Maison Martin Margiela

joey_formal

Heres a quick thought:

As you all may know, he has had this mysterious anonymity surrounding him since he began designing. Well, what if he passed on the torch, sold out, whatever, and isnt the designer anymore at all, but only associated with the brand as a founder or even less?

This could explain the whole "decline" in quality and creativity.

Then again, it was just a quick theory. I dont want the guy with the friend who works there to be all angry with me too!

People have said this for a bajillion years. It's well-known that Margiela himself rarely does any of the hand-on designing, mostly supervising and indulging in specific projects (I would assume the the majority of the Artisanal is still under his direct influence). The last collection was a bit of an "enh", but it's still one of the better and more-understated designer collections out there.

• 2 weeks later...

he's been on so-called "holidays" for several months now, i'm not even sure the artisanal line is still designed by him.

imo, he's doing the same thing Helmut Lang and Jil Sander did after their houses were bought by Prada.

He just does not fit in the commercial scheme established by the Diesel group.

• 2 weeks later...

don't know if this has already been discussed in another topic but did you hear about the maison martin margiela exibition at the haus der kunst in munich?

had the chance to visit the exibitions last weekend and fortunately it was allowed to take pics inside the show, so check out my impressions below.

the exibition was divided in 20 or so different chapters. all discussed a certain aspect (e.g. tailoring, using second hand material, change of the silhouette over the years, the aids benefit shirt, tabi-shoe design etc) of margiela's work.

found it quite interesting and if you happen to be in munich by june first, you shouldn't miss it.

comment from the museums website:

'everybody is influenced by comme des garçons and martin margiela. everybody, who is conscious of what it means to live in today’s world, is influenced by him' marc jacobs, women's wear daily

the fashion label ‘maison martin margiela’ (mmm) was founded in paris 20 years ago – occasion to stage an unusual exhibition. sub-divided into different sections, the presentation allows for insights into stylistic devices and designs of mmm, who redefine fashion as once coco chanel and yves saint laurent did. however, maison martin margiela does not only create fashion: their creations and fashion shows should always be read as critical and partly radical comments on the world of fashion. they rebel against the constraints of an industry, where perfection and image, narcissism and fetishisation play a central role. margiela’s answer to this, his methods, are as unusual as they are uncompromising to the fashion world: instead of building a star cult around the fashion designer, mmm only appears as a team. margiela himself never gives interviews, nor does he present himself in public: it is thereby not the designer who is in the limelight but his creations. also at fashion shows mmm focuses on the products: the models are made to be ‘invisible’ through long fake fringes, masks made of tights or large sun glasses presenting the creations ‘incognito’. the shows themselves do not take place in glamorous locations, but rather in train wagons, on the lawn of a football stadium or in a bar, where the regular clientele is also present. characteristic for martin margiela’s creations is the principle of deconstruction: mmm demasks fashion’s smooth perfection and brings secrets to light. the traces of planning and fabrication, the tailor’s tricks are revealed; shoulder pads and lining, seams and topstitches are not hidden, but compose the exterior surface of the piece of clothing. mmm arranges and elaborately handcrafts second-hand materials, the use of which is practically unthinkable in haute couture, into unique pieces: a waistcoat for women made of porcelain shards, t-shirts made of plastic bags or a top made of worn, white leather gloves. martin margiela’s creations frequently show the traces of decay and destructibility, and thereby move more often than not between garbage and fairy tale.

IMG_9248.jpg

IMG_9249.jpg

IMG_9250.jpg

IMG_9252.jpg

IMG_9253.jpg

IMG_9254.jpg

IMG_9256.jpg

IMG_9257.jpg

IMG_9258.jpg

IMG_9260.jpg

Paris Hilton is totally unfashionable. like karl said, you can't afford style unless you already have it. or something like that.

Anyway, I'm really intrigued by the mystery behind the Martin Margiela. He and his colleagues are so secret and mysterious.. cant help daydreaming about the margiela and employees everyday life

was that check shirt from that collection like 10 years ago where it was all life-sized doll clothes? I loved that concept
Opposition to the Standardised Body

Margiela loves to play with human dimensions. Articles from the fall/winter collection 1994-1995 were based on toy dolls' wardrobes, as originally produced for Ken and Barbie or GI Joe, and then enlarged to human dimensions by MMM. The starting point for these was the standardised body - because toy dolls served as a miniature version of the ideal adult body image. Yet when enlarged to human scale, a multitude of discrepancies and disproportions become visible. To actually produce snap fasteners and zippers in the minuteness appropriate for dolls is too elaborate a process. When enlarged to human dimensions by MMM, they appear almost monstrous. Detailed finishes are often lacking in dolls' clothing in order to keep production costs as low as possible: surpluses of thread are not cut off; seams on collars or backs of garments are not fully stitched together. In MMM's collection these deliberately used stylistic devices appear both comical and disquieting.

oh yes! loveeeee the flat collection too. thanks for the pictures. hope the exhibition stops by asia!

Guest jmatsu
I feel ya

my bag broke earlier this year, but it was the leather that broke, not the latch. Gotta get it fixed when I've got the cash. Hassle all around.

but my bag was like $20 @ TJ Maxx lol

i know u all jewish pride and all, but damn! c'mon! fucking just buy a new bag already!

• 5 weeks later...
Thoughts on the mmm jewelry drop on oki-ni?

I'll admit I"m a bit overwhelmed myself but I really want to pick up a few pieces... pissed that the nail ring is already sold out.

http://www.oki-ni.com/icat/martinmargielaall?cm_mmc=CRM-_-Broadcast-_-042009-_-bc

i think most of that stuff is last season's, but i may be wrong.

i like the scales bracelet, the scratched ring and nail ring. but that stuff is brass with silver coating, so i think it's overpriced considering i can probably get that done myself in silver for half the price.

buitlnwkkgrhgookkyejllm.jpg

Yes! This is an almost never seen item for Margiela lovers! The man behind the mystery is revealed!!! From a set of posters (same one, it was so cool and not so expensive, we bought a few of them, gave some to fashion friends and are selling the five we kept minus our own one soon!!) we acquired during our Margiela and Belgian Fashion and Comme des Garcons phase.. A 24" x 36" poster print- thin paper, digital photo printed portrait of the man Margiela himself. This came with a paper confirming where the image came from- a photocopy of the original source material (i will include a copy of this). As I am cleaning out my whole fashion collection, check out my other Margiela stuff, including a promo video and various stickers/lookbook promotions... SHipping will be priority mail with confirmation, 10.00 USD. insurance recommended). Paypal only. Payment within three days of auction end. Email questions. Thanks. No returns. Sorry I can't combine shipping with other items because this will be sent in a separate cardboard tube. FOR international, estimated shipping is 16 dollars (i have to check again because of the strange dimensions as I;ve never shipping a tube before..). P.S, the starting price is the same price we bought it, 8.88 each!! FUN ITEM!!!!

mm, is that really you?

Thoughts on the mmm jewelry drop on oki-ni?

I'll admit I"m a bit overwhelmed myself but I really want to pick up a few pieces... pissed that the nail ring is already sold out.

the la margiela store had the rings in stock when i went by in like jan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...