australia :: melbourne :: shopping

Tyro1

^ Devo. Hope the phone was an old piece of shit! Haha.

Before I go asking around like a noob. Anybody want to hit me up with info on the best way to handle finances when in Japan? I know quite a few of the peeps in here have been before and just wondering how you did it?

I checked those travel cards and they are retardedly expensive with their fees. Are travel cheques easy to cash in and not hit with bad fees in Japan? I heard Visa and Mastercard don't work either. :(

Any help would be appreciated guys. Thanks!

Japan is a cashed based society, with little crime you won't get robbed. I took around $4k AUD in cash, kept about ¥30,000 on me for everyday stuff like food, topping up my Suica etc plus more Yen for what ever I was planning to buy.

You CAN use certain credit cards / debit cards depending on what type it is. My Mastercard worked fine at FIL Tokyo even though the first time it wouldn't work, although it didn't work at Comme Des Garcon yet my friend's did.

Personally I'd suggest just take as much cash as you can, I wouldn't bother with travel cheques.

kuugaia: i have been to tokyo twice (once for 2 weeks, the other for 3.5 months); each time i took about 40k in yen as cash (as mentioned, safety isn't an issue at all) and the rest i used my visa debit card. although most places won't use it, whenever i needed money i would just go to citibank (the main one is in shinjuku) as they accept almost all cards and would take out whatever i needed. depending on your bank, you will get stung with a international withdrawal/conversion fee, but i took about 55k out at a time so it worked out to $15 AUS a withdrawal or so. sounds like alot, but it was convenient for me and i usually only made 2-3 withdrawals a trip. the citibank ATM's have an english menu too, unlike some other banks.

edit: i'm with ANZ; other banks might have better/zero conversion rates etc.

yeah, not huge scope to cc things in jp. otherwise, wizard clear advantage is a clear winner. heard nab have some 'gold' card with similar features, albeit with a monthly fee.

have anyone loaded their wizard cc into the positive and successfully withdrew cash? i remember trying a couple times in hk without luck.

iphone 4 :( Worst part is that I still have to pay off the contract...

Fuck me. Does insurance cover lost phones? Because if it doesn't, it should.

Thanks for the help guys. I thought of just bringing cash but I'm not sure whether its a good idea to carry a '$x' of cash no matter how safe a country is. I'm currently looking into ING Direct with their Orange Everyday account. Just has a flat rate of $2.50 per ATM withdrawal and no conversion rates. Seems pretty good to me, although I'm worried about whether or not I can even find an ATM to withdraw from...I assume it'd work in that citibank in shinjuku...

Three people complimented me on my pants today, one person invited me to a party and one gave me The Look of Shame :(

what pants were you wearing??

i thought fat were only carrying womens cdg?

also, anywhere to kop cheap cdg / junya in tokyo? seconds stores?

they are only carrying the women's line, but the shorts/pants are pretty much unisex and a small fits a 30/32.....

There was PAM sale in syd last week. I think the first time there has been one here. It was shit.

Like previously said, tonnes of PAM t's. One rack of BBC. Handful of pieces from the other brands mentioned but nothing good. Best thing there was a pair of Undercover pyjamas. They were 'marked down' to $700.

Almost bought a PAM rainproof parka just for bike rides etc but they didn't take card and i was too lazy to get cash out and come back.