awl is actually the thing with the thread coming out. i got a combo awl/stitcher thing, and the little wheel thing is what i use to create a straight line for the holes. it creates little indents for me to turn into holes.

OGL wallet and belt. wallet is at 3 weeks and belt 6 months (3 months worn)!

Amazing! Just 3 weeks and the wallet becomes so dark and indigo stained, TF!

Should have posted at the Leather Evolution thread :)

Anyway, my leathers and hand-stitchings will definitely last, even how hard you beat it.

I really love how you have got the edges stained with indigo in the 2nd pic, keep them coming, my friend :)

Saw some bi-folds by my friends here, and was inspired to do likewise :)

Just a simple gentleman's wallet, card slots, top down bill slots, with black threads and burnished edges.

Oh...and initials stamping, just for fun :)

1-5.jpg

3-5.jpg

5-3.jpg

@obbigood what weight of leather do you use for your wallets usually?

would rep, but you're too good, so i gotta wait.

Thanks!

There are many good leathercrafters here too :)

There is no exact standard of wat weight to use for wallet making. It depends on wat the crafter wants. When you want thicker wallets, or thicker leathers looks better, then use it and vice versa for thin leathers.

For me, personally, I'd use a variety of leathers for prototypes, 2/3oz - 7/8oz. For orders, it really depends.

Amazing! Just 3 weeks and the wallet becomes so dark and indigo stained, TF!

Should have posted at the Leather Evolution thread :)

Anyway, my leathers and hand-stitchings will definitely last, even how hard you beat it.

I really love how you have got the edges stained with indigo in the 2nd pic, keep them coming, my friend :)

Thx mate...

Well i've actually searched for the thread but couldn't find it so i've decided to post here. Maybe i'll xpost there as well...

Yeah i hope so, that everything will last. Only "week spot" is the hook which is detected to the wallet. Will do some pics during the week so you know what i mean...