my new love, shrink to fits three weeks...these arent sweaty i promise

M.O.A

^^^yeah, i realize that im not gonna get that great of contrast like i am on my apc;s but i still like the way the rigid denim feels.....

eastcoast.....i didnt soak em, i just wore em right away, almost everyday or every other day and this is how they look. i love em

F**K HYPE

solecollector.com

getlifted.net

overstand.net

Quote: are there any other raw versions that arent the 501? maybe something like the 527's? i'm looking for something raw but straight/bootcut but with the cheaper price tag.

http://www4.jcpenney.com/jcp/Products.aspx?DeptID=469&CatID=28700&GrpTyp=CLR&ItemID=0c0a885

Rigid 517's. I would assume those are shrink to fit as well.

NyM...

Quote:
Quote: are there any other raw versions that arent the 501? maybe something like the 527's? i'm looking for something raw but straight/bootcut but with the cheaper price tag.

http://www4.jcpenney.com/jcp/Products.aspx?DeptID=469&CatID=28700&GrpTyp=CLR&ItemID=0c0a885

Rigid 517's. I would assume those are shrink to fit as well.

--- Original message by eastcoastrider27 on Aug 30, 2005 10:24 PM

awesome, thanks!

is there an easy way to tell if they are "raw/untreated" besides just looking at them? im pretty new to levi's (never really looked that closely to all the different types :o) and just wanted something to i guess practice on before getting something more expensive

Quote: is there an easy way to tell if they are "raw/untreated" besides just looking at them? im pretty new to levi's (never really looked that closely to all the different types :o) and just wanted something to i guess practice on before getting something more expensive

Well, if you are able to see them in person (at a store or something), you'll notice the denim is noticeably stiffer and rigid (hence the name).

Levi's calls there unwashed denim "rigid", so if you see any Levi's jeans that are labeled as rigid, then they are unwashed.

Aside from these 517's and the STF 501's, I don't know of any other rigid Levi's (from their regular collection).

NyM...

Quote: skinners?

Good call. I'm not into bootcut jeans at all, so I wasn't really thinking about those. Plus it's late, and my brain isn't functioning so well.

There are also a pair of "premium" 501's that are labeled as "raw" on their website. Not sure if these are unwashed or not, or if they just called them raw to distinguish them from the rigid 501's with the pattern on the inside.

If the raw 501's are indeed unwashed, I wonder what makes them so premium compared to STF's. Selvage?

NyM...

Quote:
Quote: is there an easy way to tell if they are "raw/untreated" besides just looking at them? im pretty new to levi's (never really looked that closely to all the different types :o) and just wanted something to i guess practice on before getting something more expensive

Well, if you are able to see them in person (at a store or something), you'll notice the denim is noticeably stiffer and rigid (hence the name).

Levi's calls there unwashed denim "rigid", so if you see any Levi's jeans that are labeled as rigid, then they are unwashed.

Aside from these 517's and the STF 501's, I don't know of any other rigid Levi's (from their regular collection).

--- Original message by eastcoastrider27 on Aug 30, 2005 10:52 PM

505s also come rigid. I only saw one pair at my local jcpenney with older tags though.

Quote:

rigid 517's and 505's are sanforized (not shrink-to-fit)

--- Original message by rhythmandsound on Aug 31, 2005 04:39 AM

Really? That makes the 517s a lot more tempting. I think I may pick a pair up next time I'm in the city. I need a cheap pair of beaters for a two month trip I'm taking to Africa, might as well break in a pair of raw Levi's while I'm there.

I'm poor, so I'm not going to be able to start breaking in a pair of expensive jeans while I am there, and I want to be able to not care at all about them. If I never wear them again after I get back, that will be alright. I'm going in their fall/winter, in Namibia, which is near the bottom, so it's not as hot as the equatorial regions.

I'll be bringing linen pants and shorts as well.

Quote:

rigid 517's and 505's are sanforized (not shrink-to-fit)

--- Original message by rhythmandsound on Aug 31, 2005 04:39 AM

are the skinners sanforized?

i want to stay away a little bit from the shrink to fits so it sounds like its between the rigid 517's which are super cheap and the rigid skinners which are low-rise but significantly more expensive....

I understand that you can either soak and shrink STF's prior to wearing or just wear them right out the box for an extended period of time before washing (if ever).

For those of you that wear them right out the box do you still buy them larger than your size or do you buy them in a fitting size?

I'm assuming that if you were to not wash or dry clean only you would buy your regular size but if you were to pre-soak or eventually wash at some point in the future then you would buy them larger to allow for shinkage?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Jo3 B, those Levi's that belong to Serge aren't the $30 STF type. I made the same mistake myself.

Quote: For those of you that wear them right out the box do you still buy them larger than your size or do you buy them in a fitting size?

I'm assuming that if you were to not wash or dry clean only you would buy your regular size but if you were to pre-soak or eventually wash at some point in the future then you would buy them larger to allow for shinkage?

I bought a size bigger in my waist, and soaked them for 20 minutes before I wore mine. They have since stretched out an additional inch in the waist. I'm assuming they will shrink down again after a real wash/dry, because I'm sure the 20 minute soak didn't account for all shrinkage.

If you plan on never washing the STF's, I would buy your true size, perhaps even a size smaller in the waist to account for stretching.

If you do plan on washing the STF, buy your true size or a size bigger in the waist.

NyM...