australia :: melbourne :: shopping

Tyro1

no boutique prices down.

i will never go to another dec 26th (lie)

Yeah, I pretty much gave up two years ago. Only good if your in the market for basics like underwear, socks, etc.

All the good stuff never goes down, better off keeping your eye on supermarket/ebay if you want bargains..

who the fuck buys underwear/socks on boxing day?

the kents at GPC hid all the good shit (ksubi, another boy, most of the good beta state) shit so that people wouldn't mark the prices down.

Don't know whether another boy quite falls into the 'good shit' catagory - but yes, the whole GPC institution is not worth the property it stands on.

aw i wear matboy :^)

Same - have a few pieces. In fact, my matboy shoes are probably my favourite pair (construction quality is another issue though - they are nearly unwearable now). Although, admittedly, all of my stuff is from seasons past. The new shit is pretty outlandish. Hoping they turn it down a level or two for A/W 08.

I see Another Boy as a cheaper alternative with wider appeal (duh). The fact that its stocked primarily in GPC doesn't exactly help it's cause. Although, to be honest, the whole concept of Another Boy was well and truly played (at least with the indie-elite) long before it hit the shelves at GP. Its just now become a whole lot more accessible to 'that' demographic that manages to blindly follow then ruin/overdo every adolescent trend in Australian fashion.

surely it is all over chapel street... ;)

no, actually.

why does everyone think chapel street is swarming with fashionistas?

most of the dudes basically wear either formalwear, some shit from GPC, or cotton on and an ed hardy shirt.

serz.

not sure how that applies to anything?

I wasnt having a go at the material boy design... just saying that the another boy stuff looks like really watered down stuff... the fact that it is really only available from gp says it all.

fashion isn't all about wearing frute swagz or avant garde (although comparitively, another boy is quite avant garde in comparison to other GPC brands like wut, volcom? dickies?). just because it's, as you say, a watered down matboy doesn't mean it's not good at all.

in most cases, it's the watered down shit that is more wearable.

runs trhough fittzroy, really starts at gertrude street, near the museum then heads north... runs parralell with smith street nicholas street, lygon, rathedown etc...

yeah, quite a quirky place. also agree that smith is picking up its game. would love to buy a run-down townhouse in that area and renovate, but prices have risen pretty dramatically over the last 5-10 years, out of a first home buyers budget it think :(

brunswick has fat (normally got the best dudes selection of all the melb fats, AFAIK), alphaville, venus & mars (pretty shit), extinct (pretty shit), bronze snake (pretty shit), buddy love (smith st), and heaps of quirky little places. definitely worth scoping.

btw, dude at fat stopped me the other day, asking about my april 77s. said fat will be stocking april 77 (denim and jackets) from feb this year. initial thought was sweet, but soon realised prices will be over-the-top and april77 might very well lose its appeal (same thing happened when GP starting stocking tsubi). hopefully nobody notices..

hey guys, i'm heading to melb next week, and was wondering if you'd heard of these clubs and any good/bad/ugly experiences you've had at them.

- TFU

- Loft

- 3rd class

- tramp

- the lounge

- revolver

- valve

- thurs night @ metro

Cheers

try out cq, i forget which day though, MAYBE watermarks on saturdays, qbh on some weeks, lotus on thursday and/or?? wednesday. i'm biased against loft 'cause i was there for nearly every week for about a year. metro looks like crap. all depends on what crowd (age groups, wogs, asians, mixed etc.) and music u like.

try out cq, i forget which day though, MAYBE watermarks on saturdays, qbh on some weeks, lotus on thursday and/or?? wednesday.

probably some of the worst advice youre likely to receive.

what sort of scene/music are you into, ben?

probably some of the worst advice youre likely to receive.

what sort of scene/music are you into, ben?

well they're the ones my non asian friends normally go to and they keep going (evo is popular amongst them too) and the age bracket of my friends are around 18 to 21. i can imagine they prolli won't be like most people on sufu since a lot of them are the corny fluoro top wearing gym junkies.

spot on.

yeah scope third class, pick of the litter.

hahaha,

Yeh check out F4 http://www.ffour.com.au/

for a great night on saturdays, then again depending on what you like. Don't follow trends with music. Also i quite like E55 on elizabeth st for some chilled nights on couches drinking jugs and chatting. But yeh totally depending on what you are into. Melbourne caters for all.

Yeh i either shop in fitzroy around brunswick st or smith st. Two cool shops.

Some Buddy Loves You

193 Smith St, Fitzroy

And also

All of the Above

gd flr 109 Victoria Street, fitzroy

I think it was mentioned but Alphaville sells April 77 jeans as well.

All of the Above

gd flr 109 Victoria Street, fitzroy

Must check this out. What sorta brands do they stock?

I think it was mentioned but Alphaville sells April 77 jeans as well.

Really? I've been a frequent visitor of Alphaville the last 2 years and never noticed April 77 there. Which one: city or fitzroy? Prices?

Really? I've been a frequent visitor of Alphaville the last 2 years and never noticed April 77 there. Which one: city or fitzroy? Prices?

ye, i would like to know aswell. havnt been to the fitzroy one, but i havnt seen a77 at the city alphaville.

they got a tiny selection of vibskov at the city alphaville (tiny meaning like 3 pieces in the entire mens section); the SA said they would be (hopefully) getting more this year.