Lightning Magazine Thread

Chicken

i have ordered many times from amazon japan, the average shipping price for a magazine is around 3200yen, its not too bad when you ordered multiple different magazines at one time, cause the cost on them is only 980yen so under $10USD, just gotta make it worth your while and order a couple different in the same order.

Exactly and from the entries on this thread I don't think anybody would have a hard time coming up with a bunch of Lightning issues they want.

Would Free and Easy magazine be of interest to someone who liked Lightning?

Just picked these up for the excellent price of AU$74 total (about $48 for all you Americanos) in store - God bless Kinokuniya!

img2205ig5.jpg

I'm happy to proxy any of the lightning magazines. People in the US/EU can prob get em cheaper through Self Edge/Superdenim but if you're outside Sydney and want a copy for the shelf price here + shipping then let me know.

• 3 weeks later...

the new Lighting magazine has an extra 5-pocket jeans edition with, I believe, an overview of all Jeans brands (similar as in the indigo master edition)

Apparently Pherrows also has a new arc design which I like a lot (although looks like infringement on Levis arcs)

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I'm one of the few people old enough to realize this but has anyone else noticed Lightning covers quite often feature a guy that looks just like Hunts Hall the actor who played Satch in the Bowery Boys movie serials (aka The Dead End Kids). If you haven't seen them they're the movies are a lot of fun. Set in the 30's I think and deal with a group of teenagers from the NYC bowery dealing with gangsters usually. Great stuff. It's amazing what good taste Japan has in picking up on our classic pop culture.

Here's an example:

51Um%2BBdcJXL._SS500_.jpg

Here's the Bowery Boys. Hunts "satch" Hall is on the right end.

bowery+boys.jpg

• 4 months later...
For any Australian sufu'ers out there; Kinokuniya at TGV, Sydney has two volumes of Lightning Magazine in store, and multiple copies of each, in the Japanese magazine section. One is the Denim Indigo Master Vol 47 that is an instant classic, and the other is Denim Style Book 2 Vol 28. They both retail for ~AU$20.

I virtually live in Kinokuniya so I'd be happy to proxy these for people for the cost of the book, postage and legwork.

You're a champion. I just grabbed the last copy of denim indigo master. Couldn't believe they still had one.

They have multiple copies of the white cover Denim Book. I don't think it's the denim style book. They are all sealed so I can't look inside. Can anyone shed some light on what's in it?

• 2 weeks later...

I've wanted the C fold version (normal wallet size) of that wallet for two years, my wife thinks it looks insane.

I just envision the way it'd fade your pocket from the imprint...

I've wanted the C fold version (normal wallet size) of that wallet for two years

Those croc wallets really are crazy.

P8083010.jpg

Prices are determined by the part of the croc skin used, particularly any special or distinguishing features of the croc skin such as this 'crown'.

P8083011.jpg

insane pocket fades

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

^yup I'm hyped just waiting for kiya to get stock (January 11 I believe?)...posted some videos from the Lightning event a few days back showcasing a bunch of grail worthy jeans in the "All about jeans videos" thread...Forgot to x-post here...

EDIT: X-post

New videos from the Lightning Denim Buyer's Guide Release Event party...pretty ridiculous seeing all that nice denim side to side in all the videos...There's stuff from every brand we rave about as well as some that don't get as much attention...A must watch IMO...

The actual buyers guide flip through:

A look at jeans from all brands...of particular interest is a new model by Dubbleworks! As well as Fullcounts worn by the boss himself, and a look at faded purple PBJ's:

Billiken Man makes an appearance, a bunch of Samurai's, and more round up this vid:

More stuff from the Lightning Denim Buyers Guide event...Gleem, Warehouse/Duckdiggers, Evisu No.1 at 5 years and more! Check out those Flatheads (also one year and six months)... :o Many of the pairs they show in this series are grail worthy... He jokes about the Gleem's taking a year and six months as compared to the 5 year Evisu's and 3 year Tedman's...

• 3 weeks later...

in case this was not posted, there is a new source for lightning and free & easy (located in germany - free shipping for us) shipping internationally.

they seem to focus on the regular issues only and it is possible to get a subscription - as we just ordered that for free & easy for burg & schild in berlin.

here is the link, they also specialize in photography, fashion, urban art, typography, illustration, architecture, motion design, papercraft and graphic design mags and books:

http://www.sodabooks.com/

why is there a lightning thread, but no free & easy thread at sufu?