Recommendations for well designed and moderately priced HOTELS in NYC

edwin

nigga

there are like 50 other threads about nyc hotels

quoted for truth.

im not really one to use the USE THE SEARCH BUTTON line, but in this case, if you had used it, you would have found a wealth of ideas.

Just some thoughts...

the search feature doesnt work on my firefox and/or safari on my computer so i have to go through google.com and type "nyc hotel superfuture" in the google search box.

thanks for the great help though.

the search query should be

whatever you are looking for site:supertalk.superfuture.com

that'll restrict the domain

http://www.tripadvisor.com

when hotel prices are rape and "name your price" on priceline gives you shitty ass results, i always consult tripadvisor.

i found some budget hotels from that site. there are some ok hotels under 100. the catch here is that you gotta use a shared bathroom.

pod hotel is always a safe bet.

it sucks that i have like no friends in nyc (intarnet friendz don't count)

• 7 months later...

bumping this for any ideas. I know there are other topics on nyc accomodations but many threads are outdated, especially price wise.

looking for a nice but reasonably priced hotel in the city. and by reasonable I don't mean $50 a night but I can't pay $700 either which seems to be the popular price for any hip hotels right now. I remember staying at 60 thompson for something like $300 a few years ago which I thought wasn't cheap but ok for a new, modern and well located place. now their prices are from $700 up and I can imagine the hotel only aging since then..

so, any interesting places around the $300 range? so far I have the euro on my side so I'm willing to fork that out.. I've been eyeing tripadvisor but so far nothing that interesting in a mid price level.

probably get flamed to shit for saying this but my 2 cents:

i actually like the W hotels. i've stayed in a whole bunch of boutique hotels in nyc and the 300$ price range and honestly, the grass isn't greener on the other side. i like their bliss products but more importantly, they have great deals on the website. you can book like 1 week in advance and they still give you "buy 2 get 1 free" deals. perfect for a weekend, as it comes out alot cheaper. secondly, if you're spending time in manhattan, the W in union square has great metro stops. The one off of 3rd Avenue and 50 is close to good food (and Urban Centre books and Barneys)

starwood points are also awesome to rack up. if i'm ever in the city with the girlfriend i'd just stay there honestly, just rock solid and doesn't tend to fail, though it doens't provide anything fresh.

I'm going there in October and freaking holiday inns in Manhattan are like 300/night. Better stuff doesn't even start till $450-500/night. Which is a rape.

So i found this boutique hotel in long island, it's right over the queensboro bridge from manhattan. Its got a pretty nice view of manhattan from the rooftop and from the top rooms. Only 300/night. Called Ravel. The only other problem beside it being not on the island is that it's kind of in a ghetto. So i hope i don't get shot there.. Otherwise looks like a killer deal.. I'll report if i come back in one piece :)

And my friend is an operations person for one of the hotels in manhattan, she told me fall is the worst time when it comes to hotel prices in NYC.. Real busy..

I dont know if I'm travelling at a really bad time (mid oct), reserving too early or too late or what, but even the W at Union Sq seems to be $500+, just like all other similar hotels :confused:

i don't know what's going on in September, but when i booked the weekend of July 4th things worked out pretty well. come to think of it, whenever i book W i tend to do it when ppl are going home etc so that might be it. did you check the starwood official website?

oh W union sq is also just a stone's throw from ippudo and st marks for food :D

Dude just stay in a hostel, are you there for the hotel or the city. The city has much more to offer, btw.

But the HI building on Amsterdam is huge and fucking scary at night. Try something near Chelsea. A couple years ago, parking cost me more than the stay at the Chelsea Star a block from the Garden.

Staying in NYC sucks, I'm glad I have a pretty close friend who has a penthouse uptown but I can only stay there when she's there which sucks.

i don't know what's going on in September, but when i booked the weekend of July 4th things worked out pretty well. come to think of it, whenever i book W i tend to do it when ppl are going home etc so that might be it. did you check the starwood official website?

oh W union sq is also just a stone's throw from ippudo and st marks for food :D

yea checked out their site. I think this is probably a busy time judging by all the prices and what the guy above you said.

I found out Morgans is being renovated and will be opened soon, yesterday in the day time their prices were at the $350 level and I was about the reserve a room, but a few hours later their website was reopened and the prices were instantly doubled. nice.

Dude just stay in a hostel, are you there for the hotel or the city. The city has much more to offer, btw.

the topic is about hotels, theres another one for hostels though.

seven hundred seems really high to me-- what's the weekend?

stuff like the bowery and the astoria are normally 550ish a night; I imagine you should be able to do a bit better.

when's the standard open in nyc? or is it already open?

i've never stayed at grace but have heard it's aight, I think its low 400s.

mike, i usually just go on tablethotels.com and check out the hotels for my days of stay from cheapest to most expensive in my price range. tablet recommends a lot of nice boutique hotels. the last time i was in nyc, i stayed at the duane street hotel. it's located in tribeca which is a nice area with some good restaurants, and close to soho. the rooms itself are small, but mostly all the rooms in the $400 a night range will be relatively small since it's nyc. if you're looking for a midtown location, the bryant park hotel is real nice. the location is very central and tablet gave me a free upgrade to their suites last time i was there. gild hall is decent as well, located down by the piers, but they're undergoing construction in their restaurant so you might want to steer clear atleast for the time being. it's a thompson hotel, and since you've stayed at 60 thompson, it'll have the same kind of feel.

try to avoid booking directly on the hotel's websites, i've found that to be way more expensive than going through tablethotels.

yea I always have a look at tablet as they have pretty nice places, I hardly ever book directly unless the hotel has some good offers.

anyhoo, found a decent deal for morgans, under $400 vs $650-700 which is their usual price.

edit: scratch that, didn't reserve it right away and overnight they opened a new website, prices went to 600+.

ended up staying at Soho Grand, got a good price on hotels.com. nice place, well located. wouldn't pay full price but I'm guessing a good price is fairly easy to find.

• 2 months later...

the pod hotel seems cool and decently priced. didn't stay there though

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo7.jpg

photo8.jpg

We do have the room you requested available, and the rate is $125 + tax =

$145.22 per night. Please let us know as soon as possible if you would like

to book the room. Thank you.

CA

Regards,

The Pod Hotel

230 E 51st Street

New York, NY 10022

212-355-0300

that pricing is from february for a end of march 08 trip. i dont remember if the rate is per person or per room.

i stayed at a bed and breakfast in bed stuy, brooklyn area for like, 100 bucks a night (50 bucks a person). it was a ghetto neighborhood but we cabbed everywhere.

I'm currently staying at the 60 thompson and it's the best hotel experience i've had so far in my USA holiday. Granted this is the most expensive place we've lodged in, the location and service makes it great value especially on the cheaper than normal rates atm. I heard the rates are normally 700usd a night but we've got a double bed for $250 a night.

thats cheap for sure. I stayed there a few years ago before prices had skyrocketed, I think list prices back then were 400-500 and I paid 250, so roughly the same as you.

does it seem like they've done any refurbishing? I recall some parts of the hotel being a bit washed out when I was there, obviously not in bad shape, but some mild signs of wear here and there.

Doesn't look like it. Everything looks clean and modern on the interior and exterior. The rooms are nice and the little goodies that come with such as kiehl's shampoo/conditioner/hand moisturiser took me by surprise. Also the clothes that i throw on the couch are neatly folded when we come back. I have a feeling it'd be hard to find another hotel that offers exceptional service and nice amenities at this decent price for nyc standards.