australia :: melbourne :: shopping

Tyro1

ahh smith st. Yes i went to a store there but never saw this cafe. It runs parallel to brunswick yes... There is also a pub on Brunswick that should be noted. It has $4 pizzas in the afternoon through the evening. Not a bad deal and the pizzas are pretty interesting. The pub is called Bimbo Deluxe or Bimbos for short..

FAT ppl are nice to me... maybe cos i prob pay for one of their sa's...

general tip tho, if youre wearing clothes that the shop sells (eg wear matboy at FAT), the sa's are always nicer cos they know u might actually buy stuff (espesh true for places such as ASSIN)

I don't expect SA to be extremely friendly or anything I realise not all people can do that but... do your bloody job instead of just standing around fixing your bloody hair... you're paid to provide a service not to model on runway... beside for me it's also the general pretentiousness that keeps me away from that store... don't want it to rub off on me haha

ASSIN SA are actually nice even though I went there a few times wearing stuff that are far cry from stuff they sell...

The SA at assin are very nice. They were very friendly, one even asked me if i was a designer. I guess i demanded some respect because i knew exactly what i wanted to look at.

The only problems were thier lack of knowledge on some of thier product, but hey i can't blame them for that. I don't know everything about the products i sell. The other was the first time i went in there one of the SA, who was a woman tried telling me that thier stock was the latest season even though it was approaching nearly a year old. Im not sure if she was lying or just didn't know. Probably lying. She also told me blatently when i questioned her that it was and tried to explain to me how the seasons worked in France. Funny shit.

:P

thank you melbourne for a wonderful big day out.

highlights

cookie - awesome bar with an awesome selection. for a start, it has something like 15 different varieties of absinthe.

espy - "the place where any melbourne/aussie act worth its salt goes to cut their teeth" i'm just quoting a mate of mine here. saw little red play, which was good fun.

i liked what was available in terms of shopping. you guys have got a good selection of the higher end stuff and also some good streetwears. i didn't get to check out too much but i liked whatever i saw.

i got a msg from FAT that they're going to stock APRIL 77.

nooooo! spot is blown!

yeah i mentioned this in the a77 thread (i think?) a month or so ago when a guy in fat recognised my a77 jeans and mentioned theyll be stocking them early 08..

lets hope a77 isn't bastardized, but the fact they mention 'great prices' suggests otherwise..

wonder how much non-denim/jeans theyll be getting in?

I hope they are cheap... but I say they wont be cheap monday prices... $200 at least

yeah, im thinking around the $200 mark.

but up against tsubi/claude maus ($300+?), theyre gonna look pretty attractive to the 'discerning' fat consumer.. especially with the rad sales assistant telling them they are a rad brand and they look rad and theyre at a rad price point

rad.

how much room will fat have to play with here anyway? they already stock tsubi, cluade, cm, nudie, matboy, etc jeans - they can hardly bring in a plethora of different styles/colours in overdrives, colourdrives, etc.

I'd be interested if they got coated, metallic, gunmetal, etc styles...

Wud kop.

Cheap mondays are still like $100 arent they, at alpha? They are £45 in london, which is the same?

Think they've dropped to $90 at some places since fat began stocking them..

Its worth dropping an extra benjy franklin and getting a pair of jeans that will actually last IMO...

any melbournians dabble in photography?

looking to upgrade from my film SLR to a nice D80 w/ 18-135 or similar.

teds/michaels quoting me about 1700 AUD for the above, but the same setup goes on ebay for like 1300 (if not less)..

my friends dad (prof. photographer) has told me to buy my gear from a (local) reputable/authorised seller, because shit will inevitably go wrong and its comforting to have that immediate support..

but fuck, $500 in my pocket for buying the same camera from some dude in HK is mighty tempting

my question is, anywhere in melbourne that could beat that 1700? on second thoughts, is there even anything that wrong with buying from overseas/non-authorised aussie seller? fuck, im clueless when it comes to this shit, just dont wanna buy over ebay only to have some SLR arrive wrapped in butchers paper...

home, why are you even considering buying a DSLR in australia? warranty?

look up if buying international is warranty covered.

cause nikon australia really fucks up (aka, rapes) the prices in comparison to other prices that can be found internationally (or on ebay).

honestly.

hello melbournians

home, most cameras that you buy internationally from either retail store or ebay whatever come with an international warranty so I think you are safe.

If you decide you must buy in Australia places like Harvey Norman will give a discount if you pay with cash and buy a few things i.e body + lens + memory card. I know they stock the D80 and Nikkon always has things like $100-200 dollars back via redemption or whatever so i guess if you get a bit of a discount in store and then get the offer from nikkon the price wont be too far from international pricing.

i've been looking at getting a dslr myself too (d40x) and comparing prices from stores to ebay/online. been wondering why there was such a big difference in price - either stores were ripping you off or there's some catch/scam with the online deals.

i just googled for prices, got to shopbot.com.au and found the cheapest prices from australian online shops.

http://www.quikshop.com.au/nikon-d40x-twin-lens-japanese-imported-stock-p-22614.html

http://www.einfotech.com.au/shop/product_info.php?pName=nikon-d80-102-mp-with-18135mm-lens9-shipping-anywhere-in-aus

i've never bought gadgets online, so i'm not sure if these are legit. any other reason as to not buy from these online stores?