Your favourite dress shirts?

homi29

I'm lookin for some clean, well fitting durable dress shirts.

Really im looking for good material/fit. Really looking for solid colors right now as stripes are so played and i have enough of those as is.

Anyknow wanna share some knowledge on good dress shirt brands?

I like Brooks Brothers for my work day shirts. Very conservative but good quality for the money. Also Zegna (yes more pricey) but I like them. For more dressy, Costume National. Good solids, plus they due unusual hues and colors (earth tones) and slightly off primary colored shirts. Recently, I've been really feeling the new Prada collection, bringing back the slim blue suit with usual oranges, reds, purples, and green tones for the dress shirts. I too am fed up with the "stripey". It seems to be the unofficial club uniform for all white males 18-40.

banana republic?

it's funny, i hear a lot of people talk about wearing "fitteds" and wanting a shirt w/ "a nice fit".

i guess i am just lucky or something - not one, but both of my grandmothers are actually retired alterationists ... and they are always happy to fit my banana republic dress shirts.

if i didn't have two lovely grandmothers, i still doubt i could be bothered to spend $200+ on a fancy dress shirt ... i'd still be grabbing $40- sale banana republic dress shirts (solids and subtle stripes - none of that colorblocky multistripe metrosexual victim nonsense) and be spending $50 at a tailor's having them taken in ... cheaper, and better fitting too.

also i will point out that my grandmothers are routinely *amazed* by the quality of construction of banana republic dress shirts. we are talking stuff like the durability and construction of the seams (stitched up and down in both directions), triangular gussets at the bottom of the side seams, amazingly well-constructed collar plackets, high quality fabric (basically as good as you can get w/o going double-ply), etc.

Unfortunately I've never tried on a dress shirt that I loved that was under 150$. Although I've never tried Brooks Brothers, I think those look great. Good fabric too. I think you can get them custom tailored at the store?

As far as others I like:

comme des garçons

Seize Sur Vingt

Helmut Lang

Paul Smith

For my body type, Banana, DKNY, Boss, etc. NEVER fit me right. Always too blousy

do brooks bros fit real big or is there a slimmish fit?

i dont want people to see my nips or nothni but im a slight/tall fellow and am just curious what has a solid fit?

i doubt ill be able to escape trial and error though

i started something

Yes, Brooks Brothers does slim fits that aren't too slim as well as the classic styles. And yes, they also do custom tailoring. Plus, I believe the majority of their shirts and ties are made in the good U.S.A. but are woven in England and Italy. Pink seems to be a relatively new phenomenon in US? It's a mainstay in England, I know, but they seem to be doing a lot of aggressive expansion in America, or have they always been around?