Maison Martin Margiela

joey_formal

if you're really into 2007 margiela i'm not trying to rain on your parade. i guess i am more disappointed than anything. my favorite labels - margiela and helmut lang - are shadows of their former selves. it's not just the price point either. i bet lots of people who read this shit don't even know margiela used to design for hermes.

to me, visvim is a lot closer to what i liked about their past lives than what the brands are now, but the design is different and they are japanese.

i recommend you check them out more closely - no toys. particularly pay attention to what their textiles must cost them especially vs the price tag. those hoodies are a luxurious steal compared to some BS $300 MMM t shirt.

i do love that line 14 though.

yeah on hermes but veronique nichanian still designed the menswear. i don't even consider today's hl to be in any way related to the line with hl at the helm. wonder what happened to that giant eagle statue btw.

i'm also on a visvim kick, it's kind of funny it's considered to be completely separate from high fashion for the sole reason that it has a completely different retail distribution / media coverage in the us. whereas in london it's sold at the same place that basically doubles as the cdg flagship (i think nakamura also does consulting for them as well).

anyway it's the only stuff at that price point i even consider buying these days. i bought a pair of serras for about 15% less than the prada boots i bought in 98 and quality wise they are as good as if not superior, although it has nothing to do with the prada boots not having riri pulls on the side zip.

if you're really into 2007 margiela i'm not trying to rain on your parade. i guess i am more disappointed than anything. my favorite labels - margiela and helmut lang - are shadows of their former selves. it's not just the price point either. i bet lots of people who read this shit don't even know margiela used to design for hermes.

oh snap, you are so educated and knowledgeable . Hermes is a soccer team right?(10)

if i didn't have a friend who worked for MMM i would actually believe half the shit you have said.

oh snap, you are so educated and knowledgeable . Hermes is a soccer team right?(10)

if i didn't have a friend who worked for MMM i would actually believe half the shit you have said.

i don't know what you're disputing...

the reason i bring up the fact that MMM designed for hermes is to underscore the fact that it's supposed to be a luxury house.

what's your friend do?

i don't know what you're disputing...

the reason i bring up the fact that MMM designed for hermes is to underscore the fact that it's supposed to be a luxury house.

what's your friend do?

i don't need and won't say it, just to let you know that someone on this forum actually knows the bullshit numbers you are preaching. stop talking about shit you don't have an inside knowledge of. not saying that margiela hasn't been rising in prices, but the costs for the house per fabric, zippers etc that you are putting off are ridiculously low and far from the truth.

i could care less if you have friends that spend 10k of margiela on one day or that you have spent a ridiculous amount of money on MM through your lifetime, it doesn't make you educated in terms of production costs as is clearly shown

i don't need and won't say it, just to let you know that someone on this forum actually knows the bullshit numbers you are preaching. stop talking about shit you don't have an inside knowledge of. not saying that margiela hasn't been rising in prices, but the costs for the house per fabric, zippers etc that you are putting off are ridiculously low and far from the truth.

i could care less if you have friends that spend 10k of margiela on one day or that you have spent a ridiculous amount of money on MM through your lifetime, it doesn't make you educated in terms of production costs as is clearly shown

how much did your friend tell you it costs?

• 3 weeks later...

pcoatai3.jpg

Jet, that jacket really is awesome. The details on the size of the lapels and the buttons are great. Also, I do like blue outerwear and it seems that the sufu-type brands rarely do blue, many focusing on the all-black look for winter and greys and whites only for s/s.

I hope someone in new york carries this jacket, I'd have to get it, I'm almost scared to know the price.

I was just in IF in Soho today but didnt really like the Margiela stuff they had there. Though the knits are nice...

Thanks goldengloves! Once again I'm amazed by your knowledge of all of this. I've actually learned a lot about style from your previous posts.

And from the looks of this jacket, 1290 doesn't sound like such a bad price point compared to similar brands. When I was at IF in Soho they certainly had much less nice, flimsier jackets that seemed to be from f/w 07 Margiela for 1200ish. Now I have to go check out the fit in the NY store.

The margiela store has it, at least in LA they do. (I also think I remember seeing it in NY) Retail price on it is $1290 I believe, maybe more. It's an awesome jacket and the buttons have this wrinkled silver on them which is a very cool touch.

retail is between 800-900. I think 895.

sorry if this has been answered before, but how does the collection numbering system for mmm work?

edit: looked on the site...

010.gifGarments remodelled by hands

10.gifCollection

14.gifWardrobe

11.gifCollection of accessories

22.gifCollection of Shoes

sorry if this has been answered before, but how does the collection numbering system for mmm work?

edit: looked on the site...

010.gifGarments remodelled by hands

10.gifCollection

14.gifWardrobe

11.gifCollection of accessories

22.gifCollection of Shoes

Thats self explanatory dude. These are the men's stuff.

0 10 is the men's hand made stuff. The artisan stuff are one off and usually available in MMM special boutique and not all the time I heard. Women's is 0.

10 is the men's collection which includes jeans, shirts and Ts etc etc

14 is supposed to be the men's formal work wear but I buy my shirts from 10 anyway.

11 is belts and wallets etc.

22 is shoes.

afaik 14 is a line in which he presents exact replicas of vintage clothing he/they found but with better materials

Ive been to a few MMM shops but I have never seen 14 before.

even ebay seldom turn up line 14 but from time to time do turn up 0 10 which should be more rare than 14.

14 is "wardrobe for men."

The infamous leather jacket that's sueper-tough to get hold of is from the 14 line, FYI.

0 10 is the artisanal collection. You can find them only at MMM retail shops.

14 is "wardrobe for men."

The infamous leather jacket that's sueper-tough to get hold of is from the 14 line, FYI.

0 10 is the artisanal collection. You can find them only at MMM retail shops.

BTW any ideas whether MMM sell that split toe boots or preferably shoes for mens?

Think it will be cool if I wear that to office someday especially in brown cow colour. Mooo.

BTW any ideas whether MMM sell that split toe boots or preferably shoes for mens?

Think it will be cool if I wear that to office someday especially in brown cow colour. Mooo.

i think the tabi shoes were made only for the womens collection. however, there was a season in which he did it in the white/black canvas sneaker style and also a wellington boot version of the tabi shoes. those i may consider to be quite unisex as the normal tabi boots that were produced then had a very high, thick heel that was supposed to resemble the actual circumference of the human heel but stacked up.

if you ask me, i find the current variations of the tabi, especially the one with the stiletto, to be quite ugly.

mmm does produce mens shoes. you should be able to find it online here.